Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Drone type video without the drone

Nightbat2

Reaction score
Here in Oz, it’s illegal to fly a UAV within 30 metres of anyone not directly involved in your production (such as your observer). It’s also forbidden to fly over cars or what CASA defines as ‘populous areas’—which means residential streets. Yet there are those who don’t seem to care. Eventually, because of these people, we are going to see it becoming harder to fly, particularly as the media likes to pounce on any rogue drone story like Dracula on a smooth throat. There is, however, a need to get close-ups of people, houses etc if you want to get the business, particularly in real estate. I want to remain legal. I’ve thought about using the drone, without rotors attached as a handheld gimbal to get such shots. It’s fiddly and you can’t get height that way. Attaching a small camera to a gimbal has similar limitations.

So, I’ve bought a super long (2.7m) carbon fibre ‘selfie stick’ and have tried it out with my DJI Osmo Action camera, whose image stabilisation is pretty good. Using the DJI app or voice commands work up to a point. What’s really needed, though is some kind of remote controller—cable or Bluetooth—that improves the process. DJI apparently has no interest in helping out, though how it expects surfers and trail bike riders to buy an action camera without proper RC is anyone’s guess.

Any suggestions other than buying another camera? I have my eyes on the insta360 consumer models, but by the time you edit the 5.7k output into 16:9 clips, the experts say the output (1080) isn’t all that great. So I’ll hold off and see how that market changes over the next few months.

Interesting you cannot fly over vehicles. Here in Canada flying over people is pretty much the same as your rules but Transport Canada does not consider people in vehicles the same as people in the open. What they require is you do not cross a street or highway when a motorcycle is coming as that person is considered in the open (no cover). So basically you would need to look both ways before crossing the road.....something your mom should have taught you anyways :)

Reactions: Antoine.scuba
I use a Sony FDR-X3000 with wireless live view remote on a similar selfy length stick. Sony FDR-X3000 Action Camera with Live-View Remote camera can do 4K and 1080 with three different field of view settings. The remote gives full control of camera functions and gives an image that is good enough for framing the shot.

Interesting you cannot fly over vehicles. Here in Canada flying over people is pretty much the same as your rules but Transport Canada does not consider people in vehicles the same as people in the open. What they require is you do not cross a street or highway when a motorcycle is coming as that person is considered in the open (no cover). So basically you would need to look both ways before crossing the road.....something your mom should have taught you anyways :)
The argument used here seems to be that a drone dropping onto a car could cause damage either directly or indirectly (frightening the driver and causing him/her to lose control). Here, you’re more likely to be dinged by a kangaroo or wombat running onto a road, but we’re all supposed to be ready for that :) Some rules can be ‘waivered’, depending on your certification or that of the company you are working for, and how many rotors your drone has—a quad cannot fly on three, whereas a bird with six can fly with five, etc. For example, I have a remote pilot licence (RePL), but even with that I cannot fly for gain or hire unless I have also obtained or work for someone who has an Operator’s Certificate—basically a licence to do business and including all sorts of documentation including business plan, maintenance plan and more. Or I can opt to fly under the Excluded Category as long as I have told CASA in writing of my intentions at least five business days before undertaking any job (this is an over simplified summary, but it makes the point). Much of that will change, of course, which is why we over here are interested in what the FAA is up to. Some of what it regulates is bound to be mirrored here, I reckon. In the meantime, I’m still looking for that selfie stick-cum-action cam solution...

I use a Sony FDR-X3000 with wireless live view remote on a similar selfy length stick. Sony FDR-X3000 Action Camera with Live-View Remote camera can do 4K and 1080 with three different field of view settings. The remote gives full control of camera functions and gives an image that is good enough for framing the shot.
Will have a look at that, though I‘m rather hoping someone will come out with 8k that can be exported as 4k after editing. Koo-cam (?) has just released something that may work but haven’t been many reviews yet.

I used that camera underwater in Hawaii. I can’t say enough good things about it. Very sharp lens, accurate exposure, good stereo mics (except underwater!). I didn’t get the wrist remote, wasn’t worth the extra $$$. The camera itself is excellent, the optical image stabilization works, the underwater case easy to use, good to about 200’!

I used that camera underwater in Hawaii. I can’t say enough good things about it. Very sharp lens, accurate exposure, good stereo mics (except underwater!). I didn’t get the wrist remote, wasn’t worth the extra $$$. The camera itself is excellent, the optical image stabilization works, the underwater case easy to use, good to about 200’!
I’d need the remote for reasons outlined earlier.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
I like to film dolphins and sharks but trying to keep the 30 metre zone on my beach is hard. I pace 15 metres each side of me and place 6 small cones around me. I then fly the EVO straight out to the sea to 50 -70 metres away from any crowds and film flying sideways.

BUT! There is always a nosey one who walks into your marked zone to ask where your drone is. I like playing the smart *** at this time. "what drone? I don't have one" I,m playing Pacman! :rolleyes:

I like to film dolphins and sharks but trying to keep the 30 metre zone on my beach is hard. I pace 15 metres each side of me and place 6 small cones around me. I then fly the EVO straight out to the sea to 50 -70 metres away from any crowds and film flying sideways.

BUT! There is always a nosey one who walks into your marked zone to ask where your drone is. I like playing the smart *** at this time. "what drone? I don't have one" I,m playing Pacman! :rolleyes:
But how far away from the dolphins?

Try to be more courteous and friendly with curious people. If they have questions, let them know that you will answer when you are done flying. That way we as drone pilots will not get too much negativity from people outside the hobby. We already have enough of bs from the FAA, we don't need extra more.

Hi Macoman, If you were a bomb disposal expert surrounded with cones, in full concentration while trying to defuse one, and someone walks up to you asking what your doing, how polite would you be? o_O

Flying a drone requires the same concentration, or you could lose it all. That's why they lock the door to the cockpit on a plane. :)

Tell him that the missile can leave at any time, there is a false contact and the device returns.
He will no longer hang around ......................Sortir.gif

Reactions: Catweazle
Above and about 70-80 metres high. Whales require minimum of 300 metres distance from them. Don,t how the whale shot on the Autel Explorer app promo was legit..
Don’t know if applies to whales, but under CASA UAV rules you cannot fly over people or ‘populous areas’ at any height.

Above and about 70-80 metres high. Whales require minimum of 300 metres distance from them. Don,t how the whale shot on the Autel Explorer app promo was legit..
It wasn’t legit — in fact, that’s not the only shot Autel used for marketing that’s at minimum inappropriate (in terms of distance from wildlife), if not illegal in most parts of the planet...

Don’t know if applies to whales, but under CASA UAV rules you cannot fly over people or ‘populous areas’ at any height.
South Australia rules that no craft shall approach a whale within 300 metres. Whales arrive between June-July. Victor Harbor is a great place for spotting, especially Petrel Cove. They have a Whale Museum and Info centre. They let the tourists know if a whale is in the area.

Problem with dolphins is that they don't stay 300m away for humans. They pop up on the same wave as you when wave boarding :D

Reactions: Nightbat2
South Australia rules that no craft shall approach a whale within 300 metres. Whales arrive between June-July. Victor Harbor is a great place for spotting, especially Petrel Cove. They have a Whale Museum and Info centre. They let the tourists know if a whale is in the area.

Problem with dolphins is that they don't stay 300m away for humans. They pop up on the same wave as you when wave boarding :D
How do you know when you are 300m from the whales?

Reactions: Nightbat2

And when you‘re snorkelling. Baird Bay (SA) is a great spot for this. Seals, too.

How do you know when you are 300m from the whales?
My (late) dad was on a small whale watching boat off Port Stephens some years ago when a whale surfaced within a couple of metres and stared at him before quietly slipping back under water. I think it was the highlight of dad’s holiday experiences because he talked about it for the rest of his life.

Reactions: Ansia
My (late) dad was on a small whale watching boat off Port Stephens some years ago when a whale surfaced within a couple of metres and stared at him before quietly slipping back under water. I think it was the highlight of dad’s holiday experiences because he talked about it for the rest of his life.
@ ansia I suppose when the whale police nick you for being too close, that's when you know. I think they carry a 300 metre measuring tape. You can recognise the police. There is always two of them. One of them has to hold the end of the measuring tape. ;)

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ghost183