Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Custom EVO Rugged Case Foam - fits TDW LifThor Mjolnir

DroneBoy

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I realize I'm a new guy here, but I wanted to share something with the Evo II community and it seems as though most folks congregate here (any other forums I should be aware of?). I grabbed the Evo II Rugged Bundle when it first came out. It came with a nice hard case (reminded me of a Storm case) with custom GPC foam. I then picked up a car charger, 4-way battery charger, a LifThor Mjolnir and iPad Mini 4 (yes, the Autel Explorer doesn't support the Mini natively as it's made for iPhones, but it's on the docket from what I'm told). This is my first drone, and I'm not as experienced as I'd like to be, much less compared to any of you, but I didn't see the purpose of tossing a nice case just to purchase another that fit my controller with the LifThor on it. I contacted and worked with GPC for a bit to whip out some custom case foam to replace the foam inside the case Autel includes with the Rugged Bundle, and this is the result. I've already paid the design fee and just got the foam in today. It all fits well without any issues, but will not fit the Evo II prop guards if that's your thing. It holds 3 batteries as well as one inside the drone should you choose. I just picked up a 4Hawks Raptor and will install it, but currently the LifThor 4Hawks bracket installed (not on these photos) won't be an issue with how GPC laid out the controller position. The iPad Mini fits nicely, and there's about 3/4" on either side that is precut and can be plucked out for a larger sized tablet. There's also room for a few more odds and ends. You'll need to pull the old foam out - it's glued in a few spots, and glue the new stuff in. There is also a new top piece which is a bit thicker than the stock Autel one as well that comes with the setup - not sure if necessary but it's there if you need some real snugness. I'll contact GPC and ask them what the ordering code would be and post back here, and you'd just contact them and order from them. So hopefully that doesn't break any forum rules, as I'm not selling anything nor getting a kickback.

Overall I really like the Evo II, but do not like how Autel fails to release information on various things that are released or changed in the firmware or mobile apps. I usually turn to YouTube to find someone going over the new changes to see what's gonna happen before I update. The hardware is spot on and well built; just wish their software team was more on top of things.

Attachments

• EVOStockFoam-1.jpg
    EVOStockFoam-1.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 41
  • EVOStockFoam-2.jpg
    EVOStockFoam-2.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 39
  • EVONewFoam-1.jpg
    EVONewFoam-1.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 43
  • EVONewFoam-2.jpg
    EVONewFoam-2.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 44
  • EVONewFoam-3.jpg
    EVONewFoam-3.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 44
  • EVONewFoam-4.jpg
    EVONewFoam-4.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 41
  • EVONewFoam-5.jpg
    EVONewFoam-5.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 38
Hi folks,
I realize I'm a new guy here, but I wanted to share something with the Evo II community and it seems as though most folks congregate here (any other forums I should be aware of?). I grabbed the Evo II Rugged Bundle when it first came out. It came with a nice hard case (reminded me of a Storm case) with custom GPC foam. I then picked up a car charger, 4-way battery charger, a LifThor Mjolnir and iPad Mini 4 (yes, the Autel Explorer doesn't support the Mini natively as it's made for iPhones, but it's on the docket from what I'm told). This is my first drone, and I'm not as experienced as I'd like to be, much less compared to any of you, but I didn't see the purpose of tossing a nice case just to purchase another that fit my controller with the LifThor on it. I contacted and worked with GPC for a bit to whip out some custom case foam to replace the foam inside the case Autel includes with the Rugged Bundle, and this is the result. I've already paid the design fee and just got the foam in today. It all fits well without any issues, but will not fit the Evo II prop guards if that's your thing. It holds 3 batteries as well as one inside the drone should you choose. I just picked up a 4Hawks Raptor and will install it, but currently the LifThor 4Hawks bracket installed (not on these photos) won't be an issue with how GPC laid out the controller position. The iPad Mini fits nicely, and there's about 3/4" on either side that is precut and can be plucked out for a larger sized tablet. There's also room for a few more odds and ends. You'll need to pull the old foam out - it's glued in a few spots, and glue the new stuff in. There is also a new top piece which is a bit thicker than the stock Autel one as well that comes with the setup - not sure if necessary but it's there if you need some real snugness. I'll contact GPC and ask them what the ordering code would be and post back here, and you'd just contact them and order from them. So hopefully that doesn't break any forum rules, as I'm not selling anything nor getting a kickback.

Overall I really like the Evo II, but do not like how Autel fails to release information on various things that are released or changed in the firmware or mobile apps. I usually turn to YouTube to find someone going over the new changes to see what's gonna happen before I update. The hardware is spot on and well built; just wish their software team was more on top of things.
Thanks for sharing...
How much GPC charge for all this anyway?. Just curious.
Andy

Nice mod! Just a heads up to anyone interested, we designed a custom case (by GPC) that allows you to carry the LifThor on the controller.
Empire Drone EVO II Case™ by GPC
Yes, I saw yours, almost picked it up but I have this rugged case which is fine otherwise, hence contact GPC to redesign it to fit what I needed. I paid around $170 for the foam and one-time design fee. I haven't heard back regarding part number or cost, but I would guess it'd be around $85-90.

Ok, got a part number from GPC, it is GPC-KS-EVOII-THOR-F (18451) (Foam Only) and it's $68.50 currently, though that can change as time goes on due to material costs, etc. They also sell the 1813-7 case which is same size as Autel's, but if you don't have a case I'd probably get the Empire Drone setup as it's a little bigger and holds a few more things like prop guards. Otherwise, this is a good replacement for the stock Autel case foam and meets my needs, and further foam shipments will have the CF card and batteries set down inside the case a little more to allow for more clearance. Let me know if any of you grab it.

Hi folks,

Nice! I am looking for a similar setup for my EVO 1st generation. I just got an iPad Mini 5th generation and a LifThor mount...with no sane way to transport it all. I'm pretty new to this stuff and I have a couple of questions. Are the EVO 1&2 close enough in size that the foam could be tweaked to secure my bird OR should I bite the bullet and reach out to GPC for a quote? I need to find a solution before my wife makes me and the drone disappear. Thanks!

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials