Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

choppy video - frozen video frozen phone

scott.g

Reaction score
Just dont know what to do..

latest version software installed.
Went into Arizona desert, just cactus and flat ground.. Complete line of site.. Video freezes at about 500 feet away 100 feet off the ground.

Never loss of control of the aircraft, just a frozen image on my Samsung S8 phone..

This happens every time I fly. I restart phone and controller, same thing..

I just watched the footage and it looks great, so recording 4k 60 was fine... just no video transmission..

Last edited:
Reactions: BenCham
I give you a track (identical problem that I had this year as well on Explorer and another flight program on DJI).
Try to make the Radio / Samsung connection with a simple USB cable 2.
I mean a USB 2 cable. The problem, I think, is that the new USB 3 Fast Charge Type cables contain an electronic charge regulator module giving it priority.
However, since the Evo radio (like that of the Mavic 2 pro) charges the smartphone when it is plugged into the radio, even for a minimal charge current, I think that the electronics of the cable interrupt or reduce the data flow ( video) to prioritize the load.
In any case, my radio / tablet cutoff problem was solved by adopting a simple USB 2 cable without internal electronics.

Hmm... If you do a flight test with just the controller and no phone, can you get a video feed okay on the bulletin screen? It could help to try and isolate the issue a bit.

Also check in settings, There is a video transmission setting that got me stuck in a similar bind when an update flipped it without warning. Try setting it to "smooth" if it isn't already set that way.

Thanks Andrew Ill try that, it did occur to me after I got home I should have checked to see if just the RC would show video. I was just so frustrated, I wasn't thinking. Ill check out the Transmission Settings also..

Have the same problem. Often my phone redmi 8 pro Is freezing with the Autel app. WTF!

Hi Guys
Well here is the latest. I have the latest firmware...
I have checked all the settings you have suggested and they were all set correctly already.

I have swapped the cable to run out of the larger USB port on the remote to my phone... It seemed the same to me..

Method of test to date.
I decided to test without flying... As I can't get out today for a flight.

I set my Evo2-8k inside my apartment 1st floor and walked to a place where the transmission stopped working.. It was about400 feet at a guess and there were buildings in the way.
I found a spot where one step to the right I would lose transmission, one step back and transmission was restored.. ( the sweet spot of disaster.. LOL)

So I stepped left lost transmission. I swapped cables, and also switched to the video display to the RC without the phone.. Everything lost transmission at the same place with a step to the right. and they all restored with a step to the left. Nothing was better or worse.
So that's two cables or just using the RC.. All the same results..

So I am not sure if this was a failure or an expected normal result. (I suspect it was normal)

Therefore, is it the location where I am having the issue.. I don't know. It is about a 45 min drive into the desert, with very little housing, and almost flat,m just some rocks, with pure line of site to the drone... I would guess the distance was a little further when the video failed, but not much.

So it takes me 1.5 hours to drive there and back, I don't want to go again without some more ideas as to what try if it fails again..

Hi, I have tried the aerials at every angle you can think of.. Straight up, at 70deg, 45, deg straight out.. Nothing seems to affect the outcome..

Yea, its been to autel already, they replaced the IMU. Came back with most issues fixed, but this video thing is new.. One issue they didn't fix is, every time I land, I am landing according to the readout on the remote, at a -(Miuns) Altitude, today was -3.5 feet.. Anyway...

Just flew on a local school oval. Got B4yFly Approval and I was able to fly 1650 feet away at 100 feet with not a single issue.. So I know if it goes back to Autel they probably won't find anything.
Im going back out to the Desert tomorrow, Ill take video with another camera of the adventure and let you guys see what happens.

Thanx..

Yea, its been to autel already, they replaced the IMU. Came back with most issues fixed, but this video thing is new.. One issue they didn't fix is, every time I land, I am landing according to the readout on the remote, at a -(Miuns) Altitude, today was -3.5 feet.. Anyway...

Just flew on a local school oval. Got B4yFly Approval and I was able to fly 1650 feet away at 100 feet with not a single issue.. So I know if it goes back to Autel they probably won't find anything.
Im going back out to the Desert tomorrow, Ill take video with another camera of the adventure and let you guys see what happens.

Thanx..
That sounds encouraging. The altitude discrepancy is not unusual for drones. They use barometric pressure to determine altitude which is not terribly accurate. This pressure can change with temperature and atmosphere during the flight.

That sounds encouraging. The altitude discrepancy is not unusual for drones. They use barometric pressure to determine altitude which is not terribly accurate. This pressure can change with temperature and atmosphere during the flight.
Well i went back to the desert, what a night mare.
I looked at the transmission graph and it was mostly flat..
Kept losing connection, and finally, I changed the transmission freq to 20Mhz. Vwalla, it all seemed good. I flew 1650 feet away, then lost connection again, pure line of site flat ground. So much for miles, can't even get half a mile.
Ok, so I flew it back to me, it got 20 feet away and lost connection again and it decided to fly home couldn't stop it.
Tried with and without the phone connected, different cables and even put phone in flight mode.. Video kept freezing accept when I put in 20Mhz. It produced the best results, but I thought that was just video connection..
I lost actual control a few times and it flew home.

Ok time to call Autel again for the tenth time... huggghhh

Well i went back to the desert, what a night mare.
I looked at the transmission graph and it was mostly flat..
Kept losing connection, and finally, I changed the transmission freq to 20Mhz. Vwalla, it all seemed good. I flew 1650 feet away, then lost connection again, pure line of site flat ground. So much for miles, can't even get half a mile.
Ok, so I flew it back to me, it got 20 feet away and lost connection again and it decided to fly home couldn't stop it.
Tried with and without the phone connected, different cables and even put phone in flight mode.. Video kept freezing accept when I put in 20Mhz. It produced the best results, but I thought that was just video connection..
I lost actual control a few times and it flew home.

Ok time to call Autel again for the tenth time... huggghhh
One other thing. The transmission range is related to altitude. With my previous drone, I found that if I flew higher, I got the signal back. The principle is the same for the E2.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58