Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Camera issues - Lite +

surenmunoo

Reaction score
So I am on my 3rd Lite + with the previous 2 being sent back for what I thought was camera problems BUT it seems that this is a poor design by Autel. If you fly in sports mode and tilt the camera up you get Gimbal error and very bad vibrations from the camera, also get very bad props in the shots at 0 degrees ( camera centred) If you leave the drone stationery, and shoot a TimeLapse/HyperLapse, the camera will shake with every shot. Trying to fix this in post helps a little but not much as it makes that footage unusable. The Sky app, does not record every flight you do and some flight show that you were at a different location. While recording, you cannot enter the menu function, I have seen some YouTube videos where guys do that- so why can't I?

I have got the 3rd drone from a different dealer but the common factor was that they all got it from Autel Pilots. Now I am unsure if these from AP have issues or is it just me(bad luck). If anyone else has the Lite+ from Autel Pilot can they try what I have complained about above and post their results back so we can compare please.

Yep, the gimbal keeps moving on one axis (left-right) while stationary, you can see this while it's landed, and it does the same while flying, moves left and right a little bit (less than one degree) so it limits hyperlapse and long range exposures. You can do 1/2 or 1" exposures, but more time that lateral oscillation will be noticeable. For example DJI drones like Mini 2 or Air 2S don't do that, if you leave the drone on the ground the gimbal keeps steady. That being said even if the gimbal worked well, you still need some kind of software postproduction stabilization/image correction to render a perfect Hyperlapse, I'd recommend LRTimelapse, works excellent. Of course, the better and more steady and uniform the source material, the better the results.

Same for the upwards gimbal problem, they should limit the gimbal upwards movement to -20º or -25º instead of -30º, now it reaches the hardware limit and shakes. Props in the shot are less common than in DJI Air 2S, but can happen from time to time, specially if there's wind.

I recalibrated the gimbal 2 times and keeps doing the same, these issues are software issues, in my opinion new units will do the same.

We must point these issues and others we find, or it will never be corrected, Autel doesn't have such a huge user community like DJI, so there are less "testers" available.

PS: I purchased my 2 units form Auteldirect on Amazon, the first one had the gimbal dead/update issue, this second one is working fine for the moment, both came sealed and didn't notice any strange on the packaging.

Look closely at the gimbal isolation mounts. The ones used on nano are loop type and sticky. Push on the gimbal or wind pushing it an stick! Almost like hard mount at that point.

Pretty sure the Lite+ has heavy duty mounts, but worth a good look.

Reactions: surenmunoo
It's such a frustrating time if you happen to be in the market for a new quality drone. Both the current front runners seem to be dogged with issues. Can I ask you a question. I know Suren I have touched on this before, but if all else was good with the drones and it was only the quality of the camera optics that you were concerned about (with the aim of taking stills) out of the Mavic 3 and Lite+ which is going to win? I can't get over the clarity of the Lite+ footage I have been seeing. Many thanks Andrew

Yep, the gimbal keeps moving on one axis (left-right) while stationary, you can see this while it's landed, and it does the same while flying, moves left and right a little bit (less than one degree) so it limits hyperlapse and long range exposures. You can do 1/2 or 1" exposures, but more time that lateral oscillation will be noticeable. For example DJI drones like Mini 2 or Air 2S don't do that, if you leave the drone on the ground the gimbal keeps steady. That being said even if the gimbal worked well, you still need some kind of software postproduction stabilization/image correction to render a perfect Hyperlapse, I'd recommend LRTimelapse, works excellent. Of course, the better and more steady and uniform the source material, the better the results.

Same for the upwards gimbal problem, they should limit the gimbal upwards movement to -20º or -25º instead of -30º, now it reaches the hardware limit and shakes. Props in the shot are less common than in DJI Air 2S, but can happen from time to time, specially if there's wind.

I recalibrated the gimbal 2 times and keeps doing the same, these issues are software issues, in my opinion new units will do the same.

We must point these issues and others we find, or it will never be corrected, Autel doesn't have such a huge user community like DJI, so there are less "testers" available.

PS: I purchased my 2 units form Auteldirect on Amazon, the first one had the gimbal dead/update issue, this second one is working fine for the moment, both came sealed and didn't notice any strange on the packaging.
Did you report this to Autel as well? I did and they asked for the video showing it. The more reports that go in the better.

Reactions: DARKSeifer
Look closely at the gimbal isolation mounts. The ones used on nano are loop type and sticky. Push on the gimbal or wind pushing it an stick! Almost like hard mount at that point.

Pretty sure the Lite+ has heavy duty mounts, but worth a good look.

Yep, Lite+ have another desgin, not the sticky ones.
It's such a frustrating time if you happen to be in the market for a new quality drone. Both the current front runners seem to be dogged with issues. Can I ask you a question. I know Suren I have touched on this before, but if all else was good with the drones and it was only the quality of the camera optics that you were concerned about (with the aim of taking stills) out of the Mavic 3 and Lite+ which is going to win? I can't get over the clarity of the Lite+ footage I have been seeing. Many thanks Andrew

I compared similar DNGs of my previous Air2S and the Lite+ on RawDigger, and Lite+ image is sharp all over the place, while 2S is soft on the edges and a bit less sharper than the Lite + on the rest.

