Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Evo 2 Dual lighting project for SAR

Ive mentioned my Evo 2 Dual drone lighting project (for SAR) using small and bright LED flashlights. It finally warmed up enough to fly last night to test out a few lights. Im still working on the payload drop clip.

Here is the video of the project thus far.

I think you will need a bigger platform than the EVO II for this project. The weight of the flashlights combined with the EVO II's short battery life makes it a far less than ideal platform for this setup. The thermal camera is nice because it does not need additional power and can see through obstacles like tree cover and it also does not add weight to the drone.

Another thing to consider is that the drone's already rather short shelf life will be further shortened carrying a load like this that was not accounted for in the original specs for the motors and ESC's.

Reactions: TSL
I think you will need a bigger platform than the EVO II for this project. The weight of the flashlights combined with the EVO II's short battery life makes it a far less than ideal platform for this setup. The thermal camera is nice because it does not need additional power and can see through obstacles like tree cover and it also does not add weight to the drone.

Another thing to consider is that the drone's already rather short shelf life will be further shortened carrying a load like this that was not accounted for in the original specs for the motors and ESC's.
Thanks for the input. Autel and Foxfury are releasing an even heavier search light option authorized by Autel to mount to the Evo 2 so They must think its Ok to carry a lighting payload.

The D100 light is so large it need its own landing gear.

Thanks for the input. Autel and Foxfury are releasing an even heavier search light option authorized by Autel to mount to the Evo 2 so They must think its Ok to carry a lighting payload.

The D100 light is so large it need its own landing gear.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out, most SAR drones are much bigger and most focus on the non visible light spectrum since tree cover can make nearly any visible light solution ineffective. I think the Dragonfish outfitted with a thermal camera and an automated grid search pattern combined with real-time AI powered thermal analysis could be a really useful SAR drone.

Correct but I dont own that drone. Im making do with an autel Eveo 2 Dual. That is why Im conducting these experiments on different lighting options. I want bright and long beam throw but the lightest package I can find. Its a work in progress. And its centered around the drone I own. Since this evo 2 Dual has the thermal cam, its a good choice for SAR. The lighting project will make it more useful and I wont fly with it in place all of the time, just when it makes sense to do so.

Last edited:
Reactions: UasDriver

I don't agree with you on battery time and the weight. i personally liked the second set up at a 150 ft but that's just what i thought looked good to me. you are really thinking everything out. i'm very interested to see what you come up with and there are so many different style of lights out there. i wish you good luck looks to me that you know what your doing i'm going to enjoy watching how it turns out. Tom

Ive mentioned my Evo 2 Dual drone lighting project (for SAR) using small and bright LED flashlights. It finally warmed up enough to fly last night to test out a few lights. Im still working on the payload drop clip.

This is the Exolander lighting system and it provides a very high lumen beam for spotlight/searchlight operations.

This is the Exolander lighting system and it provides a very high lumen beam for spotlight/searchlight operations.

And still unavailable or even a price quote for what the d100 might cost. And its only 2300 lumen good for 100 feet. My DIY version is either 4000 lumen all the up to 300 feet or 3200 lumen also up to 300 feet. And I wont require separate landing gear.

Reactions: MNT DRONE SOLUTIONS
Technology is moving along quickly. I can see a mounted light that doesn't weigh much more than a pen light that can be switched on remotely as needed so much smaller and lighter batteries can be used much like LED landing lights shining straight down on some drones now.

What we really need for e-cars, drones, lights, and everything else battery powered is another leap in battery technology that doubles then triples the capacity to store energy without more weight and we need them to be fast charged in less than 10 minutes.

Outstanding presentation! Great work! Thanks for sharing!

And still unavailable or even a price quote for what the d100 might cost. And its only 2300 lumen good for 100 feet. My DIY version is either 4000 lumen all the up to 300 feet or 3200 lumen also up to 300 feet. And I wont require separate landing gear.

Yes, sadly not available yet. Keep in mind though, (my personal assumption) that the average pilot does not have the equipment nor the engineering knowledge you do and would prefer to purchase a similar product. Again, great stuff, thanks for sharing!

Technology is moving along quickly. I can see a mounted light that doesn't weigh much more than a pen light that can be switched on remotely as needed so much smaller and lighter batteries can be used much like LED landing lights shining straight down on some drones now.

What we really need for e-cars, drones, lights, and everything else battery powered is another leap in battery technology that doubles then triples the capacity to store energy without more weight and we need them to be fast charged in less than 10 minutes.

Every year I hear there's a breakthrough in that area....then all goes silent until the next year. I really think electric cars are what's going to push battery technology to the next level. When you have that many engineers working on something with that much incentive to succeed there's bound to be a breakthrough that is easy to manufacture, cost efficient, and won't burn your house down in the middle of the night. Apparently meeting all 3 requirements is harder than it sounds.

Reactions: Eagle928

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller