Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Better balance for an Ipad

rkyleh

Reaction score
I use a Ipad mini on my controller and found it to be top heavy. This way gives it much better balance. I can push the Ipad up out of the way if I want to see anything on my controller. This works but I would not trust it. I am going to increase the size on the end of the bracket so I can have a lot more velcro holding the Ipad in place.

Attachments

• IMG_2216.JPG
    IMG_2216.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2219.JPG
    IMG_2219.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2220.JPG
    IMG_2220.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2221.JPG
    IMG_2221.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 35
Reactions: YuKay
I am trying to do the same thing but even an iPad mini is so much heavier than the RC so it's cumbersome and I will have to come up with a better plan. If my old eyes didn't need a large screen, life would be easier.

I was fearful that the adhesive on heavy duty Velcro might damage my iPad so I decided to try it with the iPad inside a $5 silicone protector cover which fits so snugly that it makes a strong enough base for the adhesive while keeping in contact with the iPad. I covered the lid with Velcro and, what can I say, it works but the RC clamp can't hold the weight of the iPad in my preferred position…which is why I am eyeing up your counterbalance method.

Since I haven't flown my EVO yet, I could find that the tin causes some interference, in which case I might use balsa wood instead, or even polystyrene.

Whether I can live with it, I don't know. I will need to pull it apart in order to use the iPad conventionally and I haven't risked that yet. And it is very ugly indeed.
EVO iPad-Mini bodge-03.jpgEVO iPad-Mini bodge-02.jpgEVO iPad-Mini bodge-01.jpg

I am trying to do the same thing but even an iPad mini is so much heavier than the RC so it's cumbersome and I will have to come up with a better plan. If my old eyes didn't need a large screen, life would be easier.

I was fearful that the adhesive on heavy duty Velcro might damage my iPad so I decided to try it with the iPad inside a $5 silicone protector cover which fits so snugly that it makes a strong enough base for the adhesive while keeping in contact with the iPad. I covered the lid with Velcro and, what can I say, it works but the RC clamp can't hold the weight of the iPad in my preferred position…which is why I am eyeing up your counterbalance method.

Since I haven't flown my EVO yet, I could find that the tin causes some interference, in which case I might use balsa wood instead, or even polystyrene.

Whether I can live with it, I don't know. I will need to pull it apart in order to use the iPad conventionally and I haven't risked that yet. And it is very ugly indeed.
View attachment 2817View attachment 2818View attachment 2819
I cut a thin piece of g10 I had on hand 13/4" x 2" and hot glued it to the top end of the phone bracket this gives me room for 2- 1" strips of velcro. I did the same for the back of the Ipad. Now with that much velcro it is very strong no chance of the Ipad coming loose. I pulled the first piece of velcro I had on the back of the Ipad of and it didn't hurt the finish at all. This is going to work much better for me I have arthritis and can't hold that awkward weight for very long.

Attachments

• IMG_2223.JPG
    IMG_2223.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 14
I cut a thin piece of g10 I had on hand 13/4" x 2" and hot glued it to the top end of the phone bracket this gives me room for 2- 1" strips of velcro. I did the same for the back of the Ipad. Now with that much velcro it is very strong no chance of the Ipad coming loose. I pulled the first piece of velcro I had on the back of the Ipad of and it didn't hurt the finish at all. This is going to work much better for me I have arthritis and can't hold that awkward weight for very long.
I'm not familiar with hot glue but assume it gives a secure connection notwithstanding the small surface area. And I guess it's there for good, even when you want to use the RC without your iPad? But doesn't the weight of the iPad still drag the clamp down to its lowest angle?

I'm not familiar with hot glue but assume it gives a secure connection notwithstanding the small surface area. And I guess it's there for good, even when you want to use the RC without your iPad? But doesn't the weight of the iPad still drag the clamp down to its lowest angle?

Hot melt glue from a glue gun is very strong it will hold that piece with out any problems. The phone holder holds the Ipad weight. When you hold the controller in your hand the weight of the Ipad is pushing down toward the top of the holder and not pulling down at an extreme angle although even then it seems to hold the weight as you can see in the pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_2221.JPG
    IMG_2221.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 16
Thanks - if I were going to use my iPad often, I would try to replicate your mount. Did the glue not melt the bracket?

I like the idea, except I don't feel comfortable not seeing the controller at will and the velcro when you push it out of the way ..... I din't thinkso, there has to be a better way, and I think a tray is going to have to be the way for me, I'd much rather have the controller and tablet on a tray tha allows a harness not unlike the one provided by DJI, I'm just saying, it gets so easy when you can actually take your hands off the controller. someone with a 3D printer should start working on one.:D

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RonalsBerigon310