Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

AUTEL EVO II FIRMWARE UPDATE: Constantly updated ( new V1 STABLE fw 2.7.35) - 28/02/2022 - (NEW V2 STABLE fw 2.3.8 - 19/04/2022)

How does one do a battery update? What happens if you do not update your spare battery? Will the machine still fly with an old battery firmware, or will it automatically be updated or something else?

I didn't see any instructions on what to do with my second battery. I swapped batteries after the firmware upgrade, but it didn't seem to do anything to the second one.

How does one do a battery update? What happens if you do not update your spare battery? Will the machine still fly with an old battery firmware, or will it automatically be updated or something else?

I didn't see any instructions on what to do with my second battery. I swapped batteries after the firmware upgrade, but it didn't seem to do anything to the second one.
I asked the same question in post 172. With DJI, you just update your drone, turn off, put next battery in & turn on and wait, sometimes more than a minute and it will tell you to update. That is not happening with me. Only the battery I did the update with got updated. I’m like you and waiting for someone that knows how to update the other 2 batteries to let us know. I honestly think it will be ok to fly without the battery being updated. I‘ll find out as soon as I have my cup of coffee.

I asked the same question in post 172. With DJI, you just update your drone, turn off, put next battery in & turn on and wait, sometimes more than a minute and it will tell you to update. That is not happening with me. Only the battery I did the update with got updated. I’m like you and waiting for someone that knows how to update the other 2 batteries to let us know. I honestly think it will be ok to fly without the battery being updated. I‘ll find out as soon as I have my cup of coffee.
It's not as easy as the DJI battery updates, unfortunately. I download the .bin file from the Autel site and do the updates that way, rather than over the air. Since the system will delete that file from the SD card at the end of the update you need to pull the card and copy/paste the file back on the SD card for each battery. The battery updates are shorter (only about 3 minutes) to process, rather than the 10 min or so for the aircraft.

You can do this over the air, but will have to wait for the controller to push the data wirelessly, which it very slow.

To make the process more efficient (i have several aircraft and a bunch of batteries) i rotate between 2 SD cards... over and over... =)

It appears they removed 10bit. I tested all settings 6k to 2.7k all frame rates with hdr on/off and color = none/log
H.265
MP4 format

None of the files are 10 bit. It's all 8bit. It used to be 10bit in at least HDR mode.

Submitted ticket to Autel.
Ok, found out the issue. The stupid app flipped to H.264. When I retested with H.265 the 10 bit is per that chart here on the forums. So, all is good just make your to triple check that its on H.265 for recording.

You can fly your Evo with a battery that does not have the latest firmware. It will work just fine. You can update them via SD card or OTA. In the case of OTA, you have to be in the home screen to get the update notification, or at least in my experience. If it doesn't show, just go fly and enjoy until it does.

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
It's not as easy as the DJI battery updates, unfortunately. I download the .bin file from the Autel site and do the updates that way, rather than over the air. Since the system will delete that file from the SD card at the end of the update you need to pull the card and copy/paste the file back on the SD card for each battery. The battery updates are shorter (only about 3 minutes) to process, rather than the 10 min or so for the aircraft.

You can do this over the air, but will have to wait for the controller to push the data wirelessly, which it very slow.

To make the process more efficient (i have several aircraft and a bunch of batteries) i rotate between 2 SD cards... over and over... =)
Yes, seems pretty straight forward and it is, it just doesn’t always work that way. After my initial update, the .bin file did not delete (see post 172) so I deleted it and copied the same file to the sd card. Tried to do the battery update and each time on the controller it said it had failed and to do a forced update next time. OK I will except no one knows how to do a forced battery update. I think this is where several of us are sitting right now.
I did just get back from flying and you can fly without updating the batteries. I would just like to be able to do so.

Last edited:
I’m having gimbal errors - do not fly since the update. Did over the air at first, then downloaded the bin file and manually updated all including the 4 batteries. Still same gimbal error.

I only get this when it’s on the ground, once I take off - the error goes away.

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
Yes, seems pretty straight forward and it is, it just doesn’t always work that way. After my initial update, the .bin file did not delete (see post 172) so I deleted it and copied the same file to the sd card. Tried to do the battery update and each time on the controller it said it had failed and to do a forced update next time. OK I will except no one knows how to do a forced battery update. I think this is where several of us are sitting right now.
I did just get back from flying and you can fly without updating the batteries. I would just like to be able to do so.
Try re-binding the remote to the aircraft if it fails like that. I’ve found that re-binding fixes the errors about forced updates.

I typically re-bind the RC after every full FW update on the aircraft and after any FW on the LiveDeck.

I’m having gimbal errors - do not fly since the update. Did over the air at first, then downloaded the bin file and manually updated all including the 4 batteries. Still same gimbal error.

Run a gimbal recalibration? (And Compass / IMU)

After installing the latest update, the remote control did not seem to update, only the aircraft (and I guess one battery). Remote still shows:
remote control: 2.0.2.0
RC Panel 3.0.5.0
remote control image transmission 1.1.1.18

Which are older versions. I suppose I can copy the file to the SD card and try again but are there any other suggestions?

I have same error. I try downgrade to previous version and message disappeared, but error appears again if i update to 2.5.11 version again.

I run a gimbal recalibration and IMU, I didn't have a chance to calibrate compass yet.

The IMU calibration works fine. The problem people are having I believe is two things. First the thing that says "Calibration Starting" is button you have to push. The button should say "Start Calibration". That's an error in the application that you'd think someone would have noticed before rolling it out. Second, the picture it shows of how to orient the copter at each step is useless. I found it to be the opposite actually. I had to screw around with which way to hold it until it accepted it.

Reactions: skipper1
The gimbal calibration doesn't seem to fix the horizon angle. I'm sure it is doing something meaningful behind the scenes and it is a good thing to do. But the horizon is still off by minus 1-2 degrees usually. I set the gimbal adjustment to +2 and it is better. I don't have time to keep screwing around with it further in that regard. Adjusting the angle in post is just something I do by default an I've resigned to accept this.

Reactions: Seated_Perspectives
I don't remember if I ever did batteries upgrade, she flies fine without :)
Currently on the latest beta.

Reactions: skipper1

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwoody