Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Damaged Battery Warning. I included a picture of the battery screen. Is it really damaged? Or still good to go.

wonkyfist

Reaction score
IMG_8263.PNG

Any thoughts?

Edit: also what it considered a bad battery? What do I have to look out for in this screen?

I am confused over what you are asking. Nothing in the screenshot indicates the battery is damaged. The "Critically Low Battery Warning 10% is saying that when the remaining battery capacity reaches 10% while in flight then you will get a critically low battery warning on your screen. The warnings can be adjusted via the slider icons. the first white circle in the slider adjusts the Critically Low Battery Warning and the second white circle in the slider adjusts the Low Battery Warning.

If the battery were damaged, one or more of the green blocks below the voltage would turn yellow or red. The Autel EVO I and II uses a 3C battery which stands for 3 cell battery; so 3 completely independent cells wired in series to produce the necessary capacity and voltage

I am confused over what you are asking. Nothing in the screenshot indicates the battery is damaged. The "Critically Low Battery Warning 10% is saying that when the remaining battery capacity reaches 10% while in flight then you will get a critically low battery warning on your screen. The warnings can be adjusted via the slider icons. the first white circle in the slider adjusts the Critically Low Battery Warning and the second white circle in the slider adjusts the Low Battery Warning.

If the battery were damaged, one or more of the green blocks below the voltage would turn yellow or red. The Autel EVO I and II uses a 3C battery which stands for 3 cell battery; so 3 completely independent cells wired in series to produce the necessary capacity and voltage
That’s the problem. The evo 1 controller is indicating a “damaged battery” warning when i use this battery. This promptly doing a RTH sequence. Thats whyI posted the picture here. This picture was taken when the damaged battery warning was prompted. Now sitting at home with a day past done this warning, the controller is still promoting a damaged battery when i use this battery.

That’s the problem. The evo 1 controller is indicating a “damaged battery” warning when i use this battery. This promptly doing a RTH sequence. Thats whyI posted the picture here. This picture was taken when the damaged battery warning was prompted. Now sitting at home with a day past done this warning, the controller is still promoting a damaged battery when i use this battery.

If it only does it for this battery I would trust the drone's computer and stop using it. Possibly there's something in the battery that makes it suddenly drop the output voltage or maybe it fails one of the self checks. I wouldn't risk it; maybe even contact Autel to see if they will replace it or analyze the logs.

View attachment 9806

Any thoughts?

Edit: also what it considered a bad battery? What do I have to look out for in this screen?
@wonkyfist Welcome to the world of EVO 1 battery failure. If you notice the the center cell is out of tolerance with the outer two. No way to salvage the battery. I have had the EVO 1 since they first came out. After update 1.85 batteries started to fail. I've had 5 batteries fail that I have had to retire. Autel replaced a couple but I have purchased 3 additional at $85 a pop... Here is my EVO batteriy graveyard.. since disposed of properly. A balancing charger would be a great way to maintain them. I have 3rd party balance chargers for my other drones that will take them up or down to proper cell balance for storage. No such thing for the EVO 1 or 2

Attachments

• 5 dead batteries.jpg
    5 dead batteries.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
The Autel- 2 does self discharge i have a new one and live in michigan so only had one Battery run through. its been way to cold but when i charge the battery i used and i checked it a week later it had discharge down to 50% or a little lower. but i dont know much about Autel as i have had DJI for the past 15-years but sick of them so trying something new and the day i got to fly it i love it Tom

its been way to cold
I thought the same, (MI also), couldn't help it, decided to see how cold she'd fly, so far 3 flights in the teens with 0 problems. I did bring her back at 50%, just to be safe. Note: they were all sunny days ?

The Autel- 2 does self discharge i have a new one and live in michigan so only had one Battery run through. its been way to cold but when i charge the battery i used and i checked it a week later it had discharge down to 50% or a little lower. but i dont know much about Autel as i have had DJI for the past 15-years but sick of them so trying something new and the day i got to fly it i love it Tom
So does the EVO 1 it is just not a great way to do it. Hopefully with the EVO 2 they used a better battery build.

I just attempted to fly moments ago and got the voice announcement "Damaged Battery" and it also is plastered across the controller screen. I went into the battery menu on the connected phone and see that the cells are 4.027 volts, 4.115 volts and 4.240 volts. That's not bad but that darn thing refuses to let me start the motors. I'd fly with that battery without hesitation but the controller won't allow it. So how can I discharge and balance the battery. Apparently the charger is not balancing very well. This battery only has 23 discharge cycles on it. I'm charging up another battery right now and hope it doesn't do the same thing.

After asking Autel Customer Support via email the question about "DAMAGED BATTERY" and how I could possibly fix it, I received this very prompt reply.

If you have a cell variation of .05v or more, a "Damaged Battery" will show on the screen and will not allow launch. This is to ensure there is no issue while in flight and the drone crashes to the ground without power. You can try to reset the internal board by pressing the power button for 30 seconds while not plugged into anything. The battery will turn on, off, and back on. After 30 seconds turn it back off and plug into the wall charger for 24hrs. it will charge like normal, but the additional time will attempt to balance the cells internally. Beyond that, it would be a replacement battery. We do not have instructions to have you rebuild the battery pack as that would cause liability issues.

After asking Autel Customer Support via email the question about "DAMAGED BATTERY" and how I could possibly fix it, I received this very prompt reply.

If you have a cell variation of .05v or more, a "Damaged Battery" will show on the screen and will not allow launch. This is to ensure there is no issue while in flight and the drone crashes to the ground without power. You can try to reset the internal board by pressing the power button for 30 seconds while not plugged into anything. The battery will turn on, off, and back on. After 30 seconds turn it back off and plug into the wall charger for 24hrs. it will charge like normal, but the additional time will attempt to balance the cells internally. Beyond that, it would be a replacement battery. We do not have instructions to have you rebuild the battery pack as that would cause liability issues.
The old "push the button for 30 seconds and recharge for 24 hours" has not worked for me on any of the 5 failed batteries I have. I've tried it with all of them. If you are still under warranty have them replace it. Put in a ticket. They were pretty good about that with me on a couple of these even when I was 20 days past the warranty.

I got a Damaged Battery Warning. Autel Evo. I haven't flown in a month. Charged up 4 batteries, 3 a year and a half old. Around 30 cycles. 1 about a month old 1 flight. Prepared for flight, damaged battery warning. Tried rebooting, nothing worked. Changed battery and went up, was not the new battery. No problems. The next day, went to fly again, not the new battery and not the damaged battery. Got a warning, not in home location. I shut everything down and rebooted. Lifted off it went up higher than my normal hover very quickly. when it stopped I thought that was strange, and began to move it forward, it stopped and got RTH and quickly went to RTH altitude. Not knowing what was next, I manually tried to gain control and trying to land. It came down fast under its own power. Never seen it come down that fast but it made a soft landing and on astro turf. Looked at the controller and said damaged battery. Batteries have about thirty cycles on them except the new one. This can not be a coincidence, one then the other a day apart. None of the flight characteristics just described ever happened before. Thing has been flawless until now. I'm afraid if I put the new battery in, it will become damaged. I may try the third older battery but noway the other two in a row was coincidence. A takes on a possible cause?

