Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Better to point antennas down?

easyheimer

Reaction score
So I keep hearing on several YouTube videos that pointing the antennas down instead of up give you better range / signal. Is there any truth to this?

Thank you!

Reactions: Paulf10
Yes. The reason being that with the phone holder in the way, the antennas can't reach the perfect angle to send and receive signal if pointing upwards.
Just to point out that I fly always with the controller only without any phone or tablet and the antennas up instead of down and never had issues losing signal. I may try next time with the antennas down to see the outcome.

Just to point out that I fly always with the controller only without any phone or tablet and the antennas up instead of down and never had issues losing signal. I may try next time with the antennas down to see the outcome.

Ok great. Keep us updated please!

I have two antenna modes... antennas level with the ground when I am planning to fly mostly overhead, and antennas -vertical- when planning to fly closer to the horizon. I also mount my tablet below the RC where it doesn't block the antennas.

20190813_131206.jpg

I flew last week with the antennas down and didn't really noticed any improvement over flying with the antennas up... I am probably need to test it again.
You will not find and improvement, because you dont have a cellphone on your controller. The object blocking and using cell signal is what degrades the connection with the drone. Pointing the antennas down and putting distance from your mobile device will improve signal and allow you to place them in a better angle.

You will not find and improvement, because you dont have a cellphone on your controller. The object blocking and using cell signal is what degrades the connection with the drone. Pointing the antennas down and putting distance from your mobile device will improve signal and allow you to place them in a better angle.
Oh didn't know that... Thanks bro for that information!

Pointing them down also almost guarantees breaking the antennas when you need to set the controller down for whatever reason. Be careful!

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials