Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Dynamic Track - Discussion

• Thread starter Deleted member 2926
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2926

Hey there everyone! I wanted to get everyone's take on this: How often do you use it, What are your complaints about it, tips and tricks.

Here's my complaint about dynamic track, from experience. If the object goes faster than about 9-10 mph, the Evo loses the object (very frustrating). However, if you track in ludicrous mode you can track up to about 25 mph. I tried this on a riverbed trail, taking turns between my buddy and I and his Mavic 2. The Mavic 2 was able to track MUCH better at speeds upwards of 35 mph, no problem, with all avoidance sensors turned on. I sadly, couldn't keep up with the Evo and had to resort to going into ludicrous mode and even then, it was hit or miss.

Background - I've owned a couple DJI drones and have used their active track, very successfully. I understand the Evo is different but it just seems to be lacking in that area. Whats everyone's take/experience on it? Watching and reading about the Skydio 2 has made my eye wander. <- the reason for this post!

To be honest with you... Never used the tracking feature in my Evo.

Only time I used it with my evo was following a tractor bailing hay. Worked beautifully. ?‍♂️

Height is also a factor. If the Evo is low and you go to fast, it will lose you quite quickly. If you have your Evo high enough, it will keep track of objects that are going faster than 10mph.

This conversation prodded me into checking out one of the things I had not really put to the test yet. And that was challenging dynamic tracking. All I had done to date was walking around soccer fields or climbing hills to test tracking and orbit functions. So I decided to haul the 6 wheeler down to the beach yesterday and perform some serious tests for Dynamic Tracking at my wheeler's maximum speed which is between 35 and 40mph depending on the surface I am navigating.

The results were a mixed blessing of sorts. I was able to foil the tracking when making a slow 90° turn at a close drone distance as I dropped out of the frame before the drone could make adjustments and the drone just went into hover. At least its confirmed it doesn't go on a flyaway looking for the target. Whew!

On the encouraging side of the equation the aircraft did quite well on the speed test and even on following maneuvers as I changed my heading.

• I set the drone at 35 feet up and perhaps 75 feet distance.
• EVO kept up with me up to 25 mph...barely...due to a few puffs of breeze at times. But as I ramped up to 35mph the drone would not push past 22-25mph and I was slowly pulling away. But the camera tracking as I veered and zig zagged on the beach on several runs was dead on target even as my tracking image was getting smaller.
• I was in Standard flight speed with OA turned off but appears I was still restricted to the ≈22mph set speed range. Ran out of time to check in Ludicrous Mode. Next time!
• When I exceeded the speed of the drone and pulled away the cinematic effect was very smooth and a great shot. As I began to reduce my speed the drone started to close the gap between us and I eventually stopped. The drone made a very smooth transition to holding on target and hovering at the initial set distance. There is some cinematic value in those shot moves I can use in the future because they were so smooth and better than I could fly by stick.
• I decided to do a 180° turn around to see how the aircraft responded to the target "doubling back" on itself. At least for this U Turn the drone and camera performed perfectly. As soon as the drone recognized my forward movement had changed to zero and my across the frame movement began, the drone hovered and followed me with a great camera angle and perspective that looked totally professional (and smooth) and then it hit the accelerator and caught up with me and followed me through my 35mph pull-away speed test portion noted above.

My future uses of Dynamic Tracking will mainly be following watercraft, from kayaks to whitewater river rafting, to large and fast power boats on the ocean and rivers as well as tracking ATVs on occasion.

Dynamic Tracking is 99% software. Object recognition & lock and then directing the camera gimbal and drone navigation commands to maintain the object in the frame is where the work is done. So improvements in response, accuracy, and maintaining a lock on the target should be something to look forward to in future updates. I wouldn't write off EVO as a failure for Dynamic Tracking yet...you have to start somewhere. For now I will be able to use the drone with its current capabilities on tracking and if I have to re-shoot a few scenes that's no biggie.
==========
Here's the recap:

Drone stopped and hovered when forward progress of the target was not sensed. Camera followed target.
MAX_0093.MOV_60.505200,-151.281500@0m28.09s.jpg

MAX_0093.MOV_60.505200,-151.281500@0m32.92s.jpg

Tracking recognizes target separation change and begins to fly again.
MAX_0093.MOV_60.505200,-151.281500@0m37.52s.jpg

Picking up speed as I begin my own acceleration.
MAX_0093.MOV_60.505300,-151.281300@0m40.81s.jpg

I was doing 35mph here and the drone continued to identify the target and maintain perfect center framing at this distance and its 25mph velocity.
MAX_0093.MOV_60.508100,-151.281200@1m30.85s.jpg

I slowed to 20mph and the drone maintained its 25mph speed until it began to approach the initial spacing setpoint at which time it slowed to match my speed in pic below.

Thanks to DroneViewer app for the option to "export" a frame shot of my flight video complete with a time/date stamp and my drone speed. And only 100K file size!! Great down and dirty way to send an email to friends with a few lightweight pic files.
MAX_0093.MOV_60.510000,-151.280900@1m53.94s.jpg

Here is a video I made with my experience using the Dynamic Tracking vs Mavic 2 pro. For my purposes (commercial video / photo) it's just really not usable. It swings around wildly, loses the object easily
Oh, EVO II = Green Car.. Mavic 2 pro = Silver car

Last edited:
The EVO II is just lacking. There’s no denying it. I have no skin in the game and I have flown and owned many drones. Active track on the EVO II blows! I was really excited to get the EVO II and my experiences with it have been disappointing to say the least. Luckily, I didn’t get rid of my M2P. Such a better experience. I don’t think I’ll ever buy Autel anything again.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hakles