I got a Damaged Battery Warning. Autel Evo. I haven't flown in a month. Charged up 4 batteries, 3 a year and a half old. Around 30 cycles. 1 about a month old 1 flight. Prepared for flight, damaged battery warning. Tried rebooting, nothing worked. Changed battery and went up, was not the new battery. No problems. The next day, went to fly again, not the new battery and not the damaged battery. Got a warning, not in home location. I shut everything down and rebooted. Lifted off it went up higher than my normal hover very quickly. when it stopped I thought that was strange, and began to move it forward, it stopped and got RTH and quickly went to RTH altitude. Not knowing what was next, I manually tried to gain control and trying to land. It came down fast under its own power. Never seen it come down that fast but it made a soft landing and on astro turf. Looked at the controller and said damaged battery. Batteries have about thirty cycles on them except the new one. This can not be a coincidence, one then the other a day apart. None of the flight characteristics just described ever happened before. Thing has been flawless until now. I'm afraid if I put the new battery in, it will become damaged. I may try the third older battery but noway the other two in a row was coincidence. A takes on a possible cause?
@jlanni The EVO 1 is known to have the smart batteries fail. Read the thread above. It has been discussed a lot. Once the cells get out of balance they are done. I might add that taking them down to 3.85 v per cell (50%) will store them properly. Also if you go unto RTH you can cancel it by holding the red pause button for 3 seconds. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: jlanni
@jlanni The EVO 1 is known to have the smart batteries fail. Read the thread above. It has been discussed a lot. Once the cells get out of balance they are done. I might add that taking them down to 3.85 v per cell (50%) will store them properly. Also if you go unto RTH you can cancel it by holding the red pause button for 3 seconds. Good luck.
Thank you. As I stated, 30 cycles and two a day apart can not be a coincidence. 30 cycles does not make owning this drone feasible. Has functioned flawless up until now.

Thank you. As I stated, 30 cycles and two a day apart can not be a coincidence. 30 cycles does not make owning this drone feasible. Has functioned flawless up until now.
@jlanni If those were the original batteries and were 3 years old its a Lipo thing. Unless you religiously store them at 50% they will eventually get out of balance and fail. I had the same thing happen. Bought a couple of new ones and they are fine. One of my original batteries has 30 + cycles and is usable but flight time is shorter.
You should be able to get a couple more and they will last another 3 years if you maintain them. EVO's have been notorious for battery failures. Just not the best build out there. Don't trust the auto discharge. Best way to store them is to take them up or down to 50% manually. You can see the voltage in the explorer app. Cells once again should read 3.85 for proper storage. I have replaced 5 over the years. That is to many but that it is the way it is.
I fly another brand and have a balance charger. By keeping them balanced when not in use they have held up for years. the EVO is a great little drone and just like all of them, batteries fail. It's a bummer but a reality.

Reactions: jlanni
Reactions: jcommstudios
FYI for EVO I owners, Best Buy is currently having a sale on the "On The Go Bundle". It's marked down to $55. It includes 2 batteries, a bag, and some props. If I hadn't lost my EVO I last month I'd pick up a couple for myself. With end of life coming, it might be worth while to pick up a couple along with the Best Buy extended warranty!
@JuanPablo Thanks for the heads up. Just pickup up this offering at this ridiculous low price. Although I prefer to by from a drone vendor I have picked up batteries from Best Buy and they are fine. Good share. They have them in stock at my local store with free delivery tomorrow! Can always use the bag for one of my M4 cameras...THANKS AGAIN!

I too recently had an "unknown battery" warning on my Evo 2 pro. It also says "voltage difference warning" in the menu. In my case it happened during mid flight and returned home safely. See attached screenshots.

Attachments

• IMG_2036.jpg
    IMG_2036.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2037.jpg
    IMG_2037.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 26
I too recently had an "unknown battery" warning on my Evo 2 pro. It also says "voltage difference warning" in the menu. In my case it happened during mid flight and returned home safely. See attached screenshots.
@davshev A bit late on the reply but it looks like your center cell is the culprit. You have quite a few discharges on that battery. You must be flying it a lot. Rotate your batteries when you fly if you can. Also don't leave them charged when you store them. Try to keep your storage level at 50%. I fly mine down to that level. The auto discharge is not reliable.

I do battery repairs and almost bet I could replace the cells in these with high-quality cells. I was thinking about buying one of these drones. So if anyone wants to send me a failed battery I can check it out and see. No charge to look at one, I have a way to cut open battery packs that are sealed. I use Panasonic cells mostly. I have a battery welder to put the cells back together. i also can install a balance board to keep cells balanced. I do this for metal detectors and tool batteries. So email me. [email protected]

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials