Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Battery mod

Robert0220

Reaction score
Hello all. So today I made is out 17k ft today starting getting nervous because of the battery. I did return home when I reached back above home point had 32% battery left. So my thing is has anyone every attempted a battery mod for our evo 2. I know almost every mavic series has one. But would love if we had that option as well

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
Hello all. So today I made is out 17k ft today starting getting nervous because of the battery. I did return home when I reached back above home point had 32% battery left. So my thing is has anyone every attempted a battery mod for our evo 2. I know almost every mavic series has one. But would love if we had that option as well

What kind of battery mod are you referring to? Personally I am not going to even consider modifying the flight battery in any way; doing things like that decrease flight reliability and increase the chances of a battery fire.

As far as range goes, I have achieved 5+ miles (28,300') over open ocean at 100' AGL and returned back to land with 10% battery remaining.

What kind of battery mod are you referring to? Personally I am not going to even consider modifying the flight battery in any way; doing things like that decrease flight reliability and increase the chances of a battery fire.

As far as range goes, I have achieved 5+ miles (28,300') over open ocean at 100' AGL and returned back to land with 10% battery remaining.
Meaning how dji has the adapter for extra battery’s for longer flight times. I would not take one apart and rebuild. But maybe would like to add a few extra mah

Meaning how dji has the adapter for extra battery’s for longer flight times. I would not take one apart and rebuild. But maybe would like to add a few extra mah

Oh ok, I have not purchased DJI products in quite awhile so I was not aware that they had accessories like that. I haven't seen anything like that for the EVO II. I would imagine that it is not strong enough to fly with two flight batteries at once.

It’s not two of the stock flight batteries at once. That put smaller mah batteries on the sides top or bottom for more mah , longer flight times.

Never said it was from dji but for dji drones n would love if we could get another ten mins from our birds

IMO mods like those from aftermarket vendors aren't much better than taking apart the battery itself. The battery quality those vendors would use is questionable at best and the extra weight would place stress on the airframe and motors which it was not originally designed for which in turn could still lead to unreliabilty, shorter life, potential battery fires, etc.

I would imagine that if the OEM vendor could safely get one more min out of their aircraft they would certainly do so; the OEM battery specs, weight, etc. are what they are due to the total design of the aircraft. Everyone wants more flight time and of course the OEM vendors know that and do everything safely possible to make each flight last as long as possible.

As far as your original question...Autel is many orders of magnatude smaller than DJI, so aftermarket vendors have little incentive to make things like that for Autel drones so it is unlikely you will be able to find a mod like that for Autel products.

This was exactly my point 👍
Am not sure anyone here knows what I am talking about. It’s a adapter that connects to the battery pinout that allows for battery’s of the same cell count smaller mah to be added. That way you are increasing flight time. These drones along with dji do have payload capabilities there for the extra batteries would be the payload

Am not sure anyone here knows what I am talking about. It’s a adapter that connects to the battery pinout that allows for battery’s of the same cell count smaller mah to be added. That way you are increasing flight time. These drones along with dji do have payload capabilities there for the extra batteries would be the payload

Yes we are familiar with what you are referring to but I don't think you see our point.

• The Adapter - This is now another set of pins between the battery and the drone, anything goes wrong there and you lose the drone so here is where the reliability part decreases
  • The Battery - The additional battery that you are referring to is typically made of the cheapest materials the 3rd party vendor can find to maximize their profits, LiPos are notoriously finicky and are known to cause battery fires.....those cheap materials combined with LiPo technology was my battery fire reference point.
  • Reliability - The time remaining indicator is designed to measure the capacity only of the original OEM, not an add-on, also if one of the cells in that aftermarket add-on goes bad it probably will not be detected by the built in indicator which means that once again reliability is in question not to mention the built in timer probably will not accurately measure the time remaining even if the battery is working properly which again means you could lose the drone.
  • Airframe - The airframes of these craft were built to be stronger than just the drone and OEM battery...but that's for fighting wind, hard landings, etc. in other words..occasional sudden extra stresses; not for carrying an additional load continuously. Tasks like that shorten the life of the motors, lead to airframe cracks, and affects the obstacle sensors because they are programmed for the original weight of the craft, not an additional load so they may not stop the craft in time with the additional weight of the batteries when there is an obstacle.
As you can see, what seems like a simple mod in fact impacts all areas of the aircraft so I refer to my earlier statement that the OEM vendors would have already added additional flight time if it were safe to do so by adding heavier batteries.

Imagine your car....everyone wants to spend less time at gas stations so why doesn't everyone just add a bigger gas tank in the back seat or why don't manufacturers just throw in a bigger gas tank under the car? Because it would add extra weight which would affect the handling and braking characteristics of the car, it would be a fire hazard to have a gas tank in the back seat, the gas gauge would not properly detect the range remaining for the vehicle...etc....exactly like adding mods like these to drones.

Also, say you do lose your craft with one of these mods attached or your house burns down while charging that add on battery...good luck getting anything from that aftermarket vendor or the original maker.

All of those things wouldn't really matter if we were talking about something like an RC car or boat, but when it comes to drones, to me safety is everything.

Last edited:
The EVO 2 Battery weight vs flight time seems already pretty well optimised if you ask me. Any added weight will reduce flight time and also could cause an offset in the center of gravity too. So the IMU will have more activity going on to keep the drone in balance. Hence more energy will get consumed for keeping the aircraft stable. I therefore doubt if adding aux-batteries on the sides or under the aircraft would even have any significant increase in operation time, be it hovering or a longer range in distance back and forth. Apart from that anything added to the aircraft like the official Propeller Guards or the accessories such as available for the EVO 2 Enterprise, reduce the total aerodynamics a lot. Increase of weight + less aerodynamics will probably out rule the benefit of added aux power.

Still I remain curious to hear if anyone has experimented with this. Send some proof if such aux power hacks exist and when they do show beneficial results.

Reactions: aebiv
The EVO 2 Battery weight vs flight time seems already pretty well optimised if you ask me. Any added weight will reduce flight time and also could cause an offset in the center of gravity too. So the IMU will have more activity going on to keep the drone in balance. Hence more energy will get consumed for keeping the aircraft stable. I therefore doubt if adding aux-batteries on the sides or under the aircraft would even have any significant increase in operation time, be it hovering or a longer range in distance back and forth. Apart from that anything added to the aircraft like the official Propeller Guards or the accessories such as available for the EVO 2 Enterprise, reduce the total aerodynamics a lot. Increase of weight + less aerodynamics will probably out rule the benefit of added aux power.

Still I remain curious to hear if anyone has experimented with this. Send some proof if such aux power hacks exist and when they do show beneficial results.
Agreed would love if out there and proof

This makes me a bit curious if the EVO II Pro Enterprise drones are getting any better flight time vs a EVO II Pro drone. I know the Enterprise ones have switched to carbon fiber legs, and different motors, to help with the additional weight that they're "designed" to carry.

Just wondering if you aren't using the attachments, if there is a benefit.

I know with the Anafi, I swapped the base anafi arms/motors with the ones from the FPV/Thermal Anafi (which are carbon fiber instead of composite) and got better handling (guessing due to rigidity) out of the ordeal. No difference though in flight times.

This makes me a bit curious if the EVO II Pro Enterprise drones are getting any better flight time vs a EVO II Pro drone. I know the Enterprise ones have switched to carbon fiber legs...

As far as I know Autel claims the enterprise edition, with a notable larger "wing"span to get 42 minutes maximum without any accessories attached from a single battery.

I think that's a small difference, plus any attached accessories make it go under the Evo 2 Pro's maximum flight time.

I wonder more if there's a positive difference in forward flight vs hovering time.

Source:
https://auteldrones.com/pages/evo-ii-enterprise-specification

Reactions: aebiv
As far as I know Autel claims the enterprise edition, with a notable larger "wing"span to get 42 minutes maximum without any accessories attached from a single battery.

I think that's a small difference, plus any attached accessories make it go under the Evo 2 Pro's maximum flight time.

I wonder more if there's a positive difference in forward flight vs hovering time.

Source:
https://auteldrones.com/pages/evo-ii-enterprise-specification

I would take ANY battery claims from Autel with a lot of grains of salt. The EVO II 6K is rated at 40min flight time yet the timer shows 33min remaining before the EVO even leaves the ground.

Reactions: PingSpike
I would take ANY battery claims from Autel with a lot of grains of salt. The EVO II 6K is rated at 40min flight time yet the timer shows 33min remaining before the EVO even leaves the ground.
Yes, obviously the max flight time claimed by a manufacturer was measured indoors and in ideal air temperature with zero interference. So indeed seeing 35 minutes remaining on takeoff is a more realistic scenario.

Yet the ideal conditions for measuring endurance are a useful benchmark for some kind of comparison looking at different drones, printers, cell phones, hard disks or kitchen appliances alike.

Yes, obviously the max flight time claimed by a manufacturer was measured indoors and in ideal air temperature with zero interference. So indeed seeing 35 minutes remaining on takeoff is a more realistic scenario.

Yet the ideal conditions for measuring endurance are a useful benchmark for some kind of comparison looking at different drones, printers, cell phones, hard disks or kitchen appliances alike.

Personally I have come to believe that it is a flat out lie; if the timer shows 33 min before ever even powering up the motors there is no possible way to add 7 min to that timer under any circumstances.

There is zero standardized testing or regulations for these types of claims so they get away with it. Personally I find the actual 33 min flight time quite impressive, but it is not common to find manufacturers claims that are so clearly and blatantly dishonest.

DJI on the other hand has for me always been very accurate in their range and battery specifications.

In a way you are right. There should be a measurement standard to enable a fair comparison.

FYI, I got 37 minutes on the display pre flight from a new battery first time use. It was produced about half a year earlier then. This was on an average sunny but not so warm day in Europe last summer. Temperature does affect the battery performance a lot. So I imagine it is technically possible to get 40 minutes under some freak ideal circumstances using a factory new or one day old battery while turning off obstacle avoidance and not recording any footage on the evo 2.

Now let's be realistic, to ensure a safe return of the aircraft of any brand or type and under normal conditions we should keep a 25% threshold. So all times indicated are relative!

Last edited:
In a way you are right. There should be a measurement standard to enable a fair comparison.

FYI, I got 37 minutes on the display pre flight from a new battery first time use. It was produced about half a year earlier then. This was on an average sunny but not so warm day in Europe last summer. Temperature does affect the battery performance a lot. So I imagine it is technically possible to get 40 minutes under some freak ideal circumstances using a factory new or one day old battery while turning off obstacle avoidance and not recording any footage on the evo 2.

Now let's be realistic, to ensure a safe return of the aircraft of any brand or type and under normal conditions we should keep a 25% threshold. So all times indicated are relative!

That is interesting, I have never seen 37min or heard of anyone getting a 37min start timer and I have flown in a wide variety of temps and with OA off; of course the battery build date and cycles plays into that as well but it is good to hear that someone at least came closer to 40min than I have heard of to date. In the USA automakers were notorious even up until a few years ago for overstating fuel economy and engine power but I believe those claims are now more tightly regulated.

And yes, obviously we aren't discussing the 20%+ time buffer that should be in place to safely land.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller