Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Another review of Autel EVO 2 Series Drone 48MP 8K

I think for the camera and sensors... $1445 it's the right price for this drone.

As soon as I saw it the spec sheet — 48MP on a 1/2” sensor, I thought it probably was similar tech-trickery to some Android phones that offered 24-36MP cameras. Image quality depends on much more than MP, it’s why the latest iPhones 11 Pro’s are very competitive image-wise w/12MP.

The 24MP A7 Samsung phone camera I tried a yr. ago generated a TON of noise in shadow areas with little detail. In low light it was worse. In bright light it looked very good, but photos when enlarged didn’t match their file-size in detail quality. I noticed Samsung’s S10 is back to 12/16MP, and they’ve improved every other part of the imaging system. Hmmmmm.

I’m hoping Autel pulled this off better than Samsung, or else the base model will not perform nearly as well image-wise as folks expect when you advertise 48MP — just as he says.

I’m disappointed Autel would do this... Yea, they’ve shown they can get the max quality out of their chosen imagers, but without a major tech breakthrough, physics is physics...

The only Evo 2 I’m consider is the 1” sensor model, and damn, it’s pricey...

Reactions: Rubik3x
Me? Don't care if there is "trickery" or not. I want one. If the 8K model camera proves to be not so great, I will upgrade the camera when the 1" becomes available.
I am done with DJI and their restrictions. DONE I TELL YOU!
and I just so happen to work for NLD - NoLimitDronez...that should tell you something about the DJI drones.
30+ minute flight time.
As far as the camera goes...as long as it is nice and sharp in video, along with a high bit rate, good color and can be edited, I'm sold.
Take my money.
My wife? Hah! She can wear slippahs....or bare feet while I am out flying the Evo 2. Howzit bruddah....shaka...LOL!

*one more thing. The video linked? DJI fan boi. Just look at his playlist of videos. I expect nothing less from a DJI worshiper.
He says, binning and line skipping are perfectly legitimate, but using a bayer filter and this tech, My gosh...Autel is scamming everyone. What a tool.

**one more, one more thing. We have seen things in DJI firmware that will make your head spin. Trust me on this one. DJI is not a company you can trust at all.
They do some very under handed things, while at the same time, making outstanding drones. Lets hope Autel doesn't fall into this trap.

Last edited:
Me? Don't care if there is "trickery" or not. I want one. If the 8K model camera proves to be not so great, I will upgrade the camera when the 1" becomes available.
and I just so happen to work for NLD - NoLimitDronez...that should tell you something about the DJI drones.
30+ minute flight time.
As far as the camera goes...as long as it is nice and sharp in video, along with a high bit rate, good color and can be edited, I'm sold.
Take my money.
My wife? Hah! She can wear slippahs....or bare feet while I am out flying the Evo 2. Howzit bruddah....shaka...LOL!

*one more thing. The video linked? DJI fan boi. Just look at his playlist of videos. I expect nothing less from a DJI worshiper.
He says, binning and line skipping are perfectly legitimate, but using a bayer filter and this tech, My gosh...Autel is scamming everyone. What a tool.

**one more, one more thing. We have seen things in DJI firmware that will make your head spin. Trust me on this one. DJI is not a company you can trust at all.
They do some very under handed things, while at the same time, making outstanding drones. Lets hope Autel doesn't fall into this trap.
Nope, sorry, you’re only allowed one more, one more thing.... :)

Most folks here distrust DJI, hate GeoFencing, that’s why it’s an Autel Forum. If you’re willing to pay $400 extra for a “8k” camera that’s not really 8k, go for it. Yea, it has more sensors and longer flight time, but I want to see a side-by-side comparison with the Evo 1 @4k/60. If it’s not significantly better, I’ll wait for a test with the 1” sensor. Why pay for an 8k camera that’s not worthy?, that you might replace later with the 1”? (It won’t be cheap as a stand-alone upgrade)...

Notice the 1” is only 6k, b/c it’s really 6k....

Reactions: TravisPNW
Nope, sorry, you’re only allowed one more, one more thing.... :)

Most folks here distrust DJI, hate GeoFencing, that’s why it’s an Autel Forum. If you’re willing to pay $400 extra for a “8k” camera that’s not really 8k, go for it. Yea, it has more sensors and longer flight time, but I want to see a side-by-side comparison with the Evo 1 @4k/60. If it’s not significantly better, I’ll wait for a test with the 1” sensor. Why pay for an 8k camera that’s not worthy?, that you might replace later with the 1”? (It won’t be cheap as a stand-alone upgrade)...

Notice the 1” is only 6k, b/c it’s really 6k....
You forgot to add that apart from the camera and sensors. For those looking for a skydio 2 competitor. The Evo 2 appears to offer the same feature as the skydio 2. I saw a video in which the Evo 2 followed a guy in bike in a tougher and stretched environment and the Evo 2 with the sensors was able to take the correct and logical path by itself without crashing.

Yep, read all the specs, and know full well what it is and isn't. Don't forget I have an Evo 1 too... :)
Do I NEED the Evo 2? Nope. Do I WANT one? Yep. I have a big drone budget, and will NOT be spending it on DJI products ever again.
Will it be less pricey to wait for the 1", rather than upgrading the 8k? Probably, but it may turn out that I won't want it. Will see.

Reactions: Drgnfli
You forgot to add that apart from the camera and sensors. For those looking for a skydio 2 competitor. The Evo 2 appears to offer the same feature as the skydio 2. I saw a video in which the Evo 2 followed a guy in bike in a tougher and stretched environment and the Evo 2 with the sensors was able to take the correct and logical path by itself without crashing.

Your mixing up fully autonomous with 4 K cameras which the Skydio 2 is and has compared to the EVO 2 obstacle avoidance sensors. Apples & Oranges I'm afraid.

Your mixing up fully autonomous with 4 K cameras which the Skydio 2 is and has compared to the EVO 2 obstacle avoidance sensors. Apples & Oranges I'm afraid.
Did you saw the video that I am talking about? it was fully autonomous... looks like the Evo 2 has the capability of work autonomously.

30+ minute flight time.
Take my money.

Please tell your bosses to work harder for the P4P v2.0!
20200114_161327.png

Reactions: Quad808
No, do you have a video link?
It's on the main page site of Autel Evo 2 series. See the video there when the guy is on the bike... He is not using the controller, it's like a follow me but better than ever.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy