Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Camera cover on the EVO

swings16

Reaction score
Is it just me or does anyone else have a problem with the poorly designed White Plastic Camera cover that DOES NOT WORK PROPERLY...poorly designed and a nightmare trying to use it..anyone else ?

Is it just me or does anyone else have a problem with the poorly designed White Plastic Camera cover that DOES NOT WORK PROPERLY...poorly designed and a nightmare trying to use it..anyone else ?
Everyone struggles when you first get the drone. I find it easiest to flip EVO upside down so the camera points forward instead of down. Then attach side closest to camera barrel first and then the other side clicks in more easily. After a few times it becomes second nature and goes on fairly easily. To take off press in on the side closest to the camera barrel first to unhinge then the other side can be done more easily.

Reactions: Rad319 and ebphoto
I think the secret is to as Heckmaniac's says above, to flip upside down then attach one side first then the other and push forward towards the front of the craft gently, it will snap into place.

Everyone struggles when you first get the drone. I find it easiest to flip EVO upside down so the camera points forward instead of down. Then attach side closest to camera barrel first and then the other side clicks in more easily. After a few times it becomes second nature and goes on fairly easily. To take off press in on the side closest to the camera barrel first to unhinge then the other side can be done more easily.
Thanks BUT i have tried the way you described...i have found the solution..i have a rubber band that i use to secure the camera mechanism...It is hit and miss with trying to lock it in as is...IF i get lucky and it happens to click in correctly i am a happy man...sadly this is a design flaw ...it SHOULD click in easily without a problem...no excuses for this situation

Thanks BUT i have tried the way you described...i have found the solution..i have a rubber band that i use to secure the camera mechanism...It is hit and miss with trying to lock it in as is...IF i get lucky and it happens to click in correctly i am a happy man...sadly this is a design flaw ...it SHOULD click in easily without a problem...no excuses for this situation
Fortunately I don't have your same issues with it anymore. Again I think is just practice that will get you past this, but if you come up with an alternate design, you might find some interested readers to share that with - good luck and happy flying.

Reactions: Rad319
Thanks fellas...will try as suggested...BUT,Honestly...do you think that it could be improved ?
as in...CLICK...Locked in !

Not happy with it either. And as a beginner I launched a few times with the protector on. Would be nice to have an interlock/sensor to prevent that. Or have a display on monitor "remove protector, stupid"

Tags have been around for ever and ever for us old guys that have trouble remembering things. Also a little check list before flight can help.
Remove camera guard Check

Here in Canada you are required to follow your Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and that is one of the items I have on mine. Remove gimble guard

I don't struggle with anything other than the camera lock and i have been flying for a few years.The design of the camera lock is poor and i am not the only one who has problems with that lock.It also pops open after being "secured"

I don't struggle with anything other than the camera lock and i have been flying for a few years.The design of the camera lock is poor and i am not the only one who has problems with that lock.It also pops open after being "secured"
Your getting a bit too literal with my comment and advice. I was replying in reference to your gimble cover issue only. Not sure what your hoping to accomplish by making a big deal about an issue with a plastic gimble cover (we can all agree wasn't the best design). Obviously you and some others still struggle with this, while others of us figured out some ways to minimize the difficulty and tried sharing (take it or leave it). Autel is not going to redesign it, at least for this model (waste of their time). I can think of many other things I'd personally prefer they focus on improving or at least include in the EVO 1 as they develop for the EVO 2. If this is your biggest issue with the EVO, then I'd say you/we picked a great drone.

Reactions: Rad319
Your getting a bit too literal with my comment and advice. I was replying in reference to your gimble cover issue only. Not sure what your hoping to accomplish by making a big deal about an issue with a plastic gimble cover (we can all agree wasn't the best design). Obviously you and some others still struggle with this, while others of us figured out some ways to minimize the difficulty and tried sharing (take it or leave it). Autel is not going to redesign it, at least for this model (waste of their time). I can think of many other things I'd personally prefer they focus on improving or at least include in the EVO 1 as they develop for the EVO 2. If this is your biggest issue with the EVO, then I'd say you/we picked a great drone.
I hear you...the issue i have is the fragile camera flopping around...the most delicate part of the EVO bouncing around when the clamp fails...it is what it is and i work around the problem...i use a RUBBER BAND to secure the Cam assembly and the EVO is a Great drone in every way....never a problem during the past few years...EVERYTHING works beautifully...i have been flying it hard for quite a while and it stands up to all i hit it with..after my first few weeks of of owning and FLYING the EVO...i Bought another...still sitting in the box waiting..IF NEEDED

I hear you...the issue i have is the fragile camera flopping around...the most delicate part of the EVO bouncing around when the clamp fails...it is what it is and i work around the problem...i use a RUBBER BAND to secure the Cam assembly and the EVO is a Great drone in every way....never a problem during the past few years...EVERYTHING works beautifully...i have been flying it hard for quite a while and it stands up to all i hit it with..after my first few weeks of of owning and FLYING the EVO...i Bought another...still sitting in the box waiting..IF NEEDED
Wow - good for you on having a second EVO. Hoping to someday get the EVO 2 6K 1" sensor. Still a big enough ticket item that it'll likely be a year before I can justify adding a second. What i really would love to see are some 3rd party vendors developing accessories and apps like Litche or Drone Harmony - then the EVO might have a bunch of add ons, including multiple gimble cover choices (lol). Just too small a community at the moment to draw them in. Hopefully EVO 2 can grow the brand enough to change that.

Reactions: swings16
I love to fly the Evo to the absolute max UP...All the way till it looks like a speck...THEN bring it back down full throttle pulling UP at the very last second...i give it a beating every time i fly...it takes all i can give it and doesn't flinch...Fantastic machine

Anyone good with 3D printing? I think if someone designs another camera cover and shares it as a 3D printable file that would be great. I could do it, but my time is taken up right now.

I have a 3D printer and will see. The MP and MPz are just as goofy and I found an alternate that works great with the MPz so perhaps it will work with the EVO - I will let you know

I have a 3D printer and will see. The MP and MPz are just as goofy and I found an alternate that works great with the MPz so perhaps it will work with the EVO - I will let you know
Cool. Thanks!

I took my camera cover off and can not get it back on. I just have to be very careful replacing it back in the case. I do wish it was a better fit.

I took my camera cover off and can not get it back on. I just have to be very careful replacing it back in the case. I do wish it was a better fit.
i have stopped trying to f with it...i use a rubber band to secure the camera...it doesn't snap in place but it does protect the camera well

It's fairly simple. First put where the lens is under the notch, then slightly squeeze both sides and put the left or right notch under the groove and put the other end in the groove and release your hand and it will perfectly sit on it. It takes a little practice but, you will get the idea. Some folks force things in place and break things.

Reactions: Rad319 and swings16

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hakles