Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Cracks in the body of EVO II

Dan89

Reaction score
I noticed some cracks in the body of my drone. Cracks located on both sides of the EVO.

I used the drone very carefully. He never fell, transportation was carried out in a special bag with a soft lining, in the folded state. I made about 15-20 flights. Obviously, the body is very weak, because this is an area, for which I take it for handling before and after takeoff.

Who knows can it cause further damage during flights? I've already sent email to Autel Robotics, but haven't recieved answer.

20200707171604_1H5A9950_1.JPG

• Wow
Reactions: PingSpike
I got the same within a week of buying the drone. I’ll send a pic to follow. I thought maybe it was from a swelled battery. But only a week and it cracked. No idea when it happened either.

Reactions: Dan89
I got the same within a week of buying the drone. I’ll send a pic to follow. I thought maybe it was from a swelled battery. But only a week and it cracked. No idea when it happened either.

Looks bad( what do you think, may the crack affect to the whole structure?

drunken workers? lol
Sorry, didn't get, what do you mean? )

Attachments

• 1594289134839.png
    1594289134839.png
    312 bytes · Views: 16
Wow! I thought it was just me! I have the same crack in the same area! I've not crashed or had a hard landing at all either. I submitted support ticket request and have yet to hear back either!!!!!

I did apply a touch of super glue to the area in the meantime. It seems to have stopped the migration.

I noticed some cracks in the body of my drone. Cracks located on both sides of the EVO.

I used the drone very carefully. He never fell, transportation was carried out in a special bag with a soft lining, in the folded state. I made about 15-20 flights. Obviously, the body is very weak, because this is an area, for which I take it for handling before and after takeoff.

Who knows can it cause further damage during flights? I've already sent email to Autel Robotics, but haven't recieved answer.

View attachment 7705
861179E5-CED7-426F-9883-E50DC7C206CE.jpegB3CE3BC0-2643-40DE-97B0-E5CBF330583D.jpeg

I just checked mine and no cracks, about 12 flights so far.

This reminds me of the story of the US Air Force hiring a scientist to study damage to bombers that returned from raids over Germany full of holes.
They asked him where to put additional armor on the planes based on the damaged areas.

He did a study and came back with the answer that surprised them.

"Wherever you see damage on a plane that made it back, we don't need to put armor there. The planes took damage there, and obviously survived. You need to put armor EVERYWHERE ELSE. Planes that suffered damage in those places are the ones that crashed. The planes we want to see with critical battle damage are all in Germany or the English Channel"

So what's my point? I'm sure Autel has made the plastic thinner in non-structural areas to keep the weight down. Maybe they took it a little too far and the plastic is easily damaged but it may not be a structural problem.

Balancing strength versus weight is a constant battle in anything that flies.

Yeah, it's a bummer and hopefully the Evo 3 will be designed with this in consideration. If this happens to mine, I'll glue the cracks and not consider this a fatal flaw.

Last edited:
I just checked mine and no cracks, about 12 flights so far.

This reminds me of the story of the US Air Force hiring a scientist to study damage to bombers that returned from raids over Germany full of holes.
They asked him where to put additional armor on the planes based on the damaged areas.

He did a study and came back with the answer that surprised them.

"Wherever you see damage on a plane that made it back, we don't need to put armor there. The planes took damage there, and obviously survived. You need to put armor EVERYWHERE ELSE. Planes that suffered damage in those places are the ones that crashed. The planes we want to see with critical battle damage are all in Germany or the English Channel"

So what's my point? I'm sure Autel has made the plastic thinner in non-structural areas to keep the weight down. Maybe they took it a little too far and the plastic is easily damaged but it may not be a structural problem.

Balancing strength versus weight is a constant battle in anything that flies.

Yeah, it's a bummer and hopefully the Evo 3 will be designed with this in consideration. If this happens to mine, I'll glue the cracks and not consider this a fatal flaw.

+1
Very convincing, I hope you are right. However, this is what you do not expect for such money. Waiting for an official response

This reminds me of the plaque Phantom3-4 and pro. Every one that I owned had the hair line cracks under the motor mount. I’ll have to look over mine. Ridiculous!!

So I heard from support today and (of course) they want the unit back to evaluate it.
I'm honestly not sure I want to send it in yet as I've now seen a few people with the same problem. Fitting a new shell isn't going to fix the underlying problem.
I initially noticed the crack around 10-12 hours flight time and it now sits around 20 hours in the air. So, like I said, a little crazy glue stopped the advance of the cracking so I might wait to hear more back before losing the bird for weeks (at least).

Thanks for sharing. Just checked all of our EVO II Dual demo units which have a significant amount of flight time and have been going all across the country over the last few months and no cracks on any of them that I can see. Will definitely keep a look out!

Reactions: AdamJ1555 and Dan89
I initially noticed the crack around 10-12 hours flight time and it now sits around 20 hours in the air. So, like I said, a little crazy glue stopped the advance of the cracking so I might wait to hear more back before losing the bird for weeks (at least).

Mine has about a 10 flights, more than 1hr. No cracks so far. Looks like I still have about 10 trouble-less hours. Thanks fro sharing. I'll check it regularly now.
Still an open question if it's a production quality or design problem. The later can be fixed only with new version, and may cost Autel quite a lot. Everyone still remembers Karma...

Mine has about a 10 flights, more than 1hr. No cracks so far. Looks like I still have about 10 trouble-less hours. Thanks fro sharing. I'll check it regularly now.
Still an open question if it's a production quality or design problem. The later can be fixed only with new version, and may cost Autel quite a lot. Everyone still remembers Karma...
It's funny how Karma got to the Karma. ?

Man do you guys even like autel? Seems there is lot of mixed feelings? I don't know why autel has any bad karma. But i assume your talking about the court stuff with dji. But I stand behind them.
Not standing there talking about them....But would be upset if my evo 2 was cracking as well. Not refuting that. My evo 1 has cracks by one the arms. I called autel they said its not a structural thing but i could send it in for repair. Decided to keep flying. Safe flying. I love my autel. Dont know about yall.

Reactions: Len
Wow! I thought it was just me! I have the same crack in the same area! I've not crashed or had a hard landing at all either. I submitted support ticket request and have yet to hear back either!!!!!

I did apply a touch of super glue to the area in the meantime. It seems to have stopped the migration.

View attachment 7709View attachment 7710
I feel your pain, but wouldn't you be serving not only yourself but the community by allowing Autel to evaluate the issue and maybe come up with a fix that benefits all? Also maybe they not only replace the shell but reenforce the area so it doesn't happen again.

Parts would be great! Don’t need them right now, I would start collecting fuselage arm’s props. I plan to be owning and flying this bird for awhile.

My biggest concern is EAGLES and HAWKS!
We have plenty of those predators, I’ve had to make some distancing decisions when aloft.

Any of you pilots out there have any information of motor run time before change out!
I’ve had motors over the years wear out if not totally fail in mid flight.
You know the results of that.
These were racing drones, usually you can walk over and pick them up.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marshall@DRONE