Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Drone mapping anyone?

Very interested in this as well. They say they want to market it to public safety agencies. This feature is a must have for that. Crime scenes, traffic accidents, fires, etc. All of these can be 3D or otherwise, for enhanced reporting and reconstruction.

I've been told no mapping solution exists or ever will for the Evo.
Very disappointed.

I've been told the exact opposite, by an Autel employee about 10 days ago.

Then that makes me very happy!

Did they say which software will support us?

Considering the 3D mapping was in the Autel EVO promotional videos, I'd assume it's coming.

They did not. It's also advertised in their EVO slick sheet. They said that there would be an Autel solution, with an SDK released for other developers.

Attachments

• 20180822_103400.jpg
    20180822_103400.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 46
I know about the claims, but over in another forum they were saying Autel reneged.

I'm glad to hear this because I thought I'd have to buy another drone to do mapping.

It was at a trade show that I saw the EVO, and spoke at length with the rep. Hopefully they come through, soon.

On the Autel Facebook page one of the CS people said Autel never planned mapping but it will be done with third party apps. So you have to wiat for the SDK to be released and then you have to have someone willing to develop the App and at what cost to the EVO consumers. Is Autel inferior to DJI? In some things, absolutely. Autel has failed to develop SDK apps that could increase the versatility of their systems, especially where mapping is concerned. DJI sort of threw open their system for others to develop various apps, and have been extremely active in promoting their product and associated apps to higher level business groups. You might be waiting a long time for something to come out as all the big developers have already said they have no interest in Autel as they are just to small.

So some say first-party, some say third-party.
Don't know what to believe.

A bit of mixed responses here....ideally I’d like a software solution that instructs drone fliers to setup a flight course with preset photo intervals and have some software integrate mapping but I guess it’s too complex for a non-drone specific non-app solution....would be a shame to only have DJI as the drone of choice for 3D mapping.

Let’s all write to autel requesting this- crowd demand does work!

I made this with my EVO. Just build a mission in Autel Explorer then process the images with Microsoft Image Composer (ICE) as far as 3D if you call Precision Hawk and ask them to include the EVO camera in their data base, then you should be able to do 3D. I had them do this with the Typhon last year.
Here is the map.

Altitude 120 Ft
Speed 11 MPH
Number of images 93
One image every 2 Sec
Distance traveled 1870 ft
Number of waypoints 8
Processed with Image Composer Editor
Original file is 27.7 MB

Edit: I have been in contact with Precision Hawk and they are looking into adding the EVO camera to their database. I have sent them a photo from the EVO for their engineers to look at. If they do this, 3D mapping via Precision Mapper will be possible.

View attachment Hauga Map Small EVO.jpg

Last edited:
I made this with my EVO. Just build a mission in Autel Explorer then process the images with Microsoft Image Composer (ICE) as far as 3D if you call Precision Hawk and ask them to include the EVO camera in their data base, then you should be able to do 3D. I had them do this with the Typhon last year.
Here is the map.

Altitude 120 Ft
Speed 11 MPH
Number of images 93
One image every 2 Sec
Distance traveled 1870 ft
Number of waypoints 8
Processed with Image Composer Editor
Original file is 27.7 MB

Edit: I have been in contact with Precision Hawk and they are looking into adding the EVO camera to their database. I have sent them a photo from the EVO for their engineers to look at. If they do this, 3D mapping via Precision Mapper will be possible.

View attachment 2633

I thought you couldn't specify camera angles (tilt) or drone orientation in Autel Explorer. Or did you just set up to take a pic every 2 seconds, set up a mission and let it fly without touching the sticks at all during the mission (making the orientation and pitch) constant?

This is one of two things I don't like about the mission builder, you can't specify to take a picture at this spot at this angle, like you can with other drones. Also there is no way to set it to fly from point A to point B, pausing at B before continuing to C, it just does A to B to C.

I thought you couldn't specify camera angles (tilt) or drone orientation in Autel Explorer. Or did you just set up to take a pic every 2 seconds, set up a mission and let it fly without touching the sticks at all during the mission (making the orientation and pitch) constant?

This is one of two things I don't like about the mission builder, you can't specify to take a picture at this spot at this angle, like you can with other drones. Also there is no way to set it to fly from point A to point B, pausing at B before continuing to C, it just does A to B to C.
That's what I did. I built a mission and pointed the camera 90 degree and let it fly while taking a picture every 2 second.

That's what I did. I built a mission and pointed the camera 90 degree and let it fly while taking a picture every 2 second.
Thanks for the response. One additional question and I don't know if this is possible, can you share a screen shot of your mission? I would love to see how it is setup and see if I can copy that.

I was successful in making one of my property, and I'm pleased with the results. Hoping a proper app is released with some functionality.

Last month I contacted Precision Mapper and asked them to include the EVO camera in their data base. This is their reply.

Hi Carlos,

Sorry for the delay. According to our relevant department, your camera is scheduled to be included on the release that will be coming out on the 21st of September. PLease let us know if you have questions.

Thank you,
Marsha
So we will be able to do 3D and all the other services they offer. www.PrecisionMapper.com

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials