Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

DJI convert here...

bseasmd

Reaction score
Hi folks....

I’ve been flying a Mavic Pro, but decided to pick up an Evo today. I just wanted to give another company a shot, and Autel seemed to be a decent alternative.

Any other DJI folks here who can share their experience with Autel? Mainly, do you regret it?

I’m having buyers remorse - my first set of photos just don’t look great compared to what I’m used to with the Mavic Pro. I shot them in auto, for what it’s worth.

Cheers!

Reactions: SD_PIlot
I am a DJI user. There are some regrets, like with any purchase that you do out from what you are used to, but the drone is amazing. You are used to DJI’s over saturation of their photos. Autel tends to go more natural. You can always play with them in post processing. It is a known fact that the Evo’s camera is better than the Mavic Pro.

Reactions: Highlander1UK
I have a mavic pro platinum, a spark and an Evo. I use all of them and happy with it. My preferred is the Evo because of how easy it is to fly this drone that don't need a tablet or phone. I always use the built in screen on the controller. I also love the quality of the video, seen to be superior than the mavic pro.

Reactions: Highlander1UK
I have been flying the Phantom 4 Standard for a year when the Autel Evo came out I ordered it from the USA and have had her now for a year and I have been more than pleased with everything about it, the flight the fun, the Camera and the customer service, I fly my P4S but my go-to drone is always the EVO now.

Reactions: SD_PIlot
I crashed my P4P a few months ago so I picked up an Evo just have something to fly , and let me tell you that is going to be my go-to drone from now on even when I get my P4P back. It flies nice the cameras wonderful it's easy to set up. I think DJI has some serious competition with this drone

I am surprised that there is a complaint re the Camera on the Evo ! ONE of the best things about the Evo IS the High Quality movies that i get from it...no comparison to my Mavic Pro...The MP is very good in Movie taking but my Evo is Superior in that regard...since i got my Evo in December i have not flown my MP more than 3 or 4 times...My humble opinion...I love them both but the Evo is my go to...I will be leaving tonight to vacation in the Catskills...charging up 3 Evo batteries AND one MP Battery...STILL a reliable fun old bird

I am surprised that there is a complaint re the Camera on the Evo ! ONE of the best things about the Evo IS the High Quality movies that i get from it...no comparison to my Mavic Pro...The MP is very good in Movie taking but my Evo is Superior in that regard...since i got my Evo in December i have not flown my MP more than 3 or 4 times...My humble opinion...I love them both but the Evo is my go to...I will be leaving tonight to vacation in the Catskills...charging up 3 Evo batteries AND one MP Battery...STILL a reliable fun old bird
Amen to that

I have a mavic pro platinum, a spark and an Evo. I use all of them and happy with it. My preferred is the Evo because of how easy it is to fly this drone that don't need a tablet or phone. I always use the built in screen on the controller. I also love the quality of the video, seen to be superior than the mavic pro.
EXACTLY...self contained...you can switch screens in a flash on the controller to see the live video feed OR the main screen...easily adjustable angles of the Camera at the touch of a button on the controller...Superior movie quality...all settings easily accessible from the controller...i can be up and running in less that 1 minute...i wonder if Autel has something new cooking ? Would be tough to beat the Evo...another Quality...the PRICE !$$$...a steal...1k gets you all you need WITH accessories...i got mine with a set of very fine quality well padded bags...i can find no down side on this one....charging 3 batteries now for flying in the Catskill mountains...Huge open spaces revealing mountain sides....my only enemy...The TRAFFIC on the way up ! Cheers to ALL !

Hi folks....

I’ve been flying a Mavic Pro, but decided to pick up an Evo today. I just wanted to give another company a shot, and Autel seemed to be a decent alternative.

Any other DJI folks here who can share their experience with Autel? Mainly, do you regret it?

I’m having buyers remorse - my first set of photos just don’t look great compared to what I’m used to with the Mavic Pro. I shot them in auto, for what it’s worth.

Cheers!
Today, for a few dollars more, you can pick up the Mavic 2 Zoom, which will run circles around the EVO, and certainly your Mavic Pro. True 2x optical zoom, 30° up tilt of the camera for stellar spherical panoramas built into GO 4, true 25 minute flight time at 30mph, and a true 5 mile range without FPV dropping out after1.5 miles. While the EVO camera itself is far superior to the original Mavic Pro, the EVO gimbal, platform, and Explorer app all fall well short of the entire Mavic 2 platform and the GO 4 app on both iOS and Android, and Litchi. I have both aircraft, and wish I had returned the EVO when I still could have, instead of foolishly keeping it, while being lied to in writing by Autel engineers and managers about important bug fixes that were going to be included in the next update that were not, and are still missing, telling me that I should not have relied upon their representations ! Autel support hours have already been cut by 20% so you'll have to call them before 4pm, while DJI stays open until 5pm. The fragile antennas on the EVO will crack and break, requiring a 3 week warranty turnaround. Most owners have already dealt with this at least once. @Ansia and I both have already had to send our EVO's in for this repair, and neither of us were happy about how it was handled. A year after release, there is still no dedicated iPad app, and the controller falls over backwards with even a phone in the holder, breaking the fragile antennas. Save yourself the aggravation, and return it while you still can, and pick up an Mavic 2 instead! There is a reason DJI has over one million downloads from the Android Play Store, while Autel only has over one thousand. Sadly, no one even makes a windsurfer for the EVO. Not enough owners to justify making one. The happy EVO owners just don't realize what they are missing in the way of massive DJI improvements that DJI owners like us have been spoiled by. An EVO is like going back 2 years within the current DJI platform. DJI continues to innovate. EVO hasn't progressed at all since release. The 900 Mhz band was stripped out before shipment and no 1” sensor was ever delivered. No one will be hacking the EVO. NoLimitDronez.com will unfetter any NFZ limitations on any DJI aircraft for $50, giving you more control over any DJI aircraft than you ever dreamed possible. If you have buyers' remorse now, imagine the regret you will have after you can no longer return it and you need to send it in for 3 weeks because the antennas cracked!

Last edited:
Although I agree with some of the things said in the post above, do not be discouraged by the negativity. The Evo is a solid drone. Many professional pilots try it and love it. Is it the best out there? No, but for the price is a great drone. In my honest opinion, the camera is better than the Mavic 2 Zoom. Just remember, all things have their pros and cons. It all falls down in what you want for yourself and if the Evo is right for you.

I use my Evo for testing things out. Being my cheapest drone, if I crash it testing the possibilities, it will hurt less than crashing a more expensive one. It is also my go to drone for personal flights.

I personally aren't a fan of Autel's CS or their promises, but I enjoy my Evo and hope to fly it years to come.

Sorry for the all over the place post. It has been a hectic morning and my mind is all over the place.

Last edited:
Reactions: G_G
Although I agree with some of the things said in the post above, do not be discouraged by the negativity. The Evo is a solid drone. Many professional pilots try it and love it. Is it the best out there? No, but for the price is a great drone. In my honest opinion, the camera is better than the Mavic 2 Zoom. Just remember, all things have their pros and cons. It all falls down in what you want for yourself and if the Evo is right for you.

I use my Evo for testing things out. Being my cheapest drone, if I crash it testing the possibilities, it will hurt less than crashing a more expensive one. It is also my go to drone for personal flights.

I personally aren't a fan of Autel's CS or their promises, but I enjoy my Evo and hope to fly it years to come.

Sorry for the all over the place post. It has been a hectic morning and my mind is all over the place.
Agreed. For under $1000, for VLOS fliers, EVO offers the best video. It's the platform that falls short for me. Different strokes different folks. My concern is that an EVO is far more likely to crash than a slightly more expensive M2 drone, due to loss of FPV and poor flight time, relative to a more robust Mavic 2 in an emergency out of sight, leading to dealing with Autel CS again. BTW, you are doing a great job as a new Staff member! Congratulations on your promotion! Keep up the good work!

Reactions: Ansia
Agreed. For under $1000, for VLOS fliers, EVO offers the best video. It's the platform that falls short for me. Different strokes different folks. My concern is that an EVO is far more likely to crash than a slightly more expensive M2 drone, due to loss of FPV and poor flight time, relative to a more robust Mavic 2 in an emergency out of sight, leading to dealing with Autel CS again. BTW, you are doing a great job as a new Staff member! Congratulations on your promotion! Keep up the good work!
Thanks

I have a mavic pro which cannot take off. Had to buy another drone to catch up with work. I have found the evo easy to fly similar to mavic. Stills pics which are what I mainly do are soft maybe too soft, am I missing something. Is it possible to focus the drone

I have a mavic pro which cannot take off. Had to buy another drone to catch up with work. I have found the evo easy to fly similar to mavic. Stills pics which are what I mainly do are soft maybe too soft, am I missing something. Is it possible to focus the drone
It is a fixed focus camera, but you can play with the setting to sharpen your photos.

Are you shooting JPG or DNG? DNG will initially be softer, an no sharpening has yet been applied, unlike with the JPG's.

Reactions: Ansia
Owner and piloted several DJI drones and I did the same with decided to give Autel a shot. Glad I did ! After flying the Evo for a few months, its definitely an amazing craft period. I have no regrets whatsoever.

Pros:

Camera 4K/60FPS capability
Orange easy to see Color
Remote Controller's OLED display
Several display features on the App
User-Friendly App display
Not so many updates as I'd experienced with DJI
Non-Geofencing
Zoom feature
Several built-in cam filters
No phone/device needed to fly
Can use 120 gb SD card
Front/rear/bottom sensors

Cons:

Need to go through a couple of steps to have the Evo go into faster speeds
Props get in the frame depending on the angle or speed of action shot
I've gone as far as a little over a mile (no obstacles) connectivity was spotty. (typically fly within VLOS) for close ups shots so not an issue.
No side/top sensors
Rear sensors warn on the device but doesn't stop craft.
Antennas can break if not careful handling them. I treat them very carefully when opening/closing to prevent breaks.

Bottom line, these few cons aren't deal breakers for me. I truly enjoy flying the Evo and would definitely keep in along with my other drones in the hangar.

Last edited:
Ref my post about soft focus stills. OK Altered settings and made sharp at +1. It was not a complecated shoot but image was very good. Am a happy camper. Also had to do small 15 Sec video. The drone flies like a dream using camera mode. Easily as good as my beloved but grounded Mavic pro

EVO hands down on the video AND on other things..but the footage with that camera..The movie taking..FANTASTIC Quality (and i have both companies products) without a doubt Mavics are GREAT products...Autel is right up there and kicks butt on the footage

Today, for a few dollars more, you can pick up the Mavic 2 Zoom, which will run circles around the EVO, and certainly your Mavic Pro. True 2x optical zoom, 30° up tilt of the camera for stellar spherical panoramas built into GO 4, true 25 minute flight time at 30mph, and a true 5 mile range without FPV dropping out after1.5 miles. While the EVO camera itself is far superior to the original Mavic Pro, the EVO gimbal, platform, and Explorer app all fall well short of the entire Mavic 2 platform and the GO 4 app on both iOS and Android, and Litchi. I have both aircraft, and wish I had returned the EVO when I still could have, instead of foolishly keeping it, while being lied to in writing by Autel engineers and managers about important bug fixes that were going to be included in the next update that were not, and are still missing, telling me that I should not have relied upon their representations ! Autel support hours have already been cut by 20% so you'll have to call them before 4pm, while DJI stays open until 5pm. The fragile antennas on the EVO will crack and break, requiring a 3 week warranty turnaround. Most owners have already dealt with this at least once. @Ansia and I both have already had to send our EVO's in for this repair, and neither of us were happy about how it was handled. A year after release, there is still no dedicated iPad app, and the controller falls over backwards with even a phone in the holder, breaking the fragile antennas. Save yourself the aggravation, and return it while you still can, and pick up an Mavic 2 instead! There is a reason DJI has over one million downloads from the Android Play Store, while Autel only has over one thousand. Sadly, no one even makes a windsurfer for the EVO. Not enough owners to justify making one. The happy EVO owners just don't realize what they are missing in the way of massive DJI improvements that DJI owners like us have been spoiled by. An EVO is like going back 2 years within the current DJI platform. DJI continues to innovate. EVO hasn't progressed at all since release. The 900 Mhz band was stripped out before shipment and no 1” sensor was ever delivered. No one will be hacking the EVO. NoLimitDronez.com will unfetter any NFZ limitations on any DJI aircraft for $50, giving you more control over any DJI aircraft than you ever dreamed possible. If you have buyers' remorse now, imagine the regret you will have after you can no longer return it and you need to send it in for 3 weeks because the antennas cracked!

A couple of things.

For a few dollars more...If you shop smart you can find an Evo with the equivalent of the fly more bundle for about a grand. To get a M2 zoom similarly equipped you are looking at about 1600 bucks. That is 60% more. That's the equivalent of saying "Why get a Spark when you can get an Evo for a few dollars more."

You mention DJI's support. I have dealt with both. Granted both were about a year ago and Autel's support was great (they sent me a brand new controller because the rubber grip pads came off the controller) and DJI's service was terrible.

You have to hack DJI craft to be able to fly where most people want to fly. That is kind of crappy.

DJI is the big player in the market and they have nice pieces of kit, but as a company they are garbage. They promised functionality for the Air that never materialized and said that the craft isn't powerful enough to handle it (waypoints). This is despite the fact that third party apps provide that functionality. They all but abandoned the OSMO + platform and it has half baked functionality.

I say this as someone that has A LOT of DJI products. I have three of their cams and three of their drones.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy