Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Anyone ever tried flying on an embedded device?

Stillers

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried to run the app and fly on a single board computer running Android? Considering giving this a shot but would like some first hand knowledge before I spend the money on it.

You can largely forget about this function.
Sure, you can run the app on a mobile phone through an android simulator but
1) You will have no google map and video camera feedback.
2) you will not have any piloting functions for your drone.
If the manufacturer has created a radio control with joysticks and small buttons, it is to send maneuver orders to the aircraft by the two small antennas on the radio and this on a specific coding sequence between the radio and the drone. and only these two elements can be understood. Not a computer, which has no digital signal transmission function.

You can largely forget about this function.
Sure, you can run the app on a mobile phone through an android simulator but
1) You will have no google map and video camera feedback.
2) you will not have any piloting functions for your drone.
If the manufacturer has created a radio control with joysticks and small buttons, it is to send maneuver orders to the aircraft by the two small antennas on the radio and this on a specific coding sequence between the radio and the drone. and only these two elements can be understood. Not a computer, which has no digital signal transmission function.
I don't think you understand what Im saying. Every cell phone and tablet thats currently used to fly does so with an embedded Single Board Computer. All im wanting to do is trim the fat and cut the middle man and run on an android 10 powered "device" that is dedicated specifically to flight ops with no other function except those required to also run Google Play, which is fully supported on single board computers and will output to a nice and wide, rich 17 inch 4k touchscreen instead of a 7 inch or 10 inch dinky *** screen. It will interface with the drone remote control and the drone via USB connection no different than it does with any phone and the manufacturer delivered remote control will still be sending and recieving any and all comms with the drone. Im not so much concerned with whether or not I can build such a device. I have seen such devices largely functioning that others have built. But cant find any instance of someone using one to fly. My primary concern is 1)The device ID as I know for fact that the AE App does check the device ID and is only approved for download onto certain devices. and 2)That there is an element of the communication protocol that Im unaware of and cant account for that will prohibit the RC from linking. Had this problem before. But largely, this is doable as until earlier this year, I was doing something similar to this by using a Newline X10D Box to run the app and connected it to my monitor. It, sadly, stopped linking after an app update most likely due to the X10D running Android 6.0.

Oh. and BTW. Theres any one number of manufactured command cases on the market that come with their own software and even some with a custom single pilot joystick to fly drones with. They all seem to communicate fine with full functionability even tho they arent using the manufacturer app or the manufacturer joystick. You should go tell them that they're missing the two elements necessary to fly and should forget about it. They didnt seem to get that memo.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58