Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Considering switching to Evo II RTK

amicron

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am a Phantom 4 RTK owner/user that is considering the switch to the Evo II RTK but I am still on the fence and trying to figure out the differences between the two. The one feature I see that I may be giving up is the terrain following. I have done some research and I just can not find anything about the Evo having terrain following, so I believe it's not an included feature. I have also looked into third-party software that offers terrain following but not of that is straightforward. It's either buggy or quirky or only works on some versions of the Evo II Pro, such as Map Pilot Pro. Does anyone use terrain following on the Evo?

Also, if anyone has experience with both the Phantom and the Evo and has any first-hand advice or comparisons between the two I would appreciate it. Thinking about switching for several reasons: the no-fly zones and unlocking them, seems like the camera is better on the Evo, the DJI DRTK2 base is kind of useless and Emlid Reach appears to be a little more useful, Evo is more compact, you get the idea. And now that I think about it, I guess I am choosing between upgrading to the Mavic 3 Enterprise and the Evo or just staying with the P4RTK. Again, any help is appreciated.

Thank you everyone! Already learned a lot looking through the threads.

Hello everyone, I am a Phantom 4 RTK owner/user that is considering the switch to the Evo II RTK but I am still on the fence and trying to figure out the differences between the two. The one feature I see that I may be giving up is the terrain following. I have done some research and I just can not find anything about the Evo having terrain following, so I believe it's not an included feature. I have also looked into third-party software that offers terrain following but not of that is straightforward. It's either buggy or quirky or only works on some versions of the Evo II Pro, such as Map Pilot Pro. Does anyone use terrain following on the Evo?

Also, if anyone has experience with both the Phantom and the Evo and has any first-hand advice or comparisons between the two I would appreciate it. Thinking about switching for several reasons: the no-fly zones and unlocking them, seems like the camera is better on the Evo, the DJI DRTK2 base is kind of useless and Emlid Reach appears to be a little more useful, Evo is more compact, you get the idea. And now that I think about it, I guess I am choosing between upgrading to the Mavic 3 Enterprise and the Evo or just staying with the P4RTK. Again, any help is appreciated.

As much as I like my EVO II 6K for photography/video work, I would have a hard time recommending the Autel drones for anything else. This forum is filled with regret and problems from owners of the RTK and Enterprise drones. If you can live with the invasion of privacy and geofencing then you should probably stick with DJI.

As far as a comparison between the two, I came from the DJI world and did a write up here on my experiences and comparisons between the two.

As much as I like my EVO II 6K for photography/video work, I would have a hard time recommending the Autel drones for anything else. This forum is filled with regret and problems from owners of the RTK and Enterprise drones. If you can live with the invasion of privacy and geofencing then you should probably stick with DJI.

As far as a comparison between the two, I came from the DJI world and did a write up here on my experiences and comparisons between the two.
Thank you! That thread was informative. Really appreciate the response.

I came from an extensive background with DJI, P4s in particular, both RTK and base models. I tried out the Autel v2 with RTK, and while the image quality was great, it's underlying issues were too many to consider it safe to use in a commercial environment.

I have since received a v3 unit, which is supposed to resolve most (hopefully all) of the v2 issues, however I've not had a chance to fly it due to poor weather.

In the interim of waiting for a solution to the issues the Autel v2 unit had, we purchased the three of the M3E units with RTK, and we couldn't be happier with it's performance, reliability and quality.

Thank you for the response. I am very interested in hearing what you think of the V3 model when you get a chance to fly it. I know I probably can't lose with the M3E but hoping to get away from DJI. It's not absolutely necessary, but if there is a good option, I will strongly consider it.

You are correct, no terrain following with the Evo2. UgCS has a workaround, but it is not a solid solution by any means. There are SDK developers that have tried to work with Autel's SDK, but it is buggy and Autel shows little interest in working on it at this point. A contact at Autel has said that a terrain awareness solution is in the works for the coming months, but software development there has proven to move at a glacial pace.

This imagery out of the Evo2 is nice, even though it does not have a mechanical shutter. And, the RTK system seems to work as well as the DJI system. You don't have geofencing (the reason I have one) and you don't have DJI's bad rap with the US feds. If that is enough to consider the Evo2 over your P4R or a new M3E, you will have to decide. There is nothing wrong with the P4R, even though it is older. I have not seen anything that makes a case that the M3E is more accurate than the P4R. It can cover more terrain per battery, but other than that, it is not some huge step up from the P4R from what has been demonstrated so far.

I'm waiting for the V3 of the Autel drone, hoping to bring me a different experience

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials