Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Does not keep altitude, barometer issue?

danielbieri

Reaction score
Just bought a X-Star Premium on e-bay and was super excited about flying it. Unfortunately from the get go it would not keep altitude. I actively need to keep it up with the controller otherwise it goes down. The take off function does not work proper, it takes off about 12 inches than lands 3 seconds later, then 10 seconds later it does another attempt, 12" inch about ground and then lands. I did RC calibration, compass calibration several times at different places, updated software. The controller shows 16-17 satellites, shows altitude (GPS altitude?). The drone keeps its location even in strong winds but not the altitude. Tried as well a different phone. I contacted Autel, they thought it might be a barometer issue and to fix it would be in the $ mid 200 range, further, I am from Canada and need to ship it to the USA. Anyone experienced such an issue? Does anyone know where the barometer is located? Thanks for any help.

The barometer is part of the main board. They will probably replace the whole board and install a new one.

It's really a shame they don't sell these parts. You might have some luck on fleabay finding a used XSP for parts.

Thanks for your response. Wow, that's a bummer.
Did the seller say the drone was working and flying OK? Of course anyone can lie I guess.

When you say you updated the software did you do the XSP firmware update for the controller and drone as well as deleted and reinstalled the Starlink app on your device? Just making sure you covered both bases. If its not a physical problem like a sensor then a glitch in the software might be the issue. At least its responding to your initial take off command. But there is no way you will be happy with it flying as it is.

I realize you see sats and it holds place but did you check to make sure the switch on your remote is set to GPS and not IOC or ATTI?

I realize you see sats and it holds place but did you check to make sure the switch on your remote is set to GPS and not IOC or ATTI?
Actually, all that does is hold position in a X Y axis. The XSP should hold altitude even in ATTI mode.

Actually, all that does is hold position in a X Y axis. The XSP should hold altitude even in ATTI mode.
Yes I understand that. That's the reason for my first sentence lol. I have seen odd things while set to IOC and thought it could be another one of those irregular things. Figured it would not hurt to try before giving up. :)

Reactions: Ansia
Yes I understand that. That's the reason for my first sentence lol. I have seen odd things while set to IOC and thought it could be another one of those irregular things. Figured it would not hurt to try before giving up. :)

Thank you for responding, tried all the settings and I have between 16 and 17 satellites.

It's really a shame they don't sell these parts. You might have some luck on fleabay finding a used XSP for parts.
Thanks for the response, you are right, would be great if they sell parts. Still hope it's not a hardware issue, but thats might just living in denial.

• Sad
Reactions: Tufargon
Did the seller say the drone was working and flying OK? Of course anyone can lie I guess.

When you say you updated the software did you do the XSP firmware update for the controller and drone as well as deleted and reinstalled the Starlink app on your device? Just making sure you covered both bases. If its not a physical problem like a sensor then a glitch in the software might be the issue. At least its responding to your initial take off command. But there is no way you will be happy with it flying as it is.
Thanks for your tips, just came home from work, will check regarding the software, I will redo, I might missed something. I watched the Autel video, they did not mentioning that I need to update the controller separately, I thought it would do it through the drone but I might be wrong, and I will check into that. Did you ever needed to use a synch cable for updating the controller? Would love it if it's only a software. I tried today to fly the automatic orbit, does it flawless but if I would not keep the altitude it would circle into the ground. I let you know if I have any success.

Thanks for your tips, just came home from work, will check regarding the software, I will redo, I might missed something. I watched the Autel video, they did not mentioning that I need to update the controller separately, I thought it would do it through the drone but I might be wrong, and I will check into that. Did you ever needed to use a synch cable for updating the controller? Would love it if it's only a software. I tried today to fly the automatic orbit, does it flawless but if I would not keep the altitude it would circle into the ground. I let you know if I have any success.
The firmware update does the drone and the controller at the same time. Each battery will need updating also so if you have more than one, you just run the firmware update again for each battery while it's in the drone.

Hey danielbieri, give calibrating the RC (remote control) a shot like in this video. Your problem could very well be the RC that needs re-calibration.

Reactions: danielbieri
[/QUOT
Hey danielbieri, give calibrating the RC (remote control) a shot like in this video. Your problem could very well be the RC that needs re-calibration.
Tufargon, RC calibration did not help either, but thanks. Trying to find out if it is really the barometer as suggested by Autel. Not sure how to test it. Tried last night in the house with no satellites to see if the drone detects altitude changes. Not sure if it knows it through the sonar which works up to 10 feet. If I lift it up and down it recognizes the proper height but the funny thing is that if I do not change height and simply push the controller up it displays 3 feet, let the controller go without changing height than it displays it goes down to 0 and displays "landed." Wondered if that's just through the pressure change from the running blades, removed the blades and it does exactly the same thing. Not sure what other drone display in such situations. Will tinker around a bit but might need to eat the bitter pill and send it in or benefit from the exchange offer they gave me. Sending mine in and pay another $600 for a refurb with one battery. Any thoughts on that? Do you have an EVO as well? Worth the upgrade or should I just go for an approx. 250 repair and keep it with the 3 batteries, although I am not too impressed with the battery life compared to my brothers DJI pro.

It sounds like Autel is right about what the problem is if you did the RC calibration.
I'll leave that decision making up to you. I love my XSP but obviously it's out of date now so not sure i'd be buying another if I wanted a drone. Batteries are getting really hard to come by. At least if you did buy from Autel you'd get a warranty. I see a few on ebay cheaper but you wouldn't get the warranty.
I don't have an EVO. If I were to buy another drone RIGHT NOW I'd probably get the Parrot Anafi but that's just me.

• Sad
Reactions: Ansia

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juan.t