Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Best EVO II Pro footage I’ve seen.

The music is blended well too hitting the key notes at the right time. Much harder to do than one might think although I hear FilmoraX can do it. I use Shotcut because it does what I want 90% of the time but FimoraX is only $69 so I might give it a go just for key functions like music.

The music is blended well too hitting the key notes at the right time. Much harder to do than one might think although I hear FilmoraX can do it. I use Shotcut because it does what I want 90% of the time but FimoraX is only $69 so I might give it a go just for key functions like music.

All good editors do this and I don't mean the NLE I mean the human editor. All you need is the audio waveform display enabled and you use it to cut to the audio track; I would never trust the NLE to do this for me.

For anyone looking for a video demonstrating the EVO II Pro camera quality I’d recommend checking this video out. Not sure if the guy is an Autel employee but he seems to know how to dial in the camera settings properly.

This is pretty nice footage but nothing that really shows what the camera can do. To really stress a modern camera you need to put it in high DR scenarios, low light/night scenarios, sunset scenes etc. The camera movements were nice, it was properly edited to the audio track, the color grading wasn't way oversaturated like most YouTube footage, it fit nicely in the Rec.709 color space, and the timing was good but it will take a lot more variety to really show off the 6K's camera and none of the compositions in the video came close to stressing the dynamic range of the camera.

Reactions: Mark Kuzio
For anyone looking for a video demonstrating the EVO II Pro camera quality I’d recommend checking this video out. Not sure if the guy is an Autel employee but he seems to know how to dial in the camera settings properly.
Somebody once sagely said, "If you want to improve your photography, put better subject matter in front of your lens." Hard to top the Sierra Nevada in snow...

Reactions: herein2021
Somebody once sagely said, "If you want to improve your photography, put better subject matter in front of your lens." Hard to top the Sierra Nevada in snow...

Very true.....the one thing the video does demonstrate is that the EVO II can fly in the cold and higher altitudes with no problems. Definitely hard to beat snow covered mountain footage from a scenic standpoint.

Reactions: drrags
For all intents of purposes, it could have been almost any drone camera. This could easily have been shot with the DJI Mini 2 !

Without a doubt, a good example of the Evo ll, 6K's power when dialed in right. The post-production work is what truly shines The blend of sequences, duration, music, and his subject was well done. The Evo ll, 6k with the 1" sensor is sitting directly on top of the Drone market for drones of this quality and at this price. I might be partial as I have both DJI and Autel drones but when I'm looking to film a professional video, I always grab my Evo ll. If you're going to a Gunfight, don't take a knife.

All good editors do this and I don't mean the NLE I mean the human editor. All you need is the audio waveform display enabled and you use it to cut to the audio track; I would never trust the NLE to do this for me.

This is pretty nice footage but nothing that really shows what the camera can do. To really stress a modern camera you need to put it in high DR scenarios, low light/night scenarios, sunset scenes etc. The camera movements were nice, it was properly edited to the audio track, the color grading wasn't way oversaturated like most YouTube footage, it fit nicely in the Rec.709 color space, and the timing was good but it will take a lot more variety to really show off the 6K's camera and none of the compositions in the video came close to stressing the dynamic range of the camera.
Idk how familiar you are with snow scenes on a sunny day, but they can be brutal if your camera doesn't have great dynamic range. The combination of a low sun, bright reflections and deep shadows is tough. The final shot is about the most demanding lighting you could ask for.

Idk how familiar you are with snow scenes on a sunny day, but they can be brutal if your camera doesn't have great dynamic range. The combination of a low sun, bright reflections and deep shadows is tough. The final shot is about the most demanding lighting you could ask for.

Oh I agree, it is a challenging scene, but I would estimate there's only a 7 stop difference even in that closing scene. The camera handled it well as well as the all important highlight rolloff for the sun.

To me a more demanding scene would be a setting sun reflecting off of water while still trying to retain some of the mids, which is why when I wanted to test the dynamic range of the camera I used that exact scenario. My only point was there was no scenario in the video that could not have been handled equally well by nearly any other drone with a 1" sensor. So to me the areas where it did showcase the EVO II 6K specifically was the ability to fly in the cold, at that altitude, and the pleasing highlight rolloff which I assume was achieved by shooting in ALOG.

Another good scenario is the setting sun on the opposite side of a tall building; how many details you are able to retain on the nearside of the building while also retaining color in the sunset will really showcase the camera's dynamic range as you start to get into 11+ stops needed. No matter what the pixel peeping tests reveal, there is no doubt about the fact the camera on the EVO II 6K is exceptional for a drone camera and Autel has implemented a very complimentary LOG profile to go with it.

Attachments

• Grading-Test.jpg
    Grading-Test.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Oh I agree, it is a challenging scene, but I would estimate there's only a 7 stop difference even in that closing scene. The camera handled it well as well as the all important highlight rolloff for the sun.

To me a more demanding scene would be a setting sun reflecting off of water while still trying to retain some of the mids, which is why when I wanted to test the dynamic range of the camera I used that exact scenario. My only point was there was no scenario in the video that could not have been handled equally well by nearly any other drone with a 1" sensor. So to me the areas where it did showcase the EVO II 6K specifically was the ability to fly in the cold, at that altitude, and the pleasing highlight rolloff which I assume was achieved by shooting in ALOG.

Another good scenario is the setting sun on the opposite side of a tall building; how many details you are able to retain on the nearside of the building while also retaining color in the sunset will really showcase the camera's dynamic range as you start to get into 11+ stops needed. No matter what the pixel peeping tests reveal, there is no doubt about the fact the camera on the EVO II 6K is exceptional for a drone camera and Autel has implemented a very complimentary LOG profile to go with it.
Hmm. That's a good point. There's not a ton to capture in the mids here.

As a side note, I'd love to see YouTube reviewers take a more considered approach, such as yours, to their camera comparisons. Half the time they compare drones with them both on auto settings and it kills me.

Reactions: Quad808
Hmm. That's a good point. There's not a ton to capture in the mids here.

As a side note, I'd love to see YouTube reviewers take a more considered approach, such as yours, to their camera comparisons. Half the time they compare drones with them both on auto settings and it kills me.
I HATE those reviews too. Set the dang camera to the best settings you can, on all cameras you are testing, like you would if you were actually USING it...then compare the outputs on what you would get, like in real life. This would give a "real world" comparison for each camera, and I feel would be more accurate.

@Tiko @Quad808 I hate them too, they are so artificial and so much is unknown most of the time (AWB, Auto ISO, camera mode, color profile, etc.). I really don't base my buying decisions off of any of them. I look at the spec sheet and sure I view a few sample videos but with a healthy dose of mistrust in all of them. I think the problem is, most of the "reviewers" do "reviews" for a living vs. actually using the gear day in and day out. The reviews I trust the most are the ones from videographers and photographers who actually purchase the gear and post a review after they have been using it for months to do paid work.

The one exception is Gerald Undone and a few like him. Reviewers like him are great to get the really detailed specs, but even he does not always find all the features you will use or that will impact your workflow in real world situations.

Set the dang camera to the best settings you can, on all cameras you are testing, like you would if you were actually USING it...then compare the outputs on what you would get, like in real life.

I really think half the time they only have them for a few days or weeks, they are rushing to get their review out the door before everyone else and frankly they never do find the "best settings" for that particular piece of equipment. It is taking me weeks to find the truly best settings for the Autel EVO II 6K to include low light situations, sunny vs cloudy, high dynamic range scenarios, video vs photography, and ALOG exposure metering using the histogram. Lets not even forget post processing workflow (lows, mids, highs, primaries color grading settings, LUTs, etc.), what modes are 10bit vs 8bit, etc.

Reactions: Quad808

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials