Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

evo 2 6k flying sideways

Ncuozzo

Reaction score
Recently got an Evo 2 6K it seems like it’s flying sideways no matter what,even if the stick is pushed forward straight all the way. Any ideas why?

It’s your compass I bet. Mine is always a mess. Have to calibrate every flight.

This is a little disconcerting to read...I was reading about a crooked horizon and it crabbing in old posts. The dealer I just placed my order with said those were old issues and long since fixed in newer firmware updates. I'll be deeply disappointed if mine does this. Of course, I will do a IMU calibration before I even fly it.

This is a little disconcerting to read...I was reading about a crooked horizon and it crabbing in old posts. The dealer I just placed my order with said those were old issues and long since fixed in newer firmware updates. I'll be deeply disappointed if mine does this. Of course, I will do a IMU calibration before I even fly it.
Yeah man Idk it’s not terrible but it’s definitely noticeable. I plan on doing commercial work with this drone but if it’s going to be doing that all the time the idk.

Sometimes my gimbal faces towards the left, even tho it's not supposed to turn horizontally. I ALWAYS calibrate my compass every time I launch from a new location

Recently got an Evo 2 6K it seems like it’s flying sideways no matter what,even if the stick is pushed forward straight all the way. Any ideas why?
Maybe you should try CALIBRATING THE CONTROL STICKS. I've done it on a DJI, but have not had to do it on any EVO2s. Maybe someone can describe how to do it. I have had 4 evo 2s. None ever had the problem you describe. If calibrating the control sticks doesn't fix it, I suspect you got a faulty drone. If you bought it locally from a retailer and you're still in the 30-45 day return window, return it or exchange it immediately. Autel's drones are almost like animals, each one seems to have slightly different quirks and or problems. Many come with issues that you simply can't ignore and warrant a return. I only buy Autel drones through high end retailers, because they give me a 30-45 day return policy, no questions asked. That's why I have had 4. I only own 2. The other two had to be replaced. Autels quality control and consistency is sporadic, at least in my experience. They also will do everything in their power not to fix or replace a drone if it's sent back to them. I know from experience. Regarding their drones, It's like you can't be 100 percent sure what you will get. I'd say there is about a 10 % flaw rate. DJI is more reliable, but I love Autels freedom of being able to fly where and when you want , or simply not having to have an internet connection and go through all kinds of clearances to just get off the ground. Anyway, your drone shouldn't be trying to fly sideways.

On a side note; Flying an autel evo 2 sideways keeps the batterries cooler by a consistant 10% during high speed flights, in my experience. More air can get in the intake vents. The EVO 2 will over heat and warn you when it's internal temp hits 145 degree F. I have been able to keep my EVO 2s at 120F or below , internally, during hot days consistently when I turn the drone and fly sideways on the way to my subject and on the way home. I live in hot and sunny florida.

Here is Autel's video instruction on calibrating your remote controller and controller stick calibration.

I’ve noticed mine does the same thing. I plan to recalibrate the IMU and compass to see if that helps but haven’t had the time.

I believe everyone is very correct. Compass calibration, IMU, and then gimbal.

Can confirm someone confirm for Satans-Milkman the sequence, I always get that mixed up

The sequence is IMU -> Compass -> Gimbal -> Controller

Also I should state it’s not literally flying sideways just a little to the side and straight if that makes sense

That does change everything. I think the original description was a little confusing. So based on that explanation it is not as major of an issue as it sounded. For this problem I would do an IMU -> Compass -> gimbal calibration and not calibrate the sticks at all. Mine had a tilted horizon as well out of the box and after performing those three calibrations it improved the problem.

Keep in mind the drone is a tiny 4lb craft high up in the air. the gimbal will tilt quite often when you pan fast, are flying in a cross wind, perform an orbit in a cross wind, etc. I have had tilted horizon issues on every drone I've owned since 2014. All you need to do is straighten the horizon when editing. For pictures you just rotate it until the horizon is level; for video you just keyframe the rotation and add a slight zoom to crop the edges.

What I have found is after certain movements especially on a windy day, the gimbal will be tilted but will slowly straighten itself. That is why I keyframe the rotation when filming video because the tilt percentage changes depending on the wind and drone movement. A little known trick is to turn the map in the upper left corner into the little radar screen by tapping it. The bottom half of the radar screen will show you how much crosswind the drone is fighting while flying. The more crosswind it is fighting, the more likely the horizon will be tilted.

Last edited:
I reported this issue on this forum weeks ago with my 8k Evo 2. Same problem as yours, as soon as it passes a waypoint it changes direction to face south and film south NO MATTER WHAT I PRGAMME THE WAYPOINT to do. This has ONLY started happening since the latest firmware update and again after much research on here it is now not possible to roll back.

After 4 week of waiting for Autel to come back to me they said:

"Hello Steve,

Thank you for your patience.

Today, I have received a response from our repair team after reviewing your video and your concern. Please find the attached file below. The resolution provided is to "please set the yaw angle for each waypoint in the waypoint task. The user needs to set the yaw angle in the action option when editing each waypoint."

Let me know if you have any more questions, comments, or concerns. Feel free to contact us at [email protected] or you can check our website at Store | Autel Robotics for more information.

Best Regards,

Gian
Customer Support
www.autelrobotics.com

WELL THAT WAS FUC*ING USELESS!!!!!! My response:

"That is no help at all.

I know all about changing camera angles and actions at each waypoint through the waypoint settings.

I have now found out that when I have entered all my waypoints in and finished setting up my mission I need to go back into the overall mission settings screen and change the heading from custom to route. If I don't do this the drone points and films south after each waypoint.

You have also not solved the other problem I reported when flying in missions the video starts and stops recording at each waypoint. Again I have found a workaround where I press record AFTER waypoint 2 it records the whole mission in one video (sometimes but not always). If I don't manually stop and start recording myself after waypoint 2 it records each waypoint journey as a separate video file, so if i have 40 waypoints it will have 40 videos. I am a member on the Autel Forum where several other users tell me they have this same problem too.

None of the above happened until I upgraded the firmware.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d