Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Antennas up or down?

Scruffy

Reaction score
This may have been covered before, but should the antennas be up or down on the controller? I am using the Lifthor with an ipad mini and the antennas are real close to the metal of the Lifthor.... and possibly cause interference or compromise the signal.... so I plan to have the antennas pointing down, parallel. any comments? Regards.... Ron

Reactions: PingSpike
Autel says to position them down, but you could try them in any position. As long as it remains connected is what matters. I have used them in both up and down positions.

always run mine down to down +45 up as range and height increase. Max flight range to date ~4800ft, zero signal/image loss

Reactions: MNT DRONE SOLUTIONS
My limited knowledge of radial or single axial antennas, is that they do not shoot out the end like a rifle. Rather, aim them like a Knight's shield towards the craft as best you can. Your overall situation will determine if up or down is best. For example, flying straight overhead, and holding your controller relatively flat/horizontal, you would have your antennas flat in relation to the ground. Keep the long side of the antenna 90 degrees from the craft. And, unless you have some sort of reflective or directional add-on, there isn't a top, bottom or side to the two fold out antennas on the controller.

My limited knowledge of radial or single axial antennas, is that they do not shoot out the end like a rifle. Rather, aim them like a Knight's shield towards the craft as best you can. Your overall situation will determine if up or down is best. For example, flying straight overhead, and holding your controller relatively flat/horizontal, you would have your antennas flat in relation to the ground. Keep the long side of the antenna 90 degrees from the craft. And, unless you have some sort of reflective or directional add-on, there isn't a top, bottom or side to the two fold out antennas on the controller.
Nice analogies! :D

I believe the antenna radiates a conical shape, the biggest problem, as the images show, the antenna is butted up to a giant noise source when in the "up" position, rendering part of the radiated energy less effective or useless.

Taaadaaaahh....Problem solved! LOL You will definitely get more range with them down though. I use the 4Hawks for penetration in high noise environments.

Attachments

• 4Hawks.jpg
    4Hawks.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
When aircraft is more overhead I put one of the antennas down flight, if getting weak or bad signals, then put both flat. When aircraft further away, tilt the antennas upward keeping antennas pointed towards where aircraft is. Also have found tilting controller towards self to get more upright angle on antenna has helped when aircraft further away. Also remember to put phone/tablet into airplane mode when flying as have found that to reduce bad signals.

The RF field is actually like a doughnut shape. The best transmission is straight out perpendicular to the antenna, the worst is out the top and bottom of the antenna. Up or down does not matter.... just as long as they are as perpendicular to the aircraft as possible. If up, then you might need a modified tablet holder since the antenna may hit the tablet.

Reactions: gschulzuio
The RF field is actually like a doughnut shape. The best transmission is straight out perpendicular to the antenna, the worst is out the top and bottom of the antenna. Up or down does not matter.... just as long as they are as perpendicular to the aircraft as possible. If up, then you might need a modified tablet holder since the antenna may hit the tablet.
Yup, thats where have found tilting the controller up and towards you gives more angle with the upright antennas. Donut shape analogy works well, think of the ends of the flat blades of the antenna (not the tips, or the slim narrow sides) as pointing out and into the center of the donut hole with the aircraft in the donut shape area.

Also revisited the Evo II manual, and the diagram is a bit misleading as it is easy to perceive the antennas as being down, flat, parallel to the ground vs being up, perpendicular to the ground.

I believe the antenna radiates a conical shape, the biggest problem, as the images show, the antenna is butted up to a giant noise source when in the "up" position, rendering part of the radiated energy less effective or useless.
I don't think proximity to the phone or tablet will affect outgoing signal. But it might make it more susceptible to noise that interferes with the signal from the drone, although I doubt it is a significant problem.

I assume the radiation pattern is such that the signal is strongest along radials around the pole as is typical for an omni. It is not a yagi. With another drone (a Fimi), I've flown with one antenna vertical and the other horizontal to improve performance when overhead. Seems to work, but with the Autel I don't have a problem to overcome and I just keep them down (vertical). I do not suspect that the controller is using the two antennae for beam steering.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58