Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Davinci Resolve 18 Was Just Released

herein2021

Reaction score
I am a big fan of DR and each version just keeps getting better. Version 18 was just released, it is still a beta but I upgraded anyway and will immediately start testing it out with some of my pending projects. Usually DR is rock solid stable even the betas but I did have some crashing issues in Version 17 when it was first released so if you are not adventurous or have a lot of important projects in your queue you may want to wait. Personally I like testing the betas because the DR developers are more receptive and fix problems that you report to them faster than if it were a final release especially if you own the Studio version.

Most of the big new features I don't really care about (cloud collaboration, collaboration, etc.) but with each release I test to see if Fusion integration has gotten any better. I have learned a lot of editing tricks from Casey Faris, here is his quick review of DR 18.

big fan of dr and casey so i've loaded the 18 beta on one of my machines as well. good info for anyone who needs a little help walking thru the process:

One pet peeve of mine is that after these upgrades you have to reload your titles, transitions, effects, and sometimes your LUTs as well. You would think they would just skip those folders during upgrades.

Reactions: kenautelevo2pro
I have the DaVinci Resolve Studio 18 beta installed. Its working well with a few quirks and crashes. DaVinci 17 is still far more stable and has just about all the tools I need.... no need to upgrade yet for the casual user.

For my EVO 2 Pro LOG, I have been having good luck eliminating the magenta shift by using a splitter combiner node and auto color correcting the red, blue and green channels independantly before making further adjustments. This gives me a fairly neutral image without the odd red and purple tones that appear when color correcting the footage using my usual methods.

On my DJI drones, the Color Space Transform tool is doing a good job of moving DLOG toward a well saturated image without the overdone greens. Inputs are set to DJI Gamut and Gamma, outputs to rec.709.

The Dehaze tool built into DaVinci is extremely powerful and will help almost any video taken on dull overcast days and on overly bright days. The challenge is not to overuse it as the results are too dramatic when initially applied.

Reactions: herein2021
I have the DaVinci Resolve Studio 18 beta installed. Its working well with a few quirks and crashes. DaVinci 17 is still far more stable and has just about all the tools I need.... no need to upgrade yet for the casual user.

For my EVO 2 Pro LOG, I have been having good luck eliminating the magenta shift by using a splitter combiner node and auto color correcting the red, blue and green channels independantly before making further adjustments. This gives me a fairly neutral image without the odd red and purple tones that appear when color correcting the footage using my usual methods.

On my DJI drones, the Color Space Transform tool is doing a good job of moving DLOG toward a well saturated image without the overdone greens. Inputs are set to DJI Gamut and Gamma, outputs to rec.709.

The Dehaze tool built into DaVinci is extremely powerful and will help almost any video taken on dull overcast days and on overly bright days. The challenge is not to overuse it as the results are too dramatic when initially applied.

Mine hasn't crashed yet, but the betas are definitely less stable than the final versions. DR17 beta was unusable for me.

I am a big fan of DR and each version just keeps getting better. Version 18 was just released, it is still a beta but I upgraded anyway and will immediately start testing it out with some of my pending projects. Usually DR is rock solid stable even the betas but I did have some crashing issues in Version 17 when it was first released so if you are not adventurous or have a lot of important projects in your queue you may want to wait. Personally I like testing the betas because the DR developers are more receptive and fix problems that you report to them faster than if it were a final release especially if you own the Studio version.

Most of the big new features I don't really care about (cloud collaboration, collaboration, etc.) but with each release I test to see if Fusion integration has gotten any better. I have learned a lot of editing tricks from Casey Faris, here is his quick review of DR 18.

DR18 looks amazing but reports say it’s still buggy. Of course the best way to know is for one to test for themselves.

Casey Farris does offer a huge range of tutorials. Unfortunately it looks around so fast that even pausing understanding where he clicked one second and where he clicked another second is proving more than difficult to follow. His knowledge base is incredible, but for those of us who are relatively unfamiliar with fusion, at least for me, it’s impossible to follow once he gets going. If the dude would only slow down a bit when he clicks around his tutorials would be so much better. Of course if you’re familiar with using fusion already it might be easier to follow. However there are so many drop-down menus with so many items in there that somebody relatively new diffusion can easily get lost in his videos.

Reactions: herein2021
Just updated latest prod release of DR 17.x and like the direction of DR 18, however will wait for prod release, or perhaps a 18.1+ of DR before upgrading to that.

I am going to stick with version 17 for at least half a year longer. So have fun joyriding the beta version.

Reactions: gschulzuio
DR18 looks amazing but reports say it’s still buggy. Of course the best way to know is for one to test for themselves.

Casey Farris does offer a huge range of tutorials. Unfortunately it looks around so fast that even pausing understanding where he clicked one second and where he clicked another second is proving more than difficult to follow. His knowledge base is incredible, but for those of us who are relatively unfamiliar with fusion, at least for me, it’s impossible to follow once he gets going. If the dude would only slow down a bit when he clicks around his tutorials would be so much better. Of course if you’re familiar with using fusion already it might be easier to follow. However there are so many drop-down menus with so many items in there that somebody relatively new diffusion can easily get lost in his videos.

Once you get the basics of node editing he is pretty easy to follow. Yes he is fast, but I'd rather that than someone who covers the basics in every video and whose videos are then very long with unnecessary information for the advanced users. Once you get familiar with it and know the functions and operations of at least the common nodes, it gets really easy to follow him.

I am going to stick with version 17 for at least half a year longer. So have fun joyriding the beta version.

I don't usually use beta software but DR for me is different, mainly because you get a direct line to the developers especially if you bought the Studio edition. During betas they are a lot more receptive and make many changes on the fly based on user feedback, not to mention their betas are typically a lot more stable than most vendors. In fact, I would take their beta software any day over a released version of PP. I also sometimes manage to sneak in feature requests that they incorporate into the beta...nothing big but for me its still nice to see something I requested added to the product.

I have been deep dive testing their betas since DR15 and have direct contact info for their development team's project manager so I'm a little more vested in the success of DR than most. I have worked with them on crash logs, repro steps, use cases, regression testing, etc. The way I see it is we all benefit with each improvement of the product, it would be nice though if they would send me a free speed editor for all of the work I've done typing up my findings :D. I'm running DR18 Beta 2 now, and haven't had a single crash since upgrading from 17.

In DR17 (the released version), I was the first one to find and prove it had a nasty bug where it's GPU memory space was not being properly allocated causing LR, PS, and other GPU accelerated applications to become unstable and DR to crash if they were opened at the same time. So yea, to me testing betas and providing feedback is an important part of ensuring the next version of the software that you use meets or exceeds your expectations and its awesome that DR is one of the few companies who are so receptive to feedback.

Last edited:
studio license can run two dr copies at once so i have 18 on one mac and 17 on the other; not a problem upgrading to dr betas but i'm not finding (or reporting) bugs.

i agree casey is my #1 goto for yt videos. it is were not for him, i wouldnt be a far along as i am today. for beginners, this is good:

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials