Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Battery question

nh phantom

Reaction score
I have an evo 2 with 5 batteries. I’ve been using the same 1-2 batteries when I need to fly it. Question is. Do I need to do a firmware update for every battery? I’ve only updated firmware once when I got it. Never did with the other batteries.

I have an evo 2 with 5 batteries. I’ve been using the same 1-2 batteries when I need to fly it. Question is. Do I need to do a firmware update for every battery? I’ve only updated firmware once when I got it. Never did with the other batteries.
Yes - you need to insert all the batteries into the EVO II and re-run the update: it won't take as long as the first update, but is still necessary. Also best to cycle through all of your batteries you are flying with - to ensure such updates are applied evenly and not missed for some of your batteries.

I think you mentioned you fly with the same 1-2 batteries. if you don't fly with the other 3 batteries, there is no need to update them. ;)

However if those other 3 batteries are sitting idle for months at a time, this will decrease their longevity. Better to run all 5 batteries and simply log the number of cycles on each to give all of them regular use.

However if those other 3 batteries are sitting idle for months at a time, this will decrease their longevity. Better to run all 5 batteries and simply log the number of cycles on each to give all of them regular use.
I got all the batteries updated. I will start to rotate use.

Reactions: davery87
I've got a related question. I currently have (2) EVO II Pro 6K's a V1 & a V2. If I perform a firmware update for the batteries on the V2 will I still be able to use the batteries in the V1? I suspect I already know the answer & I probably won't like the answer! Is or will there be a path to get the batteries back to working order with the other bird?

What exactly is being updated/changed in the battery update and what are the consequences for not updating the batteries firmware?

I've got a related question. I currently have (2) EVO II Pro 6K's a V1 & a V2. If I perform a firmware update for the batteries on the V2 will I still be able to use the batteries in the V1? I suspect I already know the answer & I probably won't like the answer! Is or will there be a path to get the batteries back to working order with the other bird?

What exactly is being updated/changed in the battery update and what are the consequences for not updating the batteries firmware?
to my knowledge, this is nothing preventing the drone from flying with a battery that doesn't have the most current update. autel doesn't sell v1 and v2 batteries.

to my knowledge, this is nothing preventing the drone from flying with a battery that doesn't have the most current update. autel doesn't sell v1 and v2 batteries.
Ken, thanks for the reply. I realize that Autel only sells one battery and they work in both models. However, I do not believe firmware is sync'd between the V1 & V2. So, if I update all (4) of my batteries to the latest V2 Firmware, will they become unusable in my V1?

Ken, thanks for the reply. I realize that Autel only sells one battery and they work in both models. However, I do not believe firmware is sync'd between the V1 & V2. So, if I update all (4) of my batteries to the latest V2 Firmware, will they become unusable in my V1?
correct, the software on a v1 drone is different than the software on a v2 drone. my guess is when you buy a battery from the retailer today, it works with either a v1 drone or a v2 drone regardless. my reasoning is a battery that you purchased today comes with software that is already updated with the v2 and since it is not marked as a v2-only battery, stands to reason it will work with v1 equipment. have you checked the version after updating just one battery to see if at least the number has changed? i would try with just one battery first and see if it works on both v1 and v2. if it does not, i'm sure autel will take care of it for you since this shouldn't be happening without warning from autel.

correct, the software on a v1 drone is different than the software on a v2 drone. my guess is when you buy a battery from the retailer today, it works with either a v1 drone or a v2 drone regardless. my reasoning is a battery that you purchased today comes with software that is already updated with the v2 and since it is not marked as a v2-only battery, stands to reason it will work with v1 equipment. have you checked the version after updating just one battery to see if at least the number has changed? i would try with just one battery first and see if it works on both v1 and v2. if it does not, i'm sure autel will take care of it for you since this shouldn't be happening without warning from autel.
I have not updated any of the batteries yet. I am firmware "Gun Shy" at the moment after recently experiencing a firmware update problem that required sending my drone & controller to Autel to straighten things out (10 days later). The official statement from Autel was that the wrong version of firmware was used. This started by the automated over the air firmware update which failed and then followed up with a manual attempt and there is no question that the appropriate links on the website were followed to get to what was supposed to be the correct firmware. Thanks for your reply!

Look at the modules for the battery firmware under "Settings". There have actually been Evo 2 firmware updates that used the previous battery version module, but don't just take my word for it, check to see which each one of yours is, against what your firmware version says it requires. The biggest annoyance to inserting a battery with an older FW module installed is that you'll get an alert and be prompted to update your firmware in the field-- and that is almost never a good idea. (I try to make it a point to download my maps from a hotspot to my drone tablet before powering up the controller, then taking the tablet offline, to not have a delay while flashing the NFZ maps or getting other such update prompts.)

While you're at it, you might also want to look at the voltage differential between individual cells of batteries to determine their health. Too, if you're not using the extra batteries, e.g. they're not in constant rotation, you might be better off recouping some of your investment before they're kaput

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58