Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Cracked antenna

Hazz

Reaction score
Just my 5th flight on my evo and today i noticed this . What should i do ? I bought it on march 3 from bestbuy.

Attachments

• crack.jpg
    crack.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 77
Yep. Write a ticket up... or hang onto it until it fully cracks... BUT expect to be without a controller for three weeks.... I wish they'd send out a loaner.

Do they want you to send in the hole drone or just the controller ?

Has anyone tried applying epoxy around that area to reinforce it as a preventative measure? You'd have to be careful when applying it to insure you don't get any in the pivot point and lock the antennas in place but it might strengthen that area enough to prevent it from cracking.

They sent me a RMA yesterday so iam sending it to them today. They want the controller and the drone because I told them I was getting a weak video signal error message with the drone 50 ft away from me . This was the first flight since I upgraded the firmware.

Reactions: thomasr
They sent me a RMA yesterday so iam sending it to them today. They want the controller and the drone because I told them I was getting a weak video signal error message with the drone 50 ft away from me . This was the first flight since I upgraded the firmware.

That is best -- you are going to do without a controller and can not fly. Might as well get a check-up on the actual Evo while you are getting your controller swapped.

My antennas unfortunately have started cracking too. I noticed that when I seen a pin starting to slide out -- small fractures starting to appear in the cheap plastic. I had/have issue with the cheap plastic chosen for this production of Evos.

I was thinking I would ask Autel if they could charge my CC for a controller -- then when I received it -- send the old controller back and refund my credit card once they received it.

But -- I think I may send it all in for a "check-up".

I have seen someone else mention their signal seems to have interference lately. I have also noticed an up-tick in interference where I fly -- that does not make sense. Not sure if the antennas on the remote would cause this -- or if something has happened with the array/wiring in the Evo's prop arms.

Autel could have "tweaked" something in the radio parameters too -- that could be a cause. I sure hope they are not turning the transmitter power down any lower than it already is. I think it may also have to do with the image quality they are trying to send back to the controller based on the channel sizes they give to operate 5/10/20 MHz. You are only going to get sooo much out of a 2.4 GHz link due to channel size and/or interference.

Mine only seems to like 10 MHz channels -- and that doesn't seem to be cutting it lately -- not even for the "smooth" video setting. If I select 5 MHz - I get no distance and errors about video signal. If I select 20 MHz -- I get more distance than 5 MHz -- but the video cuts in and out with errors about video signal again.

I seem to get the best range using 10 MHz, but on this last firmware -- it doesn't seem to have the same exact range and the video seems to cut out almost as bad as described for 5 and 20 MHz channel operations.

Please let us know your outcome!!! I may get a few more flights in before my antenna's are no longer attached and I am forced to do without for a few weeks -- like yourself.

Not saying this is your problem but spring time brings on leaves and a lot of foliage that we don't have during the winter months making it harder for the signal to penetrate through. Might be some of the problems.

My video signal error just started after I updated the firmware. I have my mavic pro and air to fly while the evo is gone. This is kind of worrying with the Evo I only had it for a month with less than 5 flights. Never had any issues with my dji drones. My mavic pro is 2 and a half years old my air is 1 year old.

Last edited:
Got controller and drone back yesterday. Sent in April 10

There has got to be something that could be done to reinforce that area like adding a small piece of plastic and a little glue.

There has got to be something that could be done to reinforce that area like adding a small piece of plastic and a little glue.
Part of the problem is the antennas both rotate and can be flipped down to better clear the tablet and stay parallel, but they each only rotate in one direction and can only be flipped down when in one direction, but it is never apparent which direction is correct, resulting inadvertently in trying to force it in the wrong direction. I'm sure that is responsible for the cracks, as well as additional stress on the visible cables inside. Very poor design, and the handles are also no where near as robust as the Mavic RC handles. Also Autel will only replace your controller within two weeks of purchase, so an advance purchased replacement is not an option, if you have owned it longer than that. It must be sent in for repair, and they allow a full 14 days for all repairs from the date repair acknowledges receipt. Three week turnaround time, including shipping time. Also, call UPS local dispatch and request to "meet the driver on his route" on the day of delivery because Autel requires a live adult signature at delivery, and will not allow you to redirect the shipment to any UPS Store, so you will be otherwise be chained to the front door from 3:45pm in the afternoon up until 7:45pm at night on a Friday of a holiday weekend! Thanks, Autel! :rolleyes:

Autel returned my rc to me thru FedEx, I was able to have FedEx hold it at the Walgreens near my house for pickup.

Autel returned my rc to me thru FedEx, I was able to have FedEx hold it at the Walgreens near my house for pickup.
Not sure how they choose which carrier to use for sending back your EVO, but their UPS shipments are a PIA to receive, with all the ridiculous and unnecessary restrictions Autel places upon the recipient! I even have a UPS account, and could not make any changes to the restricted delivery!

Not sure how they choose which carrier to use for sending back your EVO, but their UPS shipments are a PIA to receive, with all the ridiculous and unnecessary restrictions Autel places upon the recipient! I even have a UPS account, and could not make any changes to the restricted delivery!
They sent mine through USPS and got the address wrong. I wonder if it will arrive...

They sent mine through USPS and got the address wrong. I wonder if it will arrive...
Fingers crossed! If they choose the shipper, Autel would be responsible for replacing it, if it gets lost in the mail! Could be a while!

Fingers crossed! If they choose the shipper, Autel would be responsible for replacing it, if it gets lost in the mail! Could be a while!
It will be a while even if it doesn't. 2 weeks shipping.... if the Evo is still broken, I'm selling it and moving on.

It will be a while even if it doesn't. 2 weeks shipping.... if the Evo is still broken, I'm selling it and moving on.
I'm ready to do the same. This has been one nightmare after another! Now that the Mavic 2 has NLD capability, the EVO offers nothing worthy of distinction, except 4K 60fps, but only at 20mph, and only within 1.5 miles, and no 30° gimbal elevation above horizontal needed for spherical panoramas, and no iPad use, and all beginner safety settings are restored after every reboot! The customer service hours have now been cut back by 20%, and the simplest of repairs takes 3 weeks because they must be sending them all back to China for repair! Not kidding! The single Chinese engineer gives contradictory answers and is simply unavailable to respond to explain the contradictions! These guys make DJI look good!

Reactions: Ansia

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d