Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Autel Evo or the Parrot Anafi

blitzen

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking at the Autel Evo and then the Parrot Anafi. I am wondering if the Evo can do 3d mapping. Either through its own 3d mapping software or third party. If it is 3rd party can you tell me which works best with Evo. Thanks in advance--Sincerely, David

Reactions: norman.hicks.35
I personally will never invest in a parrot product. The quality material of their aircraft its very cheaply made.

They really are different beasts. Anafi, depending where you buy it, is at minimum 40% cheaper. While few can touch Autel’s customer service, Anafi has some features not available on Evo, or even DJI. Anafi’s ability to shoot straight up is one, so is lossless zoom with it’s 21mp sensor. Evo’s 4K @60fps separates it from most in it’s class, build quality is better too. You’re going to have to make the call if Evo’s extra $400 is worth it...

Reactions: UnRanged
Thanks for your reply. Does anyone use their evo for mapping? I thought someone had mentioned third party-Precision Hawk had or will soon have something available. Thanks again

Thanks for your reply. Does anyone use their evo for mapping? I thought someone had mentioned third party-Precision Hawk had or will soon have something available. Thanks again

You can do mapping with pretty much any UAV that has waypoints with a average camera. Some of us laid out how to do it with the Autel X-Star and spent a lot of time putting together a thread on here for others to learn from. I'm sure you could take the same thread and turn it into what ever UAV you want to fly for your mission. Mapping is nothing more then having the right amount of pictures with the right amount of over lap to give detail. These can used in any of the mapping sites or a stand alone program.

I personally will never invest in a parrot product. The quality material of their aircraft its very cheaply made.

I find this statement pretty funny. Yes Parrots choice of materials is light and feels cheap. The reason for doing this on the Anafi was to make one of the lightest UAV,s that actually has a good camera. I have been flying UAV's 5 plus years and have had 2 of them drop, one from 200 feet and the other from 30 feet. The air frame on both were smashed to pieces. My point is anything up in the sky is not going to fair well when it hits the ground.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
You can do mapping with pretty much any UAV that has waypoints with a average camera. Some of us laid out how to do it with the Autel X-Star and spent a lot of time putting together a thread on here for others to learn from. I'm sure you could take the same thread and turn it into what ever UAV you want to fly for your mission. Mapping is nothing more then having the right amount of pictures with the right amount of over lap to give detail. These can used in any of the mapping sites or a stand alone program.

I find this statement pretty funny. Yes Parrots choice of materials is light and feels cheap. The reason for doing this on the Anafi was to make one of the lightest UAV,s that actually has a good camera. I have been flying UAV's 5 plus years and have had 2 of them drop, one from 200 feet and the other from 30 feet. The air frame on both were smashed to pieces. My point is anything up in the sky is not going to fair well when it hits the ground.

Thank you for your reply Agustine I will look for the thread.

Sincerely,

David

Size matters, I get that. But ultra-lightness is surely a disadvantage in any wind. A stable/stationary hover is essential for videographers and I have seen videos of lightweight drones getting thrown around in all directions in not very strong winds when supposedly hovering.

Also, not all crashes are equal. Sometimes a heavier drone can survive a brush with a branch while a light one will be downed.

Size matters, I get that. But ultra-lightness is surely a disadvantage in any wind. A stable/stationary hover is essential for videographers and I have seen videos of lightweight drones getting thrown around in all directions in not very strong winds when supposedly hovering.

Also, not all crashes are equal. Sometimes a heavier drone can survive a brush with a branch while a light one will be downed.

Thank you Yukay, for your feed back.

Sincerely

Davd

I have a Yuneec Typhoon Q500. It is considerable larger then a Autel x-star and I can tell you it gets thrown around a lot in the wind. It gets what is called a Yaw snap. By design it gets whipped around in winds higher then 18 mile per hour. The Autel x-star does a pretty good job in strong winds. The Parrot Anafi I have flown in 30 MPH winds and it just digs in and is very solid with the end resulted video. It has more to do with how the firmware compensates for such a situation.
Over the years I learned not to fly close to trees with branches. They always win in the end. Most OA is useless with branches also.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
From what I've seen, light drones don't hover on the spot even in light winds - and the motors are always trying to compensate but the drift has to happen before it is corrected so a steady shot becomes impossible. This guy isn't the only pro photographer making the point:

Yup like I said before for every bad review you can find a good one. Video still stays stable even with the Anafi moving around.
Yup like I said before for every bad review you can find a good one. Video still stays stable even with the Anafi moving around.
Damn, I found one in the Phoenix-area Craigslist for $300, but he sold it 30 min before I asked about it..... Grrrrrrrrr

In my quest to own drones from all manufacturers I've looked at the Anafi. The price point is decent. Some of the reviews are decent, but it just "feels" cheap in my hands. Despite what my wife will tell you weight doesn't make something better, but holding the Anafi feels like holding the Mavic knockoffs I got for my kids that were $50.

If someone was just starting the drone thing I'd tell them to go with a Spark. If they wanted to go all in, but didn't want to spring for the MP2 series I would tell them to go with the Evo. I prefer it to my Air in almost every facet.

A very respected reviewer for anything cameras made a comparison .
His end of the year review he had picked the Anafi as the drone of the year.
Parrot Anafi vs DJI Mavic Air

To get back on topic
blitzen if you are interested in mapping then its a no brainier. Parrot is setup with Pix4D where Autel lied about having mapping when they started out with the EVO. Sometime down the road they might make it a option, who knows. If you want something out of the box that works for mapping you might consider the Anafi. If you want to wait on Autels promises you could be waiting a long time. Here is a video for mapping. Not in english but I think you can get a idea of what you get.

Reactions: TopfliteDP

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ghost183