Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

DJI Phantom 4 Pro v2.0 or Autel Evo II Pro?

DJI Phantom 4 Pro v2.0 or Autel Evo II Pro?

• Autel Evo II Pro

Votes: 17 77.3%
  • DJI Phantom 4 Pro v2.0

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters

easyheimer

Reaction score
So I’m looking into purchasing my next drone for business. I’d like to get some opinions on which drone I should purchase. I’m looking at the DJI Phantom 4 Pro v2.0 and the Autel Evo II Pro.

Please vote and comment with your opinions. Thank you!

Phantom 4 Pro is proven. Excellent bird with readily available third party apps, spares and accessories. In many respects the Evo II has advantages, though as it has hardly been released yet (just a few orders fulfilled from a Chinese dealer) and it has not yet been proven (despite some excellent reviews by chosen reviewers). Its advantages include 40 min flight time, user interchangeable cameras (8k, 6k/one inch, and two dual), potentially better OA, WAY quicker set up and deployment and no NFZs. And most people who’ve dealt with both DJI and Autel customer service would give Autel the thumbs up. Disadvantage of the Evo is that at this time, there don’t appear to be any 3rd party apps. My two cents worth: take a punt on the Evo Pro.

The Evo 2 doesn't really need a third-party app yet. He has "almost everything" in his Explorer software.
Rectangular, polygonal missions where everything is configurable up to the angle of the camera. Land survey and 3D survey preparation are possible. What to do without third-party software.
Waypoints missions are now worthy of Litchi's. Pea management, viewing angle etc. are possible during the mission, exactly what Litchi does. What is missing is the upstream preparation on the computer and the transfer to the tablet.
I managed to replicate a Litchi mission and put it on Explorer.
Screenshot_1.png
Screenshot_2.png

Reactions: Dan AISCF
We run Phantom 4 pros mostly for business and, after getting the Evo I, are planning to eventually replace our 4's with the Evo II. Although not proven, what I'm really looking forward to is a foldable with a camera that is comparable to our large 4Pro's, interchangeable camera and, even more importantly, Geo-Unlocked. Shoot, if I could just have 1" sensor and geo-unlocked, that'd do it for me. We have a lot of differing airspace in the areas we film, and sometimes with our DJI's, even with proper auth's and whatnot, we have had issues unlocking the drones and missed some filming contracts. Now that we have an Evo I as a backup, that no longer happens. We do stills with the P4P's and video with the Evo. It'll be nice to retire all DJI's when we purchase an Evo II.

I believe the camera of the Evo 2 Pro should fit your needs. The advantage the P4P will have over the Evo is the mechanical shutter, but since you focus on filming and not photography, you will get the job done.

I believe the camera of the Evo 2 Pro should fit your needs. The advantage the P4P will have over the Evo is the mechanical shutter, but since you focus on filming and not photography, you will get the job done.

Exactly what I'm thinking. Even without the mech shutter the P4P has, the 1" on the II, for real estate stills, should still look much better than the Evo I we currently have. As soon as we see where this Covid-19 takes, and if we can spare some $$$, we will probably pull the trigger sooner than later...

The Evo 2 doesn't really need a third-party app yet. He has "almost everything" in his Explorer software.
Rectangular, polygonal missions where everything is configurable up to the angle of the camera. Land survey and 3D survey preparation are possible. What to do without third-party software.
Waypoints missions are now worthy of Litchi's. Pea management, viewing angle etc. are possible during the mission, exactly what Litchi does. What is missing is the upstream preparation on the computer and the transfer to the tablet.
View attachment 6579
View attachment 6580

Thank you very much! I didn't even think that I could look at the Explorer app to see how it supports mapping.
For me this checks off all the right boxes, GSD, overlaps, gimbal pitch, flight speed. I am now almost positive that I will be purchacing an Evo II for myself. I didn't see a double grid, but you could easily just rotate your grid mission.
If they have more add on camera options as time goes on (Mech shutter 1", radiometric FLIR, multi or hyper spec etc.), DJI may never again be in my airfleet.

One last question, does this new explorer app work on the Evo I??? Is Evo I now able to do mapping missions set up in the new Explorer App??

Answer to the last question.
No The evo 1 has neither the POIS, nor the gradual change of height, nor the camera angle adjustment, it stops at each waypoint etc.
It is the simple route from waypoint to waypoint without more.
only the Evo 2 has these additional options.

Last edited:
Ok, I think you’ve convinced me to stick with the Evo II Pro. Even without the mechanical shutter I think the pictures should come out very nice.

View attachment 6579
View attachment 6580
What they look like on a map doesn't matter. How is the footage, how smooth are the curves, how smooth are the transitions in pitch and yaw. Point to point may be fine but how cinematic are the results.

Please post the footage.

Yes, this is an Autel forum, but I could not in good conscience recommend an EVO 2 at this time. It is totally unproven yet, and there will be many bugs to be worked out. I have been a happy EVO 1 owner for one year, but the gimbal tilt still remains a problem for many ( including myself ) occasionally. And the utter destruction caused by the app/ firmware update that occurred months ago has left me questioning Autel’s place on the big stage. My new camera wobble that occurred after the update and the inability to fix it have left me looking for a reliable alternative.

Reactions: parkgt
My Mavic Pro Platinum that I bought 6 months ago only for the novelty of using with the DJI goggles has performed absolutely flawlessly, although the camera ( Mavic 1 series ) is not as good as the EVO 1 camera, the level horizon and lack of camera bounce make it very reliable.

Reactions: parkgt
You think so?
I think you are getting very mixed up, it does have a adjustable aperture (Aperture: F2.8-f/11 ) but that has nothing to do with a mechanical shutter, the shutter you would only find on a DSLR type camera, even for stills on this type of camera i have never heard of it on any drone, as far as I know.. the shutter is the opening and closing of the lens to sensor, not on video cameras.
Cheers

I think you are getting very mixed up, it does have a adjustable aperture (Aperture: F2.8-f/11 ) but that has nothing to do with a mechanical shutter, the shutter you would only find on a DSLR type camera, even for stills on this type of camera i have never heard of it on any drone, as far as I know.. the shutter is the opening and closing of the lens to sensor, not on video cameras.
Cheers
Phanton 4 v2 has one!

Phanton 4 v2 has one!
OK, as far as I know.. haha, my SLR's has it if that helps.. I don't follow DJI much, I can perhaps see some small advantage for super cinematography stills, however with 8 K or even 4 and especially 6K 1inch sensor, just extracting a still from the video footage gives you a giant option still image, I will have a look and see what advantaged they suggest you get and of course disadvantages, there is always something they don' tell you as you probably know, bit like the 8k camera on the EVO 2 which is really a 4K but doubled up the bucket sensor which gives you an"effective" 8K.. thanks, an interesting investigation whilst I'm stuck indoors for three months. Cheers

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58