Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Autel Evo II Pro 6K photos not zoomed

Isky

Reaction score
When taking a photo zoomed in 2X or 3X my photos arent zoomed at all when I get them off the card into Lightroom. Am I missing something? Is anyone else having this problem?

When taking a photo zoomed in 2X or 3X my photos arent zoomed at all when I get them off the card into Lightroom. Am I missing something? Is anyone else having this problem?
The JPEGs should be saved zoomed in. The RAW files are saved without zooming.... the EVO 2 zoom allows you to frame your subject better, but the uncropped RAW allows you to reframe them latter in post.

The JPEGs should be saved zoomed in. The RAW files are saved without zooming.... the EVO 2 zoom allows you to frame your subject better, but the uncropped RAW allows you to reframe them latter in post.

@Saladshooter is dead on, the zoom in the EVO is not an optical zoom, it is a digital zoom so I personally never use the zooming feature and simply shoot raw and recompose in post. If you want to losslessly zoom, you will simply need to fly the drone closer to the subject.

What is meant by Autel's description of "3x lossless"
Zoom: 1 – 8x (3 x lossless)
The sensor size allows you to get a 3x zoom without loosing visible quality. Think for analogy at a full frame camera that will take pics in APS-C mode...you will see a "zoom" given by the pixels used inside sensor. This is what it means 3x Losseless.
Cheers.

JPEG cropping digitally up to 3x (via overall resolution reduction) I believe.
The sensor size allows you to get a 3x zoom without loosing visible quality. Think for analogy at a full frame camera that will take pics in APS-C mode...you will see a "zoom" given by the pixels used inside sensor. This is what it means 3x Losseless.
Cheers.

Thanks guys. So in other words, it is just a crop of the full sensor? Of course an image can be cropped as much as you want. And, if you just go with the resolution that remains after the crop it is "lossless" because you haven't artificially made it larger. It that is the case, it is rather lame. I guess you have to really be hunting for marketing tag lines to come up with this stuff. Why stop at "3 times". Why not go for "25 times lossless." Of course the resulting image will be a thumbnail, but who cares.

I'm sure they are hoping you infer "lossless" with optical zoom which is typically used to differentiate between digital zoom.

It's more for "spotting" than for taking pictures... I've found the zoom very usefull to target the areas I want to focus on... I never take photos's zoomed... but it's a nice feature for a closer look when needed.

Thanks guys. So in other words, it is just a crop of the full sensor? Of course an image can be cropped as much as you want. And, if you just go with the resolution that remains after the crop it is "lossless" because you haven't artificially made it larger. It that is the case, it is rather lame. I guess you have to really be hunting for marketing tag lines to come up with this stuff. Why stop at "3 times". Why not go for "25 times lossless." Of course the resulting image will be a thumbnail, but who cares.

I'm sure they are hoping you infer "lossless" with optical zoom which is typically used to differentiate between digital zoom.
Think at this:
The size of sensor is for 6K...in terms of "size" of a screen in 6K versus one in 4K, the 6k is larger...according to image attached, imagine that you take in that 6K image (at that size) a 4K image...will be zoomed...You have the quality of 4K, so the quality is not "affected", using the size of 6K sensor...but as I have told you, is like APS-C principle...

Anyway, Zoom is not as requested as 99% of commercial is going to have larger bigger photos....so I always use multiple AEB shots that are combined in Panoramic HDR...3-400Mb a photo, but quality made for large posters.

Attachments

• Android-tv-box-6K-Vs-4K.jpg
    Android-tv-box-6K-Vs-4K.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
It's more for "spotting" than for taking pictures... I've found the zoom very usefull to target the areas I want to focus on... I never take photos's zoomed... but it's a nice feature for a closer look when needed.
Sure. For looking at something or situational awareness while flying it is useful for sure.

Think at this:
The size of sensor is for 6K...in terms of "size" of a screen in 6K versus one in 4K, the 6k is larger...according to image attached, imagine that you take in that 6K image (at that size) a 4K image...will be zoomed...You have the quality of 4K, so the quality is not "affected", using the size of 6K sensor...but as I have told you, is like APS-C principle...

Anyway, Zoom is not as requested as 99% of commercial is going to have larger bigger photos....so I always use multiple AEB shots that are combined in Panoramic HDR...3-400Mb a photo, but quality made for large posters.

Thank you. Yeah, I get it. It is a loss less zoom because you are now getting a loss less "crop" of the full sensor, but you are getting a crop non the less. You can get the same "zoom", loss less crop in post. I think the M2P uses some similar marketing language.

Thank you. Yeah, I get it. It is a loss less zoom because you are now getting a loss less "crop" of the full sensor, but you are getting a crop non the less. You can get the same "zoom", loss less crop in post. I think the M2P uses some similar marketing language.
I always use the JPEG plus RAW setting. It allows me to quickly sort through my photos to see what is worth further processing and it does save the zoomed photos as JPEGS..... I can then go in and crop the RAW to a similar image, but with more or less of the full sensor. It is a letdown that you can't get a true lossless zoom but still useful.

I have yet to figure out how exactly the zoom works on my Air 2S..... it uses some sort of voodoo. If I zoom in on an object in my 4K videos it is much more detailed than cropping on the same object in post. The Air 2S won't zoom in 5.4K mode so my guess is that it is able to use more of the sensor to maintain the quality of image when zooming at lesser reslutions. DJI in their infinite wisdom though, won't give me photo zoom, only video so it is of limited use.

I always use the JPEG plus RAW setting. It allows me to quickly sort through my photos to see what is worth further processing and it does save the zoomed photos as JPEGS..... I can then go in and crop the RAW to a similar image, but with more or less of the full sensor. It is a letdown that you can't get a true lossless zoom but still useful.

I have yet to figure out how exactly the zoom works on my Air 2S..... it uses some sort of voodoo. If I zoom in on an object in my 4K videos it is much more detailed than cropping on the same object in post. The Air 2S won't zoom in 5.4K mode so my guess is that it is able to use more of the sensor to maintain the quality of image when zooming at lesser reslutions. DJI in their infinite wisdom though, won't give me photo zoom, only video so it is of limited use.
Is same principle as APS-C sensor versus Full Frame...
Think at the image above (my post)....now...take the 4k picture and put it over 6K frame...what you get? a 4K zoomed "loosless" image, as your sensor is 6k size for 4K image...same for Full HD...expand it on 6k size...and you get an even bigger image,without using "digital zoom"...
In 5k cannot, as 5k is same size as 6k, same sensor size, no loosless zoom possible as you have the full sensor used as size.
That is what it does.

Reactions: Saladshooter

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy