Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

BestBuy Refurbished as New

Autelguy

Reaction score
This is my 3rd dance. I bought my first Evo a month ago.

I exchanged it for another one at the store due to a bad gimbal 2 weeks later.

The second one didn't have the gimbal cover attached and that one also had gimbal issues.

Back to the store again, this time 2 camera guys and a manager wanted to know why I was exchanging my Evo. I showed them the video and they all agreed that the gimbal was bad. The manager went to fetch a new box. I wanted them to open the box in the store this time to make sure that the Gimbal cover was on. He cut the black tamper seal, opened the box and inside was a used Evo!!

The props were scuffed and scratched. No protective film on Evo or controller. No white baggies on props.There were even finger prints on the OLED screen on the controller.

He handed me the box and I said you got to be kidding. This is a used Evo. He said that it was mine now and that because the original seal was on the box, he couldn't replace it.

We went around and around. I asked how he would like getting a used drone and agreed that it was a screwed situation but that there was nothing he could do.

After about 20 min and a call to Autel they finally decided to give me another one, the last one in stock. All BestBuys that sell Evos only have a max of two in stock at any one given time.

When he opened the last Evo they had, the manager said..."Wow, you weren't joking. I can cleary see the difference in the way a NEW one was packaged and what it should look like".

So what's going on is that Evos that are returned to the store are being shipped back to Autel. Autel then throws it back into a box with a new seal and sends them back to the store to be sold as new. Either that or Autel is supplying BB stores with boxes and seals.

Either way, that's not right. Both companies should not be selling used Evos as new.

Nevertheless, I got my 3rd Evo and am waiting for a decent day to fly.

Let's hope 3rd time is a charm.

Last edited:
Wow seems something is up with Autel or BestBuy or both. Seems some kind of shady back room deals are going on with Autel. Other posts lately on this forum were leaning towards the same thing but I thought it might be just a isolated case. Guess not. ?

Wondering if that's what happened to the Evo I purchased that came directly from Autel. Everything like new but one of the motor have light scratches everywhere. Like instead of a new product, they put in the box a refurbished.

Well done on standing your ground - which is what we should all do. And hopefully now everyone who buys from BB will insist on opening the box before leaving the premises.

It is disappointing to know that BB - and possibly others - are selling reconditioned EVOs as new. No doubt it is not uncommon across the consumer electronics sector but it's dishonest. I hope you will ask Autel to comment and report back.

BB's stock level is also disappointing but presumably they operate a just-in-time supply chain and put the burden of availability on the supplier's shoulders. But such a policy might partially explain why some refurbs are being shipped to them.

That was an interesting read. Guess my Evo was a reburb as well. Everything had protective film, except the drone. It had the infamous circle seal. My Evo was scratch free, so I just assumed they were cutting corners to save $. Meh, as long as it flies well, I'll survive this. ?

The second one didn't have the gimbal cover attached and that one also had gimbal issues.

Back to the store again, this time 2 camera guys and a manager wanted to know why I was exchanging my Evo. I showed them the video and they all agreed that the gimbal was bad. The manager went to fetch a new box. I wanted them to open the box in the store this time to make sure that the Gimbal cover was on. He cut the black tamper seal, opened the box and inside was a used Evo!!

The props were scuffed and scratched. No protective film on Evo or controller. No white baggies on props.There were even finger prints on the OLED screen on the controller.

He handed me the box and I said you got to be kidding. This is a used Evo. He said that it was mine now and that because the original seal was on the box, he couldn't replace it.

We went around and around. I asked how he would like getting a used drone and agreed that it was a screwed situation but that there was nothing he could do.

After about 20 min and a call to Autel they finally decided to give me another one, the last one in stock. All BestBuys that sell Evos only have a max of two in stock at any one given time.

When he opened the last Evo they had, the manager said..."Wow, you weren't joking. I can cleary see the difference in the way a NEW one was packaged and what it should look like".

So what's going on is that Evos that are returned to the store are being shipped back to Autel. Autel then throws it back into a box with a new seal and sends them back to the store to be sold as new. Either that or Autel is supplying BB stores with boxes and seals.

Either way, that's not right. Both companies should not be selling used Evos as new.