I've downloaded some DNGs from dpreview of the Mavic 3, opened in RawDigger and the first thing you see is that the image circle of the lens doesn't cover the entire sensor, you have pitch black vignetting that is corrected by the embedded lens profile on the DNG, also, image doesn't seem specially sharp to me and like the 2S, is soft on the edges. Some people also report magenta and green dominants in the image due to poor optics that also are corrected by the embedded lens profile.

1644538735384.png

Bigger sensor on the Mavic 3 may deliver less noise at same ISO but anyways, all of this should be tested on a controlled environment and do some MTFs and DR tests.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rubik3x and Bussty
Honestly- The Mavic 3 would be my go to drone but with Dji playing God and causing all these GPS issues I fly the Lite much more and the M3 just sits in the bag with its battery auto discharging. For camera quality/optics I would also say the Mavic 3 has you can do more editing on those stills especially with the DLOG 10 bit profile. The Lite has only an 8 bit colour profile with no DLOG so M3 wins there.

Honestly- The Mavic 3 would be my go to drone but with Dji playing God and causing all these GPS issues I fly the Lite much more and the M3 just sits in the bag with its battery auto discharging. For camera quality/optics I would also say the Mavic 3 has you can do more editing on those stills especially with the DLOG 10 bit profile. The Lite has only an 8 bit colour profile with no DLOG so M3 wins there.

According to CaptainDrone it's coming soon, 12 bit for DNGs and LOG for video (although 8 bit only).

1644540212363.png

Yep, Lite+ have another desgin, not the sticky ones.

I compared similar DNGs of my previous Air2S and the Lite+ on RawDigger, and Lite+ image is sharp all over the place, while 2S is soft on the edges and a bit less sharper than the Lite + on the rest.

I've downloaded some DNGs from dpreview of the Mavic 3, opened in RawDigger and the first thing you see is that the image circle of the lens doesn't cover the entire sensor, you have pitch black vignetting that is corrected by the embedded lens profile on the DNG, also, image doesn't seem specially sharp to me and like the 2S, is soft on the edges. Some people also report magenta and green dominants in the image due to poor optics that also are corrected by the embedded lens profile.

View attachment 13113

Bigger sensor on the Mavic 3 may deliver less noise at same ISO but anyways, all of this should be tested on a controlled environment and do some MTFs and DR tests.
This supports the "feeling" I get when looking at Lite+ footage online that the lens on the Lite+ is a higher quality than the M3 which is incredible given the price difference! Lite+ hasn't been out long enough for many to own one so looking forward to comparative reviews when they do.

Yep, the gimbal keeps moving on one axis (left-right) while stationary, you can see this while it's landed, and it does the same while flying, moves left and right a little bit
Yes. I am having this issue on my new Lite + as well. The E2P that I had did this out of the box as well. It eventually got fixed with a FW update after awhile. Trying to get through to Autel Customer Service has been impossible to report the issue so it can be fixed in a future FW update. Also, the EV in manual mode is not functioning and at the moment there is no histogram either. Other that these issues, the Lite + has been such a better experience than the E2P lemon/experience I had.

Reactions: Starfire
It seems that every drone behaves differently.
Mine is fine except that the RTH could have something wrong. It did turn around and return, for a few seconds only, then stop moving horizontally and start to descend. RTH is very important when the connection is lost. will have to test it again.

Mine is fine except that the RTH could have something wrong. It did turn around and return, for a few seconds only, then stop moving horizontally and start to descend. RTH is very important when the connection is lost. will have to test it again.
Does Autel have that dumb DJI rule where if the drone is 20m from you when you hit RTH it just lands?? I have never understood that. What if you have a drone malfunction and you are on a wharf and your drone is 10m away over the lake/sea?

RTH is working fine for me, at least at long range, both RTH due to low battery RTH to disconnection and on RTH on demand by pressing the button.

Does Autel have that dumb DJI rule where if the drone is 20m from you when you hit RTH it just lands?? I have never understood that. What if you have a drone malfunction and you are on a wharf and your drone is 10m away over the lake/sea?

According to the manual is 10 meters on Autel.

Reactions: Bussty and gophcc
RTH is working fine for me, at least at long range, both RTH due to low battery RTH to disconnection and on RTH on demand by pressing the button.

According to the manual is 10 meters on Autel.
I'll have to remember that if I buy the Lite+!

Yes. I am having this issue on my new Lite + as well. The E2P that I had did this out of the box as well. It eventually got fixed with a FW update after awhile. Trying to get through to Autel Customer Service has been impossible to report the issue so it can be fixed in a future FW update. Also, the EV in manual mode is not functioning and at the moment there is no histogram either. Other that these issues, the Lite + has been such a better experience than the E2P lemon/experience I had.
Its an amazing drone, they just need to fix the camera problem and we good to go. I emailed them on this email : Nicole Zhang <[email protected]>

Reactions: Cicero24
I had that exact same issue on the 1st Lite+ I bought, it just refused to work on RTH. Would come forward then just stop like something was in its way, had to turn off the OA for it to work. Returned it and the next one had camera issues :rolleyes:

• Sad
Reactions: gophcc

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy