Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Another EVO Promo

Sensational footage again. The turtles didn't look stressed at all - they probably thought it was a relative on a flying visit.

All footage shot on Autel Robotics EVO
4k60p (final output at 24fps)
H.265
LOG color profile
PolarPro ND Filters
Edited using Adobe Premiere CC

Much better video in all respects, great footage, well edited.
In Hawaii and Florida, they’d be in jail, hefty fine. They shot the turtle footage in Costa Rico because they could. I’d be surprised if this video survives social media for that reason...

I actually know something about noise pollution vs wildlife being from Hawaii. I assisted the Dir. of Volcano National Park try to limit helicopter noise pollution. Nesting Ne’ne’s, the state bird, are critically endangered. Drones are already illegal in the park, but the sad truth is the FAA practically ignores helicopter noise pollution nation-wide to this day...

All wildlife is stressed by drones, helicopters, or anything that makes a sound in a frequency creatures are unused to hearing. All they hear is danger — having super-sensitive hearing as a matter of survival. Threatening sound changes or thwarts feeding, mating & migration. Go back and look at the not-too-stunning desert Autel video, the mountain goats/sheep are terrified and stampeding at the sound of the Evo, which isn’t too loud. I’ve had cattle freak-out at the sound of a drone at 400’. Can you imagine what a helicopter at 70db+ does to wildlife?

The turtle footage is inexcusable, criminal in most places.
Underwater, I can’t stop turtles from swimming right next to me, they are very curious beasts. On land, nesting/resting areas are cordoned-off, illegal to get close.

• It is against the law to touch or disturb nesting sea turtles, hatchlings, or their nests. Sea turtles are protected by both the Federal Endangered Species Act and the Florida Marine Protection Act.

Last edited:
It really was not necessary to have in the video. The rest of the video looked great so why add something that will piss people off?
What if the EVO had a hardware failure and crashed into one of them, cutting a fleshly part of the turtle. We all have seen what those blades can do to human skin. Is the promo so important that they have to fly over endangered turtles? I think not.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
I'm as protective of animals as most but I found that my cat wasn't fazed by my EVO at 10ft and the horses in the field next door didn't stop grazing at 30ft. I consider myself a good judge of turtle demeanour and can say with some authority that these turtles weren't at all bothered by their visitor. I would guess that our Autel videographers took the advice of an even greater turtle expert before filming them. Do you have any reason to think they didn't?

I consider myself a good judge of turtle demeanour and can say with some authority that these turtles weren't at all bothered by their visitor.
How on earth could you possibly say that? It’s utterly absurd. You are no more an authority on “turtle demeanor” than you are on your cat’s demeanor. Some authority? Have you ever worked with wildlife experts?

I’ve helped crews film sea turtles nesting in Hawaii. No drones, camouflaged mini cams remotely triggered — all set-up before they arrive. Once nesting starts, it rare anyone is allowed to get within 50’.

Don't be ridiculous. Hard to believe you both took the bait. I live in the middle of England and I've never seen a sea turtle, nor even visited the Pacific or Caribbean. Me an expert on turtle demeanour??? How could anyone swallow that?

Just bored of you guys hijacking threads about EVO videography with any kind of off-topic stuff you can find to jump on. How about discussing the merits of 24fps vs 30fps vs 50fps vs 60fps? How about commenting on the camerawork? Or the likely drone speed? Or the smooth motion? Or how miraculous the EVO lens is?

No? Thought not.

Don't be ridiculous. Hard to believe you both took the bait. I live in the middle of England and I've never seen a sea turtle, nor even visited the Pacific or Caribbean. Me an expert on turtle demeanour??? How could anyone swallow that?

Just bored of you guys hijacking threads about EVO videography with any kind of off-topic stuff you can find to jump on. How about discussing the merits of 24fps vs 30fps vs 50fps vs 60fps? How about commenting on the camerawork? Or the likely drone speed? Or the smooth motion? Or how miraculous the EVO lens is?

No? Thought not.

This was my post and never said anything bad about the EVO or the rest of the video that did not include the turtles so who is hijacking posts? You are a piece if work first you start posting on the Yuneec forum trashing the 1 inch sensor camera and then you come here pucking out how big of an expert you ore on cameras. You want some respect start giving it to people that have been around a lot longer then you.
I'm done with you.
:mad:

We talk about that stuff all the time. We just haven’t gotten that old-time Evo religion. Not enough Watney’s Red Barrel I guess. Miraculous lens? Smooth motion? Sensational/stunning/whatever ____ footage?

Compared to what?

Reactions: Tufargon
At least a drone is not as bad as a human trudging thru the sand past numerous turtles and nests to get up close photos. Should be only for the professional videographers, however, to share the scenes on nature documentaries, even promote their protection.
It very well could be equally bad — there are too many variables to accurately say which is worse, both are bad. Even professionals are restricted and supervised, only using approved approaches and techniques to minimize impact. