Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Autel Evo Nano Plus - 360 panorama mode?

izometric

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I am contemplating replacing my DJI mini 2 with Nano Plus as a travelling drone.

I use the DJI mini 2 mainly to take 360 panoramas.

I just want to make sure that Nano Plus is also capable of taking automatic 360 panoramas.

Thanks for letting me know.

Right yesterday, my Nano Plus took a nice 360 ° panorama.
So I dare to answer: Yes!

But ... For travelling, I would rather go with the Mini 2 - flight is more stable, longer flight time, controller needs to get recharged less often, also there's less bugs as with the Nano Plus.
The Mini 2 feels like a finished and proven product, while the Nano feels a bit like an experimental car where you constantly need to retighten the screws while driving.

No. Mini 2 is out. Last time I travelled to Spain I lifted the Mini 2 to take some photos and in 10 minutes the police was next to me -> detected by Aeroscope.

I cannot possibly get permission to fly everywhere I travel in European space, most of the countries will require you to have local national ID to ask for flight permissions.

So I need a drone that cannot be detected by Aeroscope.

I do always respect EASA regulations for aviation safety.

No. Mini 2 is out. Last time I travelled to Spain I lifted the Mini 2 to take some photos and in 10 minutes the police was next to me -> detected by Aeroscope.
Serious, they used Aeroscope, are you sure?
If so, it really is a bummer. :/
In that case, I fully understand your Mini 2 aversion, but I'm not sure if Aeroscope doesn't also cover non-DJI drones.

In Germany, you don't need to fear Aeroscope: There's masses of human drone detectors walking around, immediately coming your way and asking you what you are doing, why you are doing that, if you've got a license, if you came to a special spot only for spying on them - and so on.
I learned the best answer to "What are you recording?" is "You!" Really puzzles them. :)

Reactions: Townie and thelimey
I've taken some really nice 360s images with the Nano+, takes a couple mins for it to complete the auto rotations capturing all the needed images and stitch together. Just keep your hands of controls sticks while it does its job. My problem is the Skylink wifi fast transfer doesn't seem to be working, keeps asking for a password to the drone for my mobiles wifi to connect to. So I have to manual transfer the SD card to PC to get photos, but for some reason stitched version isn't there, just individual images. Luckily I have a 360 stitching program, so I work around with that at the moment.

I would definitely recommend replacing your mini with the Nano+. Since I have had the Nano+, My DJI Air 2 hasn't been used once. Yeah, there might be a few hiccups along the way, even though I haven't experienced much of any disturbances.. but the freedom you are looking for ? You will definitely find it in the Nano+. It is very liberating to be out from under DJI constantly looking over your shoulder and governing where you fly. There will be no police over your shoulder because they won't even know you are there. Fly responsibly/aware like anyone should do when flying a drone and you won't be constantly stressed that someone may be around the corner looking for you. You won't regret the purchase.

Thanks for the feedback. I pulled the trigger yesterday. Today I will have it delivered.

I got rid of the Mini 2, I sold it rather fast and with a very good price (82% of the original price after 14 months of use -> I sold it as new as I received a brand new replacement from DJI for horizon level problems)

I still have the Air 2S. I live in Belgium and the authorities do not exaggerate (yet) with Aeroscope. However, in Belgium I have a different kind of problem: maximum flight altitude in Open category is 45 meters which is rubbish. Of course I am flying higher than that (but less than 120m). At the first sign they will spy on your telemetry to check your altitude for authorized flights, the Air 2S is a goner too.

Reason: Stitched version is on your smartphone. Just open the Album in the app and export it from there.
Oh you Legend! Yes, they are there, thanks.

Any idea on why a video copied off SD shows as corrupt on PC, but when drone switched on and watching it via album, it plays perfectly? I've copied it multiple times in case something happened during transfer, and doesn't play on mobile, pc, or laptop. Only seems to be happing on the long 8min video I actually want.

Any idea on why a video copied off SD shows as corrupt on PC, but when drone switched on and watching it via album, it plays perfectly? I've copied it multiple times in case something happened during transfer, and doesn't play on mobile, pc, or laptop. Only seems to be happing on the long 8min video I actually want.
I am new to the Nano Plus, so my experience level is very low. :/

There's always a problem with THAT file we need most, isn't it?
There's countless possible reasons. One of them could be missing codecs on the PC. But if other videos (same format?) play fine and you tried different devices ...
Did you try both transfer methods, SD card and Wi-Fi transfer?
With the DJI Mini 2, sometimes files repaired itself if you took the SD card out, then inserted it again and switched on the drone. But I fear that won't work with the Nano. Maybe it's still worth a try in case you didn't try that already.
Did you also try several different players? I use "Media Player Classic" and the typical choice "VLC". One of those usually eats all footage I throw at them.
As a last resort, you could try installing a complex video post-editing software like DaVinci Resolve - there's a free version available: DaVinci Resolve 17 | Blackmagic Design
I am quite sure this will eventually do the trick.

Reactions: davery87
I shot two panoramas yesterday, processed them the same way I processed the ones in Mini 2 (Lightroom, Photoshop, Panoramastudio) and they are great.

The only downside so far is that it takes way longer to complete the panorama compared to DJI Mini 2. Where mini 2 would take about 40 seconds to shoot a panorama, the Autel is closer to 1'30" which is way too long.

I will check today If I can change camera settings before shooting panoramas. Otherwise this is useless at night time.

Also the Autel feels slower (flight speed) than Mini2.

However, the main selling point for me was to avoid detection by Aeroscope. So I can live with some small drawbacks.

Where mini 2 would take about 40 seconds to shoot a panorama, the Autel is closer to 1'30" which is way too long.
Also the Autel feels slower (flight speed) than Mini2.
Time required: Time just for shooting the pictures or shooting AND stitching the panorama?
Sluggish feeling in flight: Did you try switching off obstacle avoidance? - Makes a great agility difference.

Time to shoot the panorama, excluding stitching.

By the way, is there a way to prevent panorama stitching in drone? I have zero use for this function.

As for the speed, I will try to fly it with the collision detection off to see what changes.

One more thing I absolutely love about this drone: horizon level is rock solid. Mini 2 would always tilt horizon when orbiting in relatively low wind. Autel had absolutely no problem to keep the horizon level even though the aircraft would tilt significantly with the wind.

Last edited:
Time to shoot the panorama, excluding stitching.

By the way, is there a way to prevent panorama stitching in drone? I have zero use for this function.

One more thing I absolutely love about this drone: horizon level is rock solid. Mini 2 would always tilt horizon when orbiting in relatively low wind. Autel had absolutely no problem to keep the horizon level even though the aircraft would tilt significantly with the wind.
• Ah, I see. That's quite a difference. I just took one panorama each with both Mini 2 and Nano Plus, and don't took the time. Yes, it takes a bit long.

• Stitching is not done in the drone, it's done in the smartphone. I found it very nagging, having to wait for the smartphone to finish stitching before it granted me full view of my screen again. It's definitely something which should be done after landing, not during flight - selectable option preferred. I did not see such an option yet, but would like to see it soon.

• Indeed, I also found the Nano being quite stable, even under adverse wind conditions. It flounders and fidgets in the air like crazy, but the gimbal does a real good work! Might even be better than the Mini 2 - but I wouldn't swear by that, yet. ;)

Ok, I shot some more panoramas.

What I hate:

The time to shoot a panorama is about 2 minutes without stitching time. Extremely long. I hate this.
No camera manual settings to shoot panoramas (WTF??)
The photos come out with significant vignetting, I have to correct this heavily in Lightroom. This never happened with DJI (Mini 2 and Air2S).
The drone is significantly slower than DJI Mini 2 against the wind (20 kmph wind speed). With tailwind it flies OK it reaches 35-40 kmph, but with headwind it is a disaster it crawls at 5-6 kmph. You are going almost nowhere.
There is significant delay in video transmission from the drone. This impacts the framing of the photos. You try to position the drone for the shot and the drone moves after you stop touching the controls.

I feel that the drone price is completely unjustified.

I am seriously thinking to return the drone.

Last edited:
Quote: Ok, I shot some more panoramas.
Even more than the TWO I already shot? Unbelievable, you're boasting! :D

Quote: The time to shoot a panorama is about 2 minutes without stitching time. Extremely long. I hate this.
Me too. That's exactly the reason why I didn't shoot a second panorama with the Nano. Especially because stitching happens immediately, disturbing the flight and additional recordings.

Quote: No camera manual settings to shoot panoramas (WTF??)
Yes, WTF! Manual settings are always a MUST! Especially for Log recordings.

Quote: The photos come out with significant vignetting, I have to correct this heavily in Lightroom. This never happened with DJI (Mini 2 and Air2S).
That's not such a big deal for me - just every camera has vignetting. But most cameras have profiles for automatically compensating vignetting with leading post-processing softwares. No such profile for the Nano till now. The Nano's RAWs also show strong distortion towards the picture corners, very difficult to manually remove. Also, a profile would do the trick. Autel, do you hear me?

Quote: The drone is significantly slower than DJI Mini 2 against the wind (20 kmph wind speed). With tailwind it flies OK it reaches 35-40 kmph, but with headwind it is a disaster it crawls at 5-6 kmph. You are going almost nowhere.
Did you try deactivating obstacle avoidance by now? I found many situation where this combined with ludicrous mode and speed priority made a vital change to the better.
But there IS an issue with the other two modes, Autel is too conversative with motor power. Seems like they set a distinct maximum value, ignoring the present speed. Thus it seems like motor power is retricted to a value for reaching a specific speed under windless conditions - without increasing motor power if wind conditions change. This needs a correction, as this is likely to cause the "creeping".

Quote: There is significant delay in video transmission from the drone. This impacts the framing of the photos. You try to position the drone for the shot and the drone moves after you stop touching the controls.
I read they use a high bandwith for transmission, also use 2.7K transmission if the drone is near the controller. This might explain the delays. I see NO use for 2.7K if flying with a smartphone and it's tiny screen. Thus restricting the bandwith to 1080p/720p may speed up transmission noticeably. Also an issue needing a firmware fix (or a better explanation of the settings if that option is already there).

All in all: It's all software-related issues which Autel COULD fix, but we don't know if they actually DO. So I understand your thoughts and concerns quite well.

I've taken some really nice 360s images with the Nano+, takes a couple mins for it to complete the auto rotations capturing all the needed images and stitch together. Just keep your hands of controls sticks while it does its job. My problem is the Skylink wifi fast transfer doesn't seem to be working, keeps asking for a password to the drone for my mobiles wifi to connect to. So I have to manual transfer the SD card to PC to get photos, but for some reason stitched version isn't there, just individual images. Luckily I have a 360 stitching program, so I work around with that at the moment.
I get exactly the same thing. Try to grab any of the pano options and it takes the single shots, then goes into the "stitching" phase (which it never comes out of) and when I transfer from micro SD: no stitched JPG panorama. Luckily, I always use the Microsoft ICE v.2 for DSLR and drone pano's which is freeware and gives startlingly good results. I think the pano mode is also a buggy bit of Autel firmware.

I am new to the Nano+ and after reading your posts decided to try a panoramic photo. It turned out fine (for me) and I can scroll through the panorama on my iPad, but how can I make it so that I can post it and others can do the same scrolling? Sorry if this is something very simple, but I do not know how to do it.

Reactions: Townie
Ahoj. Ahoj
Vzal jsem 360, ale Autel Nano+ fotky neskládal.
Víte, co by to mohlo být?

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials