Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Comparing sensor size between Evo Duo and Mavic Enterprise Duo (photos)

CactusJackSlade

Reaction score
I have been a bit hesitant to post this because the image I am posting is NOT directly from a Mavic Enterprise Duo FLIR but from the same sensor and lens as used on the Mavic Enterprise Duo FLIR.

When FLIR announced it's "GoPro FLIR clone" I jumped on it, thinking it would be useful for Search And Rescue and things of that nature and I would be able to rivive my trusty Phantom 2 with Zenmuse gimbal (made for GoPro sized cameras). I was sorely disappointed as in my review HERE. That camera is now discontinued , maybe the 75,000+ views on my basically negative review had something to do with that?

When DJI announced the Enterprise Series with FLIR I was extremely excited... until I spoke with them at the CES trade show and found out they were using the same sensor and lens as in the FLIR Duo R which I had already condemned for (most) uses.

THEN came along the Autel Evo II Duo with a very good sized sensor. I ordered one on the spot... well, pre-ordered through Drone Nerds at the 2020 CES show this year.

I've had it for 10 days now, done several flights out my back yard and I am very satisfied with the FLIR camera capabilities. (More on the Evo II when I do a full unbiased review).

The image posted will give you a general idea the difference between an 160x120 sensor and a 640 x 512 sensor. Quite a difference and the very reason I did not get a Mavic Enterprise.

AGAIN: This is NOT an image off of a Mavic, but from the FLIR Duo R which uses the same sensor and lens as the Mavic. I will say after seeing some footage and comparisons on line of actual Mavic Duo FLIR images, the posted image is more grainy, but not that far off what you would see in a Mavic Duo.

Hope this helps :)DuoR_vs_EvoDuo.jpg

Last edited:
Nice post @CactusJackSlade. That is a very fair comparison, although as you mention, I do agree that your posted image is slightly more grainy that a typical Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual picture.

What this emphasizes is the fact that a 160 sensor is only usable at max altitude of 100 ft AGL (some would say even 50-75 ft). Even without FLIR MSX technology in the Boson on the EVO II Dual, the detail is incredible where you're seeing detail you wouldn't expect to see from thermal imagery.

As shown by your Lepton shot, if that's a SAR mission how do you know whether that spec a wild animal or a human.

Thanks for posting!

Reactions: CactusJackSlade
Definitely... and what I said i my review was basically if using the Lepton 160 x 120 sensor (on what ever camera/drone) theuse is limited to very close inspection - roofs, solar panels etc. at less than 100 feet.

Reactions: advexure
Excellent, finally someone has done a proper side by side comparison (why I was hesitant to post mine sine it was not the actual Mavic, but just same sensor and lens). Thanks for taking the time to do this.

My biggest reason for wanting this comparison is because many people (myself included) were hopeful that the Mavic Enterprise Duo (FLIR) would be good for Search and Rescue... and IMO, that just is not the case unless you are looking for a person on a barren cold environment.

Excellent, finally someone has done a proper side by side comparison (why I was hesitant to post mine sine it was not the actual Mavic, but just same sensor and lens). Thanks for taking the time to do this.

My biggest reason for wanting this comparison is because many people (myself included) were hopeful that the Mavic Enterprise Duo (FLIR) would be good for Search and Rescue... and IMO, that just is not the case unless you are looking for a person on a barren cold environment.

You bet! You are not alone. SAR team members and agencies alike need to see firsthand the difference between all of the different sensor options on the market. Now that we've got options, our job is to provide the knowledge and experience to make educated decisions! ?

• Love
Reactions: PingSpike
Is the infrared camera the same focal length as the visible light camera?
I would think for infrared uses, a more telephoto lens would be more useful (say, 50mm film equivalent). The subjects in the first sample image above are extremely small and difficult to spot in such a wide angle view.

I suppose the alternative is to fly lower, but I would think in many situations it would be necessary to fly above the tree line.

I agree the higher resolution looks better, but aren't we talking about ~$3,000 vs $8,000 ?

Is the infrared camera the same focal length as the visible light camera?
I would think for infrared uses, a more telephoto lens would be more useful (say, 50mm film equivalent). The subjects in the first sample image above are extremely small and difficult to spot in such a wide angle view.

I suppose the alternative is to fly lower, but I would think in many situations it would be necessary to fly above the tree line.

I agree the higher resolution looks better, but aren't we talking about ~$3,000 vs $8,000 ?

I believe on the EVO II Dual the focal length on the visual camera is 28mm while the thermal is 14mm.

There is certainly a happy medium when it comes to thermal cameras' focal lengths as inspection applications typically want a longer lens, while SAR typically wants a wider lens.

I believe on the EVO II Dual the focal length on the visual camera is 28mm while the thermal is 14mm.

There is certainly a happy medium when it comes to thermal cameras' focal lengths as inspection applications typically want a longer lens, while SAR typically wants a wider lens.
it looks like infrared and visual are using different sensor sizes. According to owners manual my Evo 2 pro has an 82 degree field of view while the 14mm infrared has a 32 degree, so it is indeed a much more zoomed in view, if I'm doing my math right about equal to the pro camera on 3x zoom.

it looks like infrared and visual are using different sensor sizes. According to owners manual my Evo 2 pro has an 82 degree field of view while the 14mm infrared has a 32 degree, so it is indeed a much more zoomed in view, if I'm doing my math right about equal to the pro camera on 3x zoom.

Yes, very correct. Thermal sensors vs visible light sensors are on a whole other level. The thermal sensor on the Evo 2 Duo is 640 x 512 while the visible light camera is 7680 x 4320. Quite a difference, which kinda translates into "zoom" if you want the images to line up in the dual image mode... if that makes sense?

Attachments

• PictureInPicture.jpg
    PictureInPicture.jpg
    932.2 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: advexure

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kingraja