Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Can I unCancel a recreational registration?

LeoJR

Reaction score
Purchaser of my Mavic 2 P had me cancel my FAA registration as he was convinced it was somehow tied to the craft. Can I get that number re assigned to me? I didn't find anything on the website and the phone number steers me back to the website.

Thanks!

Purchaser of my Mavic 2 P had me cancel my FAA registration as he was convinced it was somehow tied to the craft. Can I get that number re assigned to me? I didn't find anything on the website and the phone number steers me back to the website.

Thanks!
Nope, you would have to re-register and will receive a new registration number, and have to pay $5 again.

@LeoJR It would depend on if you had it registered for recreation or commercial use. For recreation, it does not need to be "unregistered" because you are not providing personal information or specific aircraft details.

Commercially, you do/did provide specific information about the aircraft (serial number, make, model).

Here's a short read:

Nope, you would have to re-register and will receive a new registration number, and have to pay $5 again.
Thanks, that is what I suspected. I wasn't going to let a $5 task stop a $1,500 sale but it was unnecessary for me to have canceled it.

For recreational, the FAA registration number is tied to you, the person, and you can have multiple aircraft that you own using the same registration number. You should have been able to keep the registration number and have the other person register it with their own number. Otoh, canceling, creating a new registration number for recreational is not a bad move in case other person does not register what you sold them. For $5 for 3 years for as many aircraft as you have (recreational) not a bad precaution. Also keep a hard copy of your registration in your aircraft bag, case, box.

Keep in mind things are different for 107, there it is a unique registration per aircraft, and, as of 4/21 hard copy proof of registration is also required to be with you when flying. Plus, if a LEO/NTSB/TSA/FAA person asks to see your aircraft registration, plus 107 cert and picture ID, they hopefully all line up.

For recreational, the FAA registration number is tied to you, the person, and you can have multiple aircraft that you own using the same registration number. You should have been able to keep the registration number and have the other person register it with their own number. Otoh, canceling, creating a new registration number for recreational is not a bad move in case other person does not register what you sold them. For $5 for 3 years for as many aircraft as you have (recreational) not a bad precaution. Also keep a hard copy of your registration in your aircraft bag, case, box.

Keep in mind things are different for 107, there it is a unique registration per aircraft, and, as of 4/21 hard copy proof of registration is also required to be with you when flying. Plus, if a LEO/NTSB/TSA/FAA person asks to see your aircraft registration, plus 107 cert and picture ID, they hopefully all line up.
not sure I understand this: "canceling, creating a new registration number...in case other person does not register what you sold them." as a recreational pilot, why would you care what they do after you peel off your sticker and transfer ownership of the drone to them?

not sure I understand this: "canceling, creating a new registration number...in case other person does not register what you sold them." as a recreational pilot, why would you care what they do after you peel off your sticker and transfer ownership of the drone to them?
Simple, if the op is recreational and canceled reg for the aircraft per buyers request then op needs to do new reg for self.

For recreational reg is not tied to aircraft, it's tied to person.

Concur that if the sticker or however marked were removed from aircraft, it's a non issue for the seller (unless seller cancels reg).

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58