Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

clarification on RC cable

BenTheCAflyer

Reaction score
I recently picked up a couple of extra micro-USB to USB-C cables in case I lost the one that came with the Evo II. I've tested them and none connect to the remote. Is it required to buy official Autel or other 'drone certified' cables?

I've also tried USB-A to USB-C with the same result. In both cases the remote tries to charge from the phone.

Thank you!

There's not such thing as Autel certified cable.
When you buy USB cable make sure it's capable of data transmission. Some USB cables are power only.

Android phone always get charged from your remote.

Reactions: DaveMH
There's not such thing as Autel certified cable.
When you buy USB cable make sure it's capable of data transmission. Some USB cables are power only.

Android phone always get charged from your remote.
By 'official' I just mean the one they offer on their site.
I didn't actually know there were power-only USB cables. I'll check, thank you!

Many cables you'll find in a department store or a gas station or eBay are charge-only. Don't worry about the Micro USB end, the larger more robust USB-A port works great.

For using a smartphone with the Autel Standard Controller, I like 12" long right angle cables-- with USB A to USB C-- because the little Micro USB end on the Autel supplied cable is delicate and points down, which is not so helpful (OTOH, a right-handed right angle cable wraps around the controller nicely). I can leave the USB A cable plugged in 24/7 and not suffer wear and tear on the Micro USB end everytime I need to charge up the controller (for that, there's a little magnetic stub end I leave in that port as a quick-connect). Most of the cheap data cables will not have USB 3.1 speeds for data but 3.1 is generally preferable for the RF shielding they'll have (not to mention if you ever need to move a bunch of video files to an SSD-- if you happen to grab that cable out of a drawer full of 'em,, you'll curse having a USB-C cable with USB 1.0 or USB 2.0 speeds).

USB 2.0 seems adequate for 1080p video feed. I bought a McDodo branded, black fabric coiled USB A-USB-C for my tablet because 12" wasn't enough length for the tray setup I built and it's worked well the past 6+ months

Many cables you'll find in a department store or a gas station or eBay are charge-only. Don't worry about the Micro USB end, the larger more robust USB-A port works great.

For using a smartphone with the Autel Standard Controller, I like 12" long right angle cables-- with USB A to USB C-- because the little Micro USB end on the Autel supplied cable is delicate and points down, which is not so helpful (OTOH, a right-handed right angle cable wraps around the controller nicely). I can leave the USB A cable plugged in 24/7 and not suffer wear and tear on the Micro USB end everytime I need to charge up the controller (for that, there's a little magnetic stub end I leave in that port as a quick-connect). Most of the cheap data cables will not have USB 3.1 speeds for data but 3.1 is generally preferable for the RF shielding they'll have (not to mention if you ever need to move a bunch of video files to an SSD-- if you happen to grab that cable out of a drawer full of 'em,, you'll curse having a USB-C cable with USB 1.0 or USB 2.0 speeds).

USB 2.0 seems adequate for 1080p video feed. I bought a McDodo branded, black fabric coiled USB A-USB-C for my tablet because 12" wasn't enough length for the tray setup I built and it's worked well the past 6+ months
thanks so much! This is exactly the response I was looking for. I'll go with your recommendation since it's working for you. Much appreciated!

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58