Stop hanging toy dinosaurs and go pros from your drone. :)

Yikes...Y'all got me thinking

I got my EVO in Dec. 2018 at Best Buy

Came with THREE batteries

I am sending it back to Autel...The controller never worked since day 1

I can go Up/Down/Sideways either way and it does NOTHING else..RTH./.Start/shut down...all not working

When i got it at BB i noticed that things looked a bit off

I think the plastic camera gizmo was ajar...a few other little things

Didn't think much of it..i was HAPPY..Great price/EXTRAS...carrying bags (quality) and extra props..the batteries

I lived with the faulty controller

The boxes WERE sealed..Both the EVO + The controller seemed to be sealed

I am in the process of getting authorized to send both back

This post about BB got me thinking

Another thing..There was a short vid on the Evo...guys here said it was Quality control doing their job right and now i am wondering

The Controller was a mess when i got it...The EVO has performed very well up until last Saturday when it went all wacky and i was in fear of losing an eye as it shot up and down repeatedly RIGHT NEXT TO ME and i was in fear...i kept applying the joy sticks (did not work) until i held them down and in for a few seconds and it shut down

What if i had a small child near me ?

We will see...i am awaiting authorization to send all back

When it flies well,it performs beautifully (except for the controller)...i am entitled for it perform Flawlessly

I also have a Mav Pro...LOVE it despite the inferior vid capability...Why the problems with Autel ?

my $ .02

i will keep you all posted

Thanks,

Martin...NYC

Yikes...Y'all got me thinking

I got my EVO in Dec. 2018 at Best Buy

Came with THREE batteries

I am sending it back to Autel...The controller never worked since day 1

I can go Up/Down/Sideways either way and it does NOTHING else..RTH./.Start/shut down...all not working

When i got it at BB i noticed that things looked a bit off

I think the plastic camera gizmo was ajar...a few other little things

Didn't think much of it..i was HAPPY..Great price/EXTRAS...carrying bags (quality) and extra props..the batteries

I lived with the faulty controller

The boxes WERE sealed..Both the EVO + The controller seemed to be sealed

I am in the process of getting authorized to send both back

This post about BB got me thinking

Another thing..There was a short vid on the Evo...guys here said it was Quality control doing their job right and now i am wondering

The Controller was a mess when i got it...The EVO has performed very well up until last Saturday when it went all wacky and i was in fear of losing an eye as it shot up and down repeatedly RIGHT NEXT TO ME and i was in fear...i kept applying the joy sticks (did not work) until i held them down and in for a few seconds and it shut down

What if i had a small child near me ?

We will see...i am awaiting authorization to send all back

When it flies well,it performs beautifully (except for the controller)...i am entitled for it perform Flawlessly

I also have a Mav Pro...LOVE it despite the inferior vid capability...Why the problems with Autel ?

my $ .02

Thanks,

Martin...NYC
Well, I believe it was me who said about the QC. My bad. Keep the faith. I'm sure Autel will right their wrong.

I noticed something interesting in BB today. I went about a month ago to a BB and I saw the drone isle completely empty. They had hardly any drone accesories and all the drones they had were DJI, that were in a cage. Today I went to the BB where I bought my Evo and noticed that they completely removed the drone isle. I don't know what to think.

The fishy is when you go buy at BB and they give you an xtra 100 dollars in credit on top of the EVO and the on the go bundle for 999.

Reactions: swings16
The fishy is when you go buy at BB and they give you an xtra 100 dollars in credit on top of the EVO and the on the go bundle for 999.

I was surprised and happy

AFTER i paid HEAVILY for my Mavic Pro

The deal was incredible...The carry bags/all the extras/batteries etc.

Hmmmm

WHAT THE ...?

Reactions: Madhungarian
I was surprised and happy

AFTER i paid HEAVILY for my Mavic Pro

The deal was incredible...The carry bags/all the extras/batteries etc.

Hmmmm

WHAT THE ...?
I ain't complaining. Refurb or new, as long as it works perfectly, then I'm happy. I used the $100 to get some ND filters for another drone and paid part of the taxes for a TV I bought. My Evo flies like a dream and all the batteries were working 100% perfectly. I simply have no reason to complain.

Reactions: Madhungarian
I ain't complaining. Refurb or new, as long as it works perfectly, then I'm happy. I used the $100 to get some ND filters for another drone and paid part of the taxes for a TV I bought. My Evo flies like a dream and all the batteries were working 100% perfectly. I simply have no reason to complain.

I did all the paperwork etc. for returning the Evo + Controller and i have a RA number and shipping info

I will get it in the mail tomorrow and hopefully in a week or so i will get a FULLY FUNCTIONAL bird and controller back

Ignorance IS bliss...i agree BUT IF that indeed happened (messing around at Best Buy) i am pissed

Why would anyone NOT be ?

If you paid for a NEW..(not refurbished or anything other than BRAND SPANKING NEW ) it is a crime

Hopefully they will make it right but,as it is with me...it will still piss me off

I am sure that if i get it back and it functions AS IT SHOULD ,i will forget all about it...BUT i will be on guard if i ever go in to buy ANYTHING at Best Buy

OK Marty...Breath in...OUT...repeat + calm the f down

Thanks...Marty

Reactions: Squerly and Ansia
I did all the paperwork etc. for returning the Evo + Controller and i have a RA number and shipping info

I will get it in the mail tomorrow and hopefully in a week or so i will get a FULLY FUNCTIONAL bird and controller back

Ignorance IS bliss...i agree BUT IF that indeed happened (messing around at Best Buy) i am pissed

Why would anyone NOT be ?

If you paid for a NEW..(not refurbished or anything other than BRAND SPANKING NEW ) it is a crime

Hopefully they will make it right but,as it is with me...it will still piss me off

I am sure that if i get it back and it functions AS IT SHOULD ,i will forget all about it...BUT i will be on guard if i ever go in to buy ANYTHING at Best Buy

OK Marty...Breath in...OUT...repeat + calm the f down

Thanks...Marty
I read somewhere that taking candy from children helps with the anger issues.

Thanks,

Martin...NYC

I'm very confused, how can the bird "perform beautifully" if the controller doesn't work? If your controller doesn't work your bird won't even start it's motors. Please shed some light on that statement.

A case of DJItis?

I'm very confused, how can the bird "perform beautifully" if the controller doesn't work? If your controller doesn't work your bird won't even start it's motors. Please shed some light on that statement.

I have mentioned several times while bitching about all of this that the controller does work...ONLY for Going UP/Down + sideways

NO other functions

NO Return to home

None of the BUTTON functions

hold to take off and land etc.

none other than what i have noted

THAT problem along with the dangerous out of control Zooming up + Down situation i was in this past weekend where i was in fear of being blinded by the props convinced me to send it back

I should have sent it back much earlier but i got by with what the controller was able to do, but the out of control incident was the last straw

i have an RA # and the controller and the Evo will be sent back tomorrow AM

and YES..it DID perform beautifully until the YoYo thing this weekend

You asked HOW it could have performed beautifully

IT DID...it was controllable (as i mentioned the toggles worked in the controller)

During the time with just the minimal amount of control,i was filming and getting Fantastic vids of the HIGH points in The Catskill mountains of NY

Happy fun Flying to you all...i will get back re my efforts with sending it back to Autel

Martin

One more thing guys, when I got to the counter, the girl working customer service asked..."Why did you wait so long to return it?"

WTH...I told her look outside. It's been pouring rain and windy for the past two weeks. Furthermore, that's non of her concern. I told her I had 30 days from when I took possession of the latest replacement.

That's when she corrected me and said I only had 15 days. That today was the last of those 15 days.

So, just to be clear, if you buy a drone from BestBuy don't do it unless you have a couple good days of flying weather just in case there's a problem with your purchase.

Reactions: Ansia
Here in Canada BestBuy would not allow any returns on drones if the box was opened. I guess someone took them court or they just figured out how dumb that was and have since changed it. We now have 30 days but there is a restocking fee of 15% if the drone costs less then 200 bucks and the box is opened.

I wonder if I can return things at a Best Buy from another country? ? Policy says you can return at any Best Buy.

Wondering why Autel hasn't chimed in in any way ?

There have been many accusations of outright FRAUD stated publicly on this forum

If one of us was a rep of that company wouldn't you or i have come to the defense of Autel (if innocent + not complicit ?)

OR is it just a coincidence that purchases of Autel's products from BB have had problems ?

• Wow
Reactions: Ansia

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller