Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Autel Evo Nano and Nano Plus - DJI Mini 2 Killer?

VicVideoPic

Reaction score
What we can expect from the new Autel Nano and Nano plus, two small drones that from their specs seem to improve massively on the DJI Mini 2 and will force DJI to react as soon as possible

it's possible it could be a race to the see who launches first, the autel nano or the dji mini 3. I think that would be the more appropriate comparison if the mini 3 even exists (which in all likelihood does). whatever features are in the mini 3 have probably already been decided long ago before the nano was announced and I doubt dji would go back to the mini 3 in response to nano leaks; they don't need to.

I'd guess the majority that purchase Mini2 or Nano are uninformed "Geo Zone" Retail Buyers... a Relatively low cost drone that attracts Casual Consumer most likely go on popularity, strength of market, and shelf display. The last several BestBuy stores I've been in rarely show an Autel product, the few Hobby shops that carry Drones normally dominate display with DJI products.

The Autel EVO 2 (and older platforms) isn't a large market holder to provide Brand preference compared to DJI... again in respect to new Buyers.

Those into the hobby or business know there is an easy, low cost workaround for the Geo Zone issue available for all new DJI platforms if that is a priority.

I'd like to see Autel products succeed, Personally I think they've improved; although currently Autel has other company & Mgmt issues to resolve that may impact success of product more than products themselves.

Last edited:
if I were dji I would prob take notice of what autel was doing in the <250g space. not worried but I would take a personal interest out of curiosity. if I worked at dji and I don't already have one, I would get my hands on a nano and see what it was all about. but I wouldn't pull back a mini3 launch or make any changes to the specs or pricing, etc based on the nano launch. for all we know, the mini3 is already pretty much done and we're moving on to the mini3s which I might now offer in a few different colors (based on the autel launch) but that's about it. there's no need to revisit the strategy or try to compete on specs, etc. if anything dji is simply waiting for autel to take the geofencing plunge so they can say welcome to the club. ;)

I'd guess the majority that purchase Mini2 or Nano are uninformed "Geo Zone" Retail Buyers... a Relatively low cost drone that attracts Casual Consumer most likely go on popularity, strength of market, and shelf display. The last several BestBuy stores I've been in rarely show an Autel product, the few Hobby shops that carry Drones normally dominate display with DJI products.

The Autel EVO 2 (and older platforms) isn't a large market holder to provide Brand preference compared to DJI... again in respect to new Buyers.

Those into the hobby or business know there is an easy, low cost workaround for the Geo Zone issue available for all new DJI platforms if that is a priority.

I'd like to see Autel products succeed, Personally I think they've improved; although currently Autel has other company & Mgmt issues to resolve that may impact success of product more than products themselves.

This is because of bad software...The drones are rock steady, if they had same software as DJI they would kick ***...
But with that poor Autel Explorer and so many bugs inside app that are still not solved, many potential buyers reacted at the negative reviews from Youtube...
I had a lot of questions related to this problem when I have started to work with AUTEL (also work with DJI drones) and in last versions it can be seen an effort from Autel to try and solve some bugs...Hope to see a change in Autel Dev.Team, not only efforts for new drones that will use different soft, but for ones that are expensive as Evo2 Pro and keep having a lack in software.

Reactions: PingSpike
Autel have taken less than 1% of the market from DJI in the last 20 months.

DJI are not worried by anything that Autel do.

It takes time to cut your marketshare, Intel wasnt worried when AMD came out with Zen1 CPUs, now AMD owns the high end mainstream market.
The Nano drones have more features then mini, some collision avoidance, sensitive camera, good battery life [on paper], no geofencing
But they cost more, thats logical since they dont sell as much and have more features

Reactions: PingSpike
Don't get me wrong, I'm a massive Autel fan, you're preaching to the converted :)

But DJI only laugh at what Autel do :confused:

Don't get me wrong, I'm a massive Autel fan, you're preaching to the converted :)

But DJI only laugh at what Autel do :confused:

You right, but if the new models surprise everyone, they will stop laughing, right now its all about the camera and the add-on features in the soft, flying is at similar level to DJI.

It takes time to cut your marketshare, Intel wasnt worried when AMD came out with Zen1 CPUs, now AMD owns the high end mainstream market.
The Nano drones have more features then mini, some collision avoidance, sensitive camera, good battery life [on paper], no geofencing
But they cost more, thats logical since they dont sell as much and have more features
I join ya in specifications and "bang for buck" on the Autel platforms... the Nano & Light look to be very nice product. I'm personally interested in both, plus the EVO2 Ent kit. The majority Consumer of low cost drone isn't aware of that... they hear what the BestBuy SalesRep says... and that's product in house... DJI. Autel needs a better marketing attack and strive to get shelf space in Consumer Eyes.

In the comparison of Intel & AMD, the AMD market has been in the game for years.. and had a few previous market leading Hits years back... there was a "leap frog" of top CPU's for years. Although, they are gaining strength in manufacturers builds. They've also played well in Server options for years. Motorola's CPU's popularity plummeted in similar style, and Intel lost a large market not responding to Apple design requests bringing about the Apple Silicone.

But on a Consumer base, people are looking at "PC Brand" more than internal components... if HP, Acer, Lenovo, etc has a product of interest, most Consumers won't purchase based on CPU... it's Brand, Features, and Price for top reasons to buy! The use of i3 or other subpar Intel CPU still in hardware indicates the lack of priority to the majority Consumer. Apple advertisers the "new" processor as superior to Old model and it motivates Buyers to buy new vs saving $$ on older models... good example of marketing.

I'm with ya, I'd like to see Autel make a substantial dent in DJI market but that will require a lot more than boxed product... the Autel Company needs to correct itself in Mgmt, and advertising & reviews increased and in my small opinion... much more workable with 3rd Party Developers and SDK. If 3rd Party Developers produced Apps addressing focused tools, or features would do lot for the serious Hobbyist and Professional... and as that increased, the popularity would positively impact Consumer market too.

Reactions: SARty and PingSpike
If Autel Explorer app was a Hit and Go, Autel did not even need to be aggressive in promoting it's products, meaning less money for commercials but more money for developing the software.
The whole Autel initiatives were wrong in my opinion, as instead of making a rock solid app that is easy to use and with no bugs, they made a very expensive hardware platform and a low level app, that not even now, after years from launch, does not use the full capacity of the Evo 2 drones.
Was not even needed to get a new hardware as Lite, only Nano was needed...
From what I have seen in general market, the customers use two choices (Pro and usual ones):
- 1 x Pro drone, capable to deliver high quality videos for commercials and projects
- 1 x Small easy-to-carry drone, capable to back-up a Pro in some cases and to be family-friendly for trips.

As the Pro section was having a very good hardware in Evo 2 segment, the small NANO competitor for general public was a MUST.
But...and there is a big BUT...the change of the software and platform, delivering in market a drone (Lite) with 1" sensor and leaving the Evo 2 customers with so many bugs in Autel Explorer App (and no signs of intensive work on it, just messages that they are a little tight in employees) can cause a strong NEGATIVE feedback exactly from the people that should PROMOTE AUTEL = the owners of Autel. Because the not-said feedback from Autel now is: We work on new drones for NEW customers, all current customers can fly away...

So I cannot wonder, how did the Autel management thought this movement ???
With more than 20 years experience in management and marketing, I have serious doubts that somebody from Autel have seen this problem and had the guts to expose it to Top Management.

If Autel Explorer app was a Hit and Go, Autel did not even need to be aggressive in promoting it's products, meaning less money for commercials but more money for developing the software.
The whole Autel initiatives were wrong in my opinion, as instead of making a rock solid app that is easy to use and with no bugs, they made a very expensive hardware platform and a low level app, that not even now, after years from launch, does not use the full capacity of the Evo 2 drones.
Was not even needed to get a new hardware as Lite, only Nano was needed...
From what I have seen in general market, the customers use two choices (Pro and usual ones):
- 1 x Pro drone, capable to deliver high quality videos for commercials and projects
- 1 x Small easy-to-carry drone, capable to back-up a Pro in some cases and to be family-friendly for trips.

As the Pro section was having a very good hardware in Evo 2 segment, the small NANO competitor for general public was a MUST.
But...and there is a big BUT...the change of the software and platform, delivering in market a drone (Lite) with 1" sensor and leaving the Evo 2 customers with so many bugs in Autel Explorer App (and no signs of intensive work on it, just messages that they are a little tight in employees) can cause a strong NEGATIVE feedback exactly from the people that should PROMOTE AUTEL = the owners of Autel. Because the not-said feedback from Autel now is: We work on new drones for NEW customers, all current customers can fly away...

So I cannot wonder, how did the Autel management thought this movement ???
With more than 20 years experience in management and marketing, I have serious doubts that somebody from Autel have seen this problem and had the guts to expose it to Top Management.
It's not Only in-app bugs that made me sell my EVO 2 Pro, it's full of bugs no one addresses - random loss of focus, bad handling of obstacles, prop shadows and flares in-camera, Very bad compression algorithms ruining the clouds ...
That's why I'll try and test Before I buy nano+ as on paper it sounds good, but the reality might differ
And one last thought - why after 28-th of Sep announce there was No single review of nano? It's like it exists only on web site ;)

It's not Only in-app bugs that made me sell my EVO 2 Pro, it's full of bugs no one addresses - random loss of focus, bad handling of obstacles, prop shadows and flares in-camera, Very bad compression algorithms ruining the clouds ...
That's why I'll try and test Before I buy nano+ as on paper it sounds good, but the reality might differ
And one last thought - why after 28-th of Sep announce there was No single review of nano? It's like it exists only on web site ;)
Well, in LOG profile I had no issues on 4K with prop. shadows, also flare looks normal for this FOV....
Loss of focus = it was, but turned out to be a camera malfunction, was changed with new one...also I use manual mode a lot and Focus Lock, Auto Focus can ruin your footage on any drone as most is based on CDAF that suks...
Compression is good from my point (even if I would like 150 MPBS flow), as long as you go a very little underexposed all looks very good, I always look at histogram instead of phone/tablet screen that can be tricky.
Obstacle avoidance...that is...hmmm...never used :))))).... Not at DJI, not at Autel... More than this, if a manufacturer comes to me and says: "We have a drone with a camera with 4/3" CMOS super sensitive, all manual settings, Manual flight mode, no sensors, but battery keeps 50 minutes and is under 1000 USD" = I will be the first to buy it... :) But hey, that is just me...

I just confirmed with one retailer that Nano+ premium bundle will not include ND filters, yet Lite+ will have ND filters in its premium bundle.

It is incorrect because Lite+ has adjustable aperture which doesn’t need ND filters. The Nano+ really need the ND filters instead.

I just confirmed with one retailer that Nano+ premium bundle will not include ND filters, yet Lite+ will have ND filters in its premium bundle.

It is incorrect because Lite+ has adjustable aperture which doesn’t need ND filters. The Nano+ really need the ND filters instead.
Probably will appear asap...let's not forget that Nano is a consumer drone for travels, a potential back-up to Pro drones where you cannot use >250 grams. So I would not worry too much for lack of ND, just use multiple of FPS in SS settings and work with ISO 100-200 to manage the brightness...When you will export the video, just go to Optical Flow mode in Davinci or Premiere, will be fine.

Reactions: Andrew01 and wjc777

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d