Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

battery left on drone?

Rorysee

Reaction score
I am not getting why we should not leave the battery on the drone during storage. makes no sense. the drone is off, the battery is off. how can this damage the battery or deplete the battery life? The battery is a battery the same as a car and a cellphone. what is the issue with drone batteries? that they must be removed from point A on the drone to point B off the drone and they are in the exact same status in A and B. The only thing that changed is there position. off is off and on is on. what's the issue?

Last edited:
You can leave your battery installed on your drone no problem. I do it all the times in all my drones. Saves space and I have yet to see any difference in discharge or behaviour. A worry I do have is, that I live in a very humid place. Leaving humidity locked within the metal connectors for months, during storage, might accelerate corrosion. I have yet to see it on my drones, but I have seen it happened.

Here is an example of it happening by storing the drone with silicon motor caps.

Reactions: jcommstudios
thanks for the heads up. never thought of that. makes sense to give the drone a quick hair dryer before storing it. moister damage in the air makes sense. a saw someone on a shoot once with rubber lens covers. it seemed like a good idea but what if moister was inside and the temperature rises. you will get lense damage. so a covering that allowed the lens to breath would be better = I use socks. Not old used one LOL . don't want footprints on your lenses

Reactions: Ansia
I am not getting why we should not leave the battery on the drone during storage. makes no sense. the drone is off, the battery is off. how can this damage the battery or deplete the battery life? The battery is a battery the same as a car and a cellphone. what is the issue with drone batteries? that they must be removed from point A on the drone to point B off the drone and they are in the exact same status in A and B. The only thing that changed is there position. off is off and on is on. what's the issue?
The smart battery will self discharge to a storage state after 10 days or whatever the app setting is, unless you reset it by checking the battery state. It would happen whether the battery is in or out of the drone. It doesn't know it is installed.

Last edited:
Depending on your case, toss several silica gel packets in with the drone if you're worried.
Even the soft autel case it really does help. Only downside to the soft case, is you have to "renew" the gel packets pretty often. I save almost all those packets, and even bought a bunch on amazon. Keep them in toolboxes, and anything that's not climate controlled. They actually do help. (And then every month or so in the summer I'm microwaving like a hundred of the things. cause this is the south, and it's humid and gross.)

• Haha
Reactions: saker and Ansia
Depending on your case, toss several silica gel packets in with the drone if you're worried.
Even the soft autel case it really does help. Only downside to the soft case, is you have to "renew" the gel packets pretty often. I save almost all those packets, and even bought a bunch on amazon. Keep them in toolboxes, and anything that's not climate controlled. They actually do help. (And then every month or so in the summer I'm microwaving like a hundred of the things. cause this is the south, and it's humid and gross.)
Gross like this? ?
airplanesweating.jpg

Reactions: hscrugby
Yes the nights can be hot..what do you use for the daytime when the humidity is really bad? LOL. I have been in some places the humidity is insane but the surroundings are stunning. my brothers in law used to take a small motorboat out to Cargados carajos also called st Brandon islands for a few days. way too hot and isolated for me. I took my 3DR solo out 370 km south of that. I will take my EVO there in a few week's time. I will be able to fly further and get better quality clips with the EVO.

Last edited:
Reactions: saker
I had to go out often and swim in the ocean a few times a night. some of those places no electricity. I think that's why they still look so stunning

I had to go out often and swim in the ocean a few times a night. some of those places no electricity. I think that's why they still look so stunning
Aren't you worried for Tiger and White sharks? I read somewhere South African waters are filled with them.

flip...heat...or shark. go with the shark. they have more compassion than the hot summer.

• Haha
Reactions: Ansia

I think I know what they referring to now, when you leave a battery for a couple of weeks the indicator light on the battery when you check it will only show one flashing light, as if its <25% and has discharged. Normally if you leave a fully charged battery @ 100%, it will discharge after a number of days to storage levels, however there seems to be one more "step" in that if you leave it longer, it only shows one light flashing as if its <25%. I found that if you pop it back on the charger, the battery will very quickly jump back up to 50-60% and resume charging as if nothing had happened. It didnt matter if the battery was sitting on the drone or not. .Unsure if its a bug or what but those were my observations,, Very strange one at that.

I first noticed this on my spare battery which was kept @ 60% and I had to send the drone off to Autel for 6 weeks, when I got it back the spare battery seemingly had discharged itself to 1 flashing light (<25) however putting it back on the charger it quickly resumed charging with only 2 flashing lights.

I think I know what they referring to now, when you leave a battery for a couple of weeks the indicator light on the battery when you check it will only show one flashing light, as if its <25% and has discharged. Normally if you leave a fully charged battery @ 100%, it will discharge after a number of days to storage levels, however there seems to be one more "step" in that if you leave it longer, it only shows one light flashing as if its <25%. I found that if you pop it back on the charger, the battery will very quickly jump back up to 50-60% and resume charging as if nothing had happened. It didnt matter if the battery was sitting on the drone or not. .Unsure if its a bug or what but those were my observations,, Very strange one at that.

I first noticed this on my spare battery which was kept @ 60% and I had to send the drone off to Autel for 6 weeks, when I got it back the spare battery seemingly had discharged itself to 1 flashing light (<25) however putting it back on the charger it quickly resumed charging with only 2 flashing lights.
Regardless, the main point is that the battery left installed in the drone will not discharge any faster than those outside of the drone, assuming they were all originally charged fully at the same time.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy