Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Drone Crashes + Fire?

Catweazle

Reaction score
It,s not that mine has crashed, but! does anyone know if a drone has ever crashed and caught fire.? I have looked over my EVO and i can't see where any ignition point may be.
ATM in Aus, we are having fire bans announced 2-3 times a week, and rightly so!. I was wondering if I should just keep the EVO in it's case on those days.

Reactions: Nightbat2
If crashed and the battery hits hard enough it can explode and catch fire. All a lipo has to do is get punctured and get exposed to air and it will start on fire. There have been cases of drones being blamed for starting forest fires in the past.

It,s not that mine has crashed, but! does anyone know if a drone has ever crashed and caught fire.? I have looked over my EVO and i can't see where any ignition point may be.
ATM in Aus, we are having fire bans announced 2-3 times a week, and rightly so!. I was wondering if I should just keep the EVO in it's case on those days.
Any number of things are more likely to start bushfires—car exhausts, cigarette butts, chainsaws, angle grinders. All the law says here is that you must not fly in an area where there is a fire because you could interfere with fire fighting aircraft.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
Sobering, that could happen to anyone....

Thanks guys. Knowing that, all it takes is a bit of common sense!. I think I have some of that stored somewhere.

On reading the blurb on the Oregon fire, I see that the battery appeared to be one that is just held on by a strap and would possibly be exposed to damage. Methinks the EVO1 battery shell would have some strength to potentially avoid hard knocks.

The EVO 2 may even be more safer as it is encased in a compartment, although there could be occasions where the battery may swell either inside the EVO or outside. Yours thoughts please. ? ?

PS My risk assessment of batteries never took into account fire on crashing. My current precautions have been amended to ;
> Never drive with a battery loaded in my EVO.
> Store them all in my tin chocolate box with lid on in house and when travelling.
> Charge them on a tin surface using the open box and always switch the charger off if I have to leave home for anything.
> Travel with the tin box on the back seat and in a my cooler, instead of in the rear of the SUV near the petrol tank.
> No flying on fire ban days.

My only other concern is storing them together. One rogue battery could take me out of the sky completely.

I have a ammo case with some holes drilled into the top to let out gases if the batteries should ever catch fire. A sealed case is like a bomb waiting to go off. ?

Reactions: Catweazle
We've had a drone or two come on some wildfires I was on, but I never heard of one starting a fire....yet. Rather be safe than sorry!

Heard this on the news this afternoon, they haven't said exactly what caused the fire, but being as dry as it's been here it could have even been a fried motor. Too bad it happened, hope they had clearance to fly in restricted airspace, curious to see how it shakes out.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller