Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Camera reset tip.

jcommstudios

Reaction score
Website
jcommstudios.com
If you have done a bunch of the firmware updates and your camera looks a bit soft you can do the following and it straitens everything out.
To reset your camera settings:
  1. In the bottom right hand corner of your camera view, tap the Camera & Wrench icon
  2. The fourth to last option in the new menu should be "Reset Camera"
  3. Tap "Reset Camera"
I was starting to get bummed out that my video was looking soft. This did the trick! Everything defaults to the new firmware parameters and it is sharp as a tack! If you can, keep the mode as an .mov file if you convert to 1080p30 from 4Kp60 to your preferred format for editing. The .mov wrapper is way more robust.

Easier to convert you mean? Is it good on Windows too?
@YuKay Yes it is good on Windows too. By robust I mean a higher data rate with more color information. I had changed to h264 on the EVO and found when I used my conversion software (Brorsoft) to convert 4Kp60 fps at 101 mbps to 1080p30 fps mpeg2 for the edit in Adobe Premiere, even though I would set the data rate to "target bitrate same as original", it was encoding at somewhere around 29.181mbps total bitrate when encoded from h264. With the conversion of the .mov file I am getting around 89.484kmbps total bitrate. Much closer to the original bitrate of 100mbps and the image is better and easier to color grade. And yes this is on a windows machine.

Reactions: YuKay
Out of interest, I used just the Quicktime player on my Mac to export a couple of freshly filmed clips - one mp4/h265, the other mov/h265.

In both cases, the resulting file size was 80% smaller than the clips from the camera. The mp4 shrunk from 873 to 175MB while the mov went from 361 down to 73MB.

There was zero discernible visual difference between the large and small variants so I assume that there must be a heavy weight of metadata with the EVO video files which Quicktime strips out.

Out of interest, I used just the Quicktime player on my Mac to export a couple of freshly filmed clips - one mp4/h265, the other mov/h265.

In both cases, the resulting file size was 80% smaller than the clips from the camera. The mp4 shrunk from 873 to 175MB while the mov went from 361 down to 73MB.

There was zero discernible visual difference between the large and small variants so I assume that there must be a heavy weight of metadata with the EVO video files which Quicktime strips out.
@YuKay What format did you encode to? I think if you were to use something other than Quicktime the results would be different. When I convert to mpeg2 the file size is around 50% of the original file size. Mpeg2 is known to be a heavily compressed format but is what my edit system prefers. My concern is data rate which allows more control over color correction.

No visible changes to film format or compression. My 4k 30fps h265 files were exported as the same - as indicated here.

This is the standard Quicktime player which doesn't offer any such configurable options anyway. The upgrade to QuickTime Pro does but I generally use Apple Compressor so don't need QT Pro.

But what Quicktime player does do - without invitation - is reduce the bitrate from peak 100kbps to the Apple device "standard" of peak 30kbps.…which is obviously not ideal if you need to do further editing/processing.

That apart, the two videos are of identical pixel quality and have identical playback characteristics on my iMac. So, for anyone needing to rescue gigabytes of disk space, there may be scope to re-save some old files.

No visible changes to film format or compression. My 4k 30fps h265 files were exported as the same - as indicated here.

This is the standard Quicktime player which doesn't offer any such configurable options anyway. The upgrade to QuickTime Pro does but I generally use Apple Compressor so don't need QT Pro.

But what Quicktime player does do - without invitation - is reduce the bitrate from peak 100kbps to the Apple device "standard" of peak 30kbps.…which is obviously not ideal if you need to do further editing/processing.

That apart, the two videos are of identical pixel quality and have identical playback characteristics on my iMac. So, for anyone needing to rescue gigabytes of disk space, there may be scope to re-save some old files.
@YuKay I have edited with windows machines for 20+ years after becoming a beta tester for Miro products who became Pinnacle and then was purchased by AVID. We built fast PC's with SCSI control to be able to do it. Basically emulating the macs of the day. I back up my 4K files from all of my cameras and drones at full resolution and data rate. It is an advantage I offer my clients so the video they shoot will be available in 4K when we get there as the norm. For the hobbyist the decreased data rate and file size would be a plus as you wouldn't need as much storage space. Here is a look at my current edit bay. I am about to upgrade the system to do full 4K throughput.

Attachments

• DSCN4761B_WEB.jpg
    DSCN4761B_WEB.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
Reactions: YuKay
That's quite a rig Jim - and loving your control deck. I'm a lifelong Mac evangelist who has never used a Windows machine…but I have coveted some sexy workstations over the years. Trouble is, once you're invested in all the software, it's a huge step to switch horses, so I'm pleased Apple didn't go bust when it was likely they would.

SCSI brings back memories - not all of them good! And to think what I can now do from an internal 4TB SSD drive. And that it's been six years since my last forced reboot.

Where will it all end? Cloud editing now allows TV and film editors to work from their bed.

Reactions: jcommstudios
That's quite a rig Jim - and loving your control deck. I'm a lifelong Mac evangelist who has never used a Windows machine…but I have coveted some sexy workstations over the years. Trouble is, once you're invested in all the software, it's a huge step to switch horses, so I'm pleased Apple didn't go bust when it was likely they would.

SCSI brings back memories - not all of them good! And to think what I can now do from an internal 4TB SSD drive. And that it's been six years since my last forced reboot.

Where will it all end? Cloud editing now allows TV and film editors to work from their bed.
@YuKay there was a short minute when Adobe decided to not continue to offer Premiere for Mac. I was a bit smug that I was on a PC and still had access to the software. They eventually caved and offered the Mac version. My first 4 gig drive cost $1,600! I was the guy with the huge drives! lol Don't know where it will end up but I sure don't want to edit from bed! I also don't use "the cloud" for other than moving files to others etc. I prefer to know I have my files in hand!
The deck is rarely used anymore. It is for a JVC camera that I shot with when HD first arrived on the scene. Still a great camera with a 16x1 Fuginon lens. It is just easier to offload cards than to use it and capture real-time. Quite the progression in the industry since I began producing long ago!

Last edited:
I'm still converting my mountain of dusty VHS video tapes to digital. It's taken me five years so far - when I have nothing more pressing to do. Trouble is, by the time I finish, there will be another seismic workflow shift and I'll have to start over.

Like when I learned how to burn video to cross-platform DVD only for Apple then to drop its integral DVD player.

And you should see my collection of floppy disks… Back then, I could fit a day's work on one floppy.

It was Adobe's threat to stop Premiere Mac development which forced Apple into FCP (and iMovie).

If you can, keep the mode as an .mov file if you convert to 1080p30 from 4Kp60 to your preferred format for editing. The .mov wrapper is way more robust.
Sorry, but you guys are way over my head here and I don't follow all this conversion stuff. I just want to get some decent video without a lot of "editing" or color correcting. So far, I am not so happy.

I made a short video in 4k @ 60fps MP4 H.265 with auto settings through a neutral density circular polarizing filter and the results are less than stellar. Played back using Windows Media Player, the images seemed washed out and slightly jerky as I tried to yaw 360° as smoothly as I could just to see the effect of the polarizing filter looking from west to east. When I looked at the clip with VLC player, I found the color to be much better (imho) but overall darker. I think that optimal would be some where in between what these two players showed. However, VLC seemed to be unable to properly decode the video, producing a gray screen with artifacts punctuated by occasional two to five second intervals of actual footage!!!

I do not know where the problem lies much less what needs correcting. The jerkiness of the WMP might be caused by inadequate hardware but, I doubt it. I am running Win 10 Pro on a Dell XPS-8500 with an Intel(R) Core ¡7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz with 12.0 GB RAM.

I captured screen shots comparing the images from each player looking east and west at the same time intervals. (often the captures from WMP were short on scan lines so many tries were needed to get the full frame)

What am I doing wrong here? Am I using the wrong software? Why is VLC having such problems with video and yet the images that are there seem much better? Where do I go from here? I tried disabling hardware decoding for VLC but the behavior did not change. I read elsewhere, here I think, that H.265 was preferred for its higher compression and higher bitrate (that is why I used it) but maybe H.264 is needed for VLC? Yes, it seems to so.

I just found: "VLC Media Player is only compatible with MPEG-4 ASP, DivX 4/5/6, XviD, 3ivX D4 and H.264 / MPEG-4 AVC. If your an MP4 file contains a VLC unsupported audio or video codec, it can't be recognized by VLC. So the MP4 file can not be played in VLC smoothly."

(How to Solve VLC Won't Play MP4 files?)

So now, I suppose the question is: which player should I target with the camera settings on the EVO? I can't use the preferred H.265 with VLC. I just can't get over how different the images are on there players. I cannot even guess what adjustments could possibly make the WMP video look better.

Any suggestions?
VLC011_0051.pngVLC011_0132.pngVLC011_0221.pngWMP011_0051.pngWMP011_0132.pngWMP011_0221.png

Leon, I know almost nothing about Windows but I assume your rig can play 4k60fps video (most can't). But if you can view Youtube videos at 4k60 then your rig is OK.

Windows was late to the H265 (also referred to as HEVC) party so you need to check that you have the necessary codec installed. If not, you can add it. Go here.

First, see if this 4k60 H265 video plays properly for you. (Click the cog to select 4k and then view in full screen - it may take a few seconds to settle down and play smoothly.) If it does, then your rig and codecs are fine.

As an aside, I know there have been some NVIDIA issues with H265 so maybe the first thing to check is your driver settings and make sure the Gamma is set to full range and not "limited".

If none of the above fixes it, maybe Jim will know the answer.

Leon, I know almost nothing about Windows but I assume your rig can play 4k60fps video (most can't)
Thanks, YuKay, you have given me some great places to check. I really don't know if my "rig" supports 4k@60, I thought that it was the job of the player, to make a vedio work on whatever system and I thought that 4k@60 wasjust the highest resolution and speed at which videos can be captured. I do have a NVIDIA card so I'll check to see that it's drivers are up to date.

Sorry, but you guys are way over my head here and I don't follow all this conversion stuff. I just want to get some decent video without a lot of "editing" or color correcting. So far, I am not so happy.

I made a short video in 4k @ 60fps MP4 H.265 with auto settings through a neutral density circular polarizing filter and the results are less than stellar. Played back using Windows Media Player, the images seemed washed out and slightly jerky as I tried to yaw 360° as smoothly as I could just to see the effect of the polarizing filter looking from west to east. When I looked at the clip with VLC player, I found the color to be much better (imho) but overall darker. I think that optimal would be some where in between what these two players showed. However, VLC seemed to be unable to properly decode the video, producing a gray screen with artifacts punctuated by occasional two to five second intervals of actual footage!!!

I do not know where the problem lies much less what needs correcting. The jerkiness of the WMP might be caused by inadequate hardware but, I doubt it. I am running Win 10 Pro on a Dell XPS-8500 with an Intel(R) Core ¡7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz with 12.0 GB RAM.

I captured screen shots comparing the images from each player looking east and west at the same time intervals. (often the captures from WMP were short on scan lines so many tries were needed to get the full frame)

What am I doing wrong here? Am I using the wrong software? Why is VLC having such problems with video and yet the images that are there seem much better? Where do I go from here? I tried disabling hardware decoding for VLC but the behavior did not change. I read elsewhere, here I think, that H.265 was preferred for its higher compression and higher bitrate (that is why I used it) but maybe H.264 is needed for VLC? Yes, it seems to so.

I just found: "VLC Media Player is only compatible with MPEG-4 ASP, DivX 4/5/6, XviD, 3ivX D4 and H.264 / MPEG-4 AVC. If your an MP4 file contains a VLC unsupported audio or video codec, it can't be recognized by VLC. So the MP4 file can not be played in VLC smoothly."

(How to Solve VLC Won't Play MP4 files?)

So now, I suppose the question is: which player should I target with the camera settings on the EVO? I can't use the preferred H.265 with VLC. I just can't get over how different the images are on there players. I cannot even guess what adjustments could possibly make the WMP video look better.

Any suggestions?
View attachment 3132View attachment 3133View attachment 3134View attachment 3135View attachment 3136View attachment 3137
@Leon N Gauthier ... Leon if you are not going to edit or process your videos I would suggest shooting in 1080p30 as h264 not h265. 60 fps allows for smooth slow motion but is not a good delivery rate as the web like 30fps for smooth playback. h265 is basically a new codec that only thouse who do post production would want because of the higher amount of data and color info. I hope this helps and good luck! The EVO is a great drone!

Thanks, YuKay, you have given me some great places to check. I really don't know if my "rig" supports 4k@60, I thought that it was the job of the player, to make a vedio work on whatever system and I thought that 4k@60 wasjust the highest resolution and speed at which videos can be captured. I do have a NVIDIA card so I'll check to see that it's drivers are up to date.
Nope - you need the right hardware and I don't have a clue about Windows PC specs. Try filming a 1080p video at 30fps and if that plays OK then the 4k problem may be your hardware.

YuKay, what does "plays properly" mean in connection with that link to Vemo? I assume that this means without interruption during playback. The videos seemed play correctly after downloading. One (YI 4k+ FDR-X3000) was very interesting, seeming to be comparing YI 4k+ with FDR-X3000 and I liked the FDR X-3000 better myself.

However, your other link indicated that Microsoft's codex update would nor work on my NVIDIA GeForce GT640 graphics card:

"Before beginning, please take a note that this codec will enable streaming of 4K and UHD video streams. Also, this codec only supports the compatible hardware. This includes Intel’s 7th Generation of Processors and some modern Graphics Processing Units or GPUs.

This list includes the following :
Kaby Lake, Kaby Lake Refresh and Coffee Lake, and GPUs like AMD’s RX 400, RX 500 and RX Vega 56/64, and NVIDIA’s GeForce GTX 1000 and GTX 950 and 960 series."

Later, I discovered this:

"All GeForce GTX 600 and 700 series GPUs can support 4K resolutions through DisplayPort. The NVIDIA driver automatically detects 4K 60Hz tiled format, so no special user set up is required. In order to power games at this resolution with settings turned up NVIDIA recommends GTX 780 SLI or better."

Bottom line: I am not sure that my rig supports 4k but, it seems to.

Anyway, I will try jcommstudios' suggestion to use 1080p@30fps just to see what the results look like in VLC and WMP. Again. I don't understand why the WMP looks sooo bad.

Thanks, guys. I really do appreciate anyone willing to listen to my confusion and still be willing to make suggestions.

I must be going out of my mind! I got to thinking... if my rig is not 4k capable, how the heck is WMP able to play my 4k video, all be it poorly. So I Googled "does Windows Media Player support 4k" and found many entries claiming that WMP cannot play 4f videos. Somewhere it was suggested to run Troubleshooter on WMP and see if it found any problems. To my surprise, it suggested that some settings might be wrong and offered to fix them. Of course I accepted … nothing to loose I thought.

To my complete and utter amazement, WMP played my 4k video with the colors I so admired in VLC!!! I do not know just what settings were changed or even if it will work tomorrow but I am putting this to bed for now.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials