Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

E2P loosing focus randomly

alex_markov

Reaction score
I have my E2P for 3 weeks now more than 40 flights a lot of fun, installed 2.5.11 FW, and bird transformed into a great flier BUT in around 10% of flights (4 times up to now) camera loses focus in random moment during the flight (see below) and if I see it on a small screen and push my finger on screen it peaks focus instantly and continue filming great, but once I did not see it and lost the footage - is there someone else having the same problem or I had a "short stick" ;)

Have you seen miscoloration, especially when shooting at the sun or a bright light source? I've had cases where it flashed an add color for like 1-2 frames then corrected. They way its the auto shooting adjusting the camera settings doing it. I've recommended back to them that they change the code so that once it adjust the aperature or anything else for that matter to not adjust again for multiple seconds so we don't end up with a messy pic.

Reactions: alex_markov
I've never noticed any color differences, but I will pay closer attention next time I film directly into the Sun. You can overcome the focus and auto exposure by pressing the screen to focus and by continuing to tap and hold, it will focus lock and exposure lock all at the same time and you will see a little lock symbol. Simply press again after a few seconds and it goes back to normal auto focus.

Last edited:
I have the same problem. I really like my Evo 2 Pro and I hope they solve this problem. No AF in low light and loses focus in daylight, sometimes in the middle of the flight in daylight and normal contrast background. Never refocus in flight by itself. Hunting and lose focus again when i tap the screen. Focus back just before i land. This does not happen on every flight but too often and is sometimes not discovered until afterwards. It happens in the log profile any thought about this? I purchase the drone 3 weeks ago and the problem began at the first flight. The tilted horizon was resolved with the latest FM beta update. Only in the first flight color flicker occurred for a few seconds, also just before landing. I have contacted the support and got a quick response. I received a file on mail and send the camera log files in return. So now i hope the Quality Engineering team solve the problem. So fly safe, do not lose focus and hope for the Q-engineers...

I have my E2P for 3 weeks now more than 40 flights a lot of fun, installed 2.5.11 FW, and bird transformed into a great flier BUT in around 10% of flights (4 times up to now) camera loses focus in random moment during the flight (see below) and if I see it on a small screen and push my finger on screen it peaks focus instantly and continue filming great, but once I did not see it and lost the footage - is there someone else having the same problem or I had a "short stick" ;)
Yesterday I was flying a waypoint mission (E2P), following the riverbed in a canyon. The last waypoint was just out of LOS. The camera lost focus, and an alert said the video link was lost. I flew the mission again from a slightly different location...perfect. I did have it happen once before right after I got the drone several weeks ago. The drone was directly in front of me, 200 ft up, and about 250 ft out. kinda freaked me out. I ran the mission again from the same location,,,no problem.

from

• Wow
Reactions: MNT DRONE SOLUTIONS
2 days ago I flashed official 2.5.11 and today went testing at least 6-7 focus problems in 2 flights almost all footage ruined :( I have tried MF but it dos Not work at all despite my correction focus stay the same - Now I am reflashing 2.5.11 hope for good - tomorrow wick seek Autel support :(

2 days ago I flashed official 2.5.11 and today went testing at least 6-7 focus problems in 2 flights almost all footage ruined :( I have tried MF but it dos Not work at all despite my correction focus stay the same - Now I am reflashing 2.5.11 hope for good - tomorrow wick seek Autel support :(
Good luck. Autel have gone silent on me.

What settings did you use for your flight?
10 bit, log, h265?
30 or 60fps?
What was the speed and size of the SD card.
Have you checked the data stats from the recorded footage with something like the Mediainfo app?
Are you using an ND filter for your flights, and shooting wide open, f2.8?

The horizontal flashing in your shot could be the props interfering with the footage. There is a term for that - 'Prop shadow' or something like that - but I only read it once before, and the name for it escapes me. Not sure if that applies here or not. But whatever it's called it tends to happen more in misty or dewy conditions. It's where the sun hits the props and reflects into, or, onto the lens.

The focus hunting could be partially the clouds playing havoc with the autofocus system if being shot wide open. As someone else mentioned focus lock would, or should, help there. If you have a strong ND filter on this would also affect the autofocusing, especially if it is a non-standard one. If not, then there is a problem with your bird.
You also seem to fly quite fast, are you in ludicrous mode?

Flying fast will also have an issue with focus blurring and hunting, I would assume as the system needs to lock on to something, and if you are flying around pretty fast and turn very quickly, the AF system is working harder to lock onto what it thinks you want it to focus on. Are you shooting in one of the intelligent modes or standard?

In the 'Topolnica dam no water' video, nearer the end, you have a similar issue in the Vitosha video where a pinpoint light is reflecting into your lens. It looks like a white spot or light. Weirdly this is when the sun is behind you, or, at least, to the side/behind you. This happened to me ages ago with some light leaking from a poorly fitting and badly made filter. It has also happened when the coating on the lens was thin or a UV filter was reflecting onto the lens when the f stop was smaller, say f5 and above and also shooting into or tot he side of the sun without a lens hood with a wide angle lens.

Not sure if you were using a filter or not but a little more info about your technique and settings would surely help diagnose the issues you are having.

Last edited:
Good luck. Autel have gone silent on me.

What settings did you use for your flight?
10 bit, log, h265?
30 or 60fps?
What was the speed and size of the SD card.
Have you checked the data stats from the recorded footage with something like the Mediainfo app?
Are you using an ND filter for your flights, and shooting wide open, f2.8?

The horizontal flashing in your shot could be the props interfering with the footage. There is a term for that - 'Prop shadow' or something like that - but I only read it once before, and the name for it escapes me. Not sure if that applies here or not. But whatever it's called it tends to happen more in misty or dewy conditions. It's where the sun hits the props and reflects into, or, onto the lens.

The focus hunting could be partially the clouds playing havoc with the autofocus system if being shot wide open. As someone else mentioned focus lock would, or should, help there. If you have a strong ND filter on this would also affect the autofocusing, especially if it is a non-standard one. If not, then there is a problem with your bird.
You also seem to fly quite fast, are you in ludicrous mode?

Flying fast will also have an issue with focus blurring and hunting, I would assume as the system needs to lock on to something, and if you are flying around pretty fast and turn very quickly, the AF system is working harder to lock onto what it thinks you want it to focus on. Are you shooting in one of the intelligent modes or standard?

In the 'Topolnica dam no water' video, nearer the end, you have a similar issue in the Vitosha video where a pinpoint light is reflecting into your lens. It looks like a white spot or light. Weirdly this is when the sun is behind you, or, at least, to the side/behind you. This happened to me ages ago with some light leaking from a poorly fitting and badly made filter. It has also happened when the coating on the lens was thin or a UV filter was reflecting onto the lens when the f stop was smaller, say f5 and above and also shooting into or tot he side of the sun without a lens hood with a wide angle lens.

Not sure if you were using a filter or not but a little more info about your technique and settings would surely help diagnose the issues you are having.

No i do not use filter, i shoot log 10 bit h. 265 but it sholud not affect focus. Before when focus fails once at 10 flights i was shooting at auto exposure which means 2.8 now i was at apperture priority at 5.6.
I am flying a lot near the clouds and had no isue up to now. The problem is i tried to go mf instead but it das not focused at all :(
Now i reflashed 2.5.11 (thow there no camera fw in it according to final table) moved to auro exposure and will try today, but this is not acceptable at all - great flying machine with unreliable camera :(

Reactions: JTZ
I have reflashed 2.5.11 calibrated everything and change the aperture from 5.6 to Auto (mean 2.8 ;) ) and went on a test - 4 batteries around 40 km flights in clouds - No focus loss!!! Cross Your fingers it's back to normal 1 of 10 flights ;) :)
Will report after further investigation, but for now aperture and possibly bad FW flash (but with no indications whatsoever) are the main suspects along with software bug for sure ;)

I have reflashed 2.5.11 calibrated everything and change the aperture from 5.6 to Auto (mean 2.8 ;) ) and went on a test - 4 batteries around 40 km flights in clouds - No focus loss!!! Cross Your fingers it's back to normal 1 of 10 flights ;) :)
Will report after further investigation, but for now aperture and possibly bad FW flash (but with no indications whatsoever) are the main suspects along with software bug for sure ;)
God News! The rain wont stop falling here and the clouds are too high. Waiting for better weather and Autels Q-engineer.

I kinda solve the problem thou a little more manual labor - I tried as someone on Facebook suggested - filmed in manual focus - and no problems with the focus for 3 test flights - the problem is every flight it changes to AF and I need to manually change to MF and focus way on the left towards flower (supposed to be close it focus on infinity ???) and the start filming :(

Risolvo un po 'il problema con un po' più di lavoro manuale - ho provato come qualcuno su Facebook ha suggerito - filmato con messa a fuoco manuale - e nessun problema con la messa a fuoco per 3 voli di prova - il problema è che ogni volo cambia in AF e devo farlo manualmente passare a MF e concentrarsi a sinistra verso il fiore (dovrebbe essere vicino, concentrarsi sull'infinito ???) e avviare le riprese :(
Ho anche problemi con il Focus da maggio. Autel ha detto che avrebbe esaminato il problema. Ho aggiornato il firmware Diverse volte senza fortuna .... credo che sia un problema hardware ....
Risolvo un po 'il problema con un po' più di lavoro manuale - ho provato come qualcuno su Facebook ha suggerito - filmato con messa a fuoco manuale - e nessun problema con la messa a fuoco per 3 voli di prova - il problema è che ogni volo cambia in AF e devo farlo manualmente passare a MF e concentrarsi a sinistra verso il fiore (dovrebbe essere vicino, concentrarsi sull'infinito ???) e avviare le riprese :(
ho lo stesso identico problema con fw 2.5.12

I was following along to learn. Then we had a Time Warp Continuim and changed language.

Good luck with your issues.

Reactions: JTZ
Anybody ever get this resolved as I had one that was doing this, crashed it & had it replaced & this one is doing it too! REally aggravating!

I asked Autel support - took them a week and response was to do an IMU calibration :) (I was done it many times and have nothing to do with focus ;) ) so, they do not admit the problem and have no solution :(

• Sad
Reactions: MNT DRONE SOLUTIONS

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58