Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Every scene in this video is now buried by lava

HiloHawaiian

Reaction score
Remembering beautiful Kapoho, the Big Island of Hawaii's oceanic wonderland. My all-time favorite snorkeling place. 100's of lava pools were nurseries to every kind of sub-tropical Pacific fish and coral.

Sadly, on June 5-6-7th 2018, every scene in the video was covered by lava. The Kapoho Tide pools, and the surrounding houses, were entirely buried. My heart goes-out to the home owners, all safely evacuated. I still can’t believe it’s gone...

The drone scenes were taken in Dec. of 2017, the underwater scenes from July/ Aug. 2017

Remembering beautiful Kapoho, the Big Island of Hawaii's oceanic wonderland. My all-time favorite snorkeling place. 100's of lava pools were nurseries to every kind of sub-tropical Pacific fish and coral.

Sadly, on June 5-6-7th 2018, every scene in the video was covered by lava. The Kapoho Tide pools, and the surrounding houses, were entirely buried. My heart goes-out to the home owners, all safely evacuated. I still can’t believe it’s gone...

The drone scenes were taken in Dec. of 2017, the underwater scenes from July/ Aug. 2017

Beautiful scenes Hilo! It is sad to see such wonder be eaten up by Mother Nature, but she always has a plan. From death comes life! Glad to hear everyone got out safe.
Would love to see how the Marine life acted before this started happening since they have that extra sense. I envy you having such beautiful area and swimming pool
Take care of yourself.
P.S. One of my bucket list places to go and dive!

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
Thanks.... I’m still trying to wrap my head around it... Lava in Hawaii isn’t thought of as a destructive act, locals think it’s Madame Pele reminding us how the island is made — she’s not finished. I’m blessed to have been swimming/diving there for over 20 yrs. An hour from Hilo, I went 1-2 a week b/c it’s never crowded, and so pretty. Yea, it’s lava zone one. You think about it every time you swam through a patch of very warm water...

Lava hasn’t stopped flowing there — non-stop for a week, pushing the shoreline way out into deep water. Like the 1960 Kapoho flow, burying the town itself, (never rebuilt), this flow is the biggest since then. We all knew it was coming...

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials