Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Emlid RS2 and RS+ Updates, Very Good

jmason702

Reaction score

We’re coming back with frequent updates! So it’s time to reflect a little on our journey for the past two months and share the updates we have had so far.

You already know about the most anticipated one - Emlid Studio. That’s why we’re going to skip it today. You can check out my previous email about all of the included features.

Let’s talk about our other products.
Reach Firmware 29 Beta 1 and Beta 2
We've started a new release cycle with the beta Reach Firmware. I’ll list only the main features from both releases below:
  • Improved battery charge estimation on Reach RS2. To apply the new algorithm, you need to fully charge and discharge the unit; it helps to recalibrate the calculations.
  • Supported encrypted protocols over TLS/SSL for some NTRIP casters.
  • Fixed some cases when the LoRa frequency settings cannot be applied due to regulatory restrictions.
  • Point markers into the RINEX log when collecting data with ReachView 3 - if you have RINEX logging enabled, collection start/stop events will be saved into the RINEX log. For now, Emlid Studio doesn’t work with those types of events.
  • Improved stability when working over the external LoRa module on Reach M2.
  • Added the 14Hz rate selector for the NMEA position output on single-band receivers.
  • Fixed getting NTRIP mount points for some casters.
As usual, you can check all of the features and improvements in the thread on the community forum.
Please note that this is a beta release - it's meant to be early access to new features only. So it's better to avoid using it for important fieldwork until it’s fully tested out.
ReachView 3 7.0, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3
This is a new huge release for us as we finally introduce the Emlid Account Sync here! It means that projects, NTRIP profiles, and Custom CS can be now saved to your account and shared between multiple devices. You can do the collaborative work on-site, as well.
What else is there:
  • Point picker for the base coordinate. That’s right! Now you can set a base if you have the survey mark's projected coordinates. Just choose it from the project and use it as a base’s coordinate.
  • Shapefile export with global coordinates.
  • Native Bluetooth settings screen.
  • New vertical datums for Columbia (Colombia GeoCol2004 height) and Azores Islands (Portugal GEODAZ2014 height).
  • Fixed the 'Couldn't load current settings' error.
  • Fixed minor issues with editing an NTRIP profile from the Profile tab.
Check out all of the updates in our changelogs for Android and iOS respectfully.
However, the updates above are not the only exciting thing about ReachView 3.
Open ReachView 3 BLE Beta testing
We’ve all been waiting for this moment, and now it’s here! We introduce a new way to work with Reach – a Bluetooth Low Energy connection. This is an alternative connection type built right into ReachView 3.
There is no long and difficult connection process: just turn on Bluetooth on your phone, enable BLE on ReachView 3 side, and voila, the devices are visible in the ReachView 3 without any hotspot connection. Great, right?
There are a few things to take into consideration, of course. I’ll list them below:
  • BLE is available on Reach RS2 and Reach RS+. You’ll need to upgrade your Reach RS2 or Reach RS+ to the latest beta firmware. 29 Beta 1, 29 Beta 2, and any future betas will work fine.
  • Go to Google Play or App Store and make sure you have the latest version of ReachView 3 installed. It’s good to have automatic app updates enabled, as we’re shipping new functionality regularly.
  • To enable BLE on ReachView 3 side, tap on the profile icon in the bottom right corner really fast about 10 times (until the menu appears).
  • After you activate the BLE switch, reopen ReachView 3 and give the app Bluetooth permissions (it will ask for location permissions on Android).
That’s all what it takes to check out the BLE connection. Please read the post on our community forum for more details on how to test it out.
It’s almost unreal to share with you something that we’ve been working on for so long behind the scenes. We’re excited to hear your feedback! Feel free to drop me a line here or get in touch in the thread on the forum :)
ReplyForward

Best way to connect an RS2+ to an AT&T iPad with Verizon Hotspot?

My RS2+ has an AT&T SIM Card. My iPad and iPhone are both AT&T mobile devices. I carry a Verizon hotspot with me when needed. Based on a recent site visit, I have a 500 acre project coming up that requires both AT&T and Verizon. Some areas have AT&T service and others have Verizon service and no AT&T service. I am struggling how to connect all of the devices up so I can have internet services on both my RS2+ and my iPad. There may be an obvious workflow but I can work one out. Thoughts/Suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike Allison
832-242-4406

Last edited:
Best way to connect an RS2+ to an AT&T iPad with Verizon Hotspot?

My RS2+ has an AT&T SIM Card. My iPad and iPhone are both AT&T mobile devices. I carry a Verizon hotspot with me when needed. Based on a recent site visit, I have a 500 acre project coming up that requires both AT&T and Verizon. Some areas have AT&T service and others have Verizon service and no AT&T service. I am struggling how to connect all of the devices up so I can have internet services on both my RS2+ and my iPad. There may be an obvious workflow but I can work one out. Thoughts/Suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike Allison
832-242-4406
If you are in the Verizon area, connect the Evo, the ipad and the RS2+ to the Verizon hot spot. If you are in the AT&T area, take your pick.

Reactions: jmason702
I don’t think it is that simple. Recall both the RS2+ and iPad have AT&T SIM Cards installed. Once I establish a wifi hotspot connection from my iPad to the Verizon hotspot, I cannot setup a wifi connection from my iPad to the RS2+. In order to use the Emlid Flow App, I am looking at using a Bluetooth (BT) connection from my iPad to the RS2+ via the Emlid Flow App. Since I set the Base Mode to Manual, I use Local NTRIP to connect the RS2+ directly to Smart Controller.

take out the SIM card
I am not sure how that helps? I do turn off Mobile Data toggle so the RS2+ doesn’t try and use the AT&T SIM card to connect. My goal is to establish an iPad connection to the internet via Verizon hotspot. A connection from the iPad to the RS2+ and a connection from the RS2+ to the Smart Controller.

This stuff can be confusing. Am I over thinking this?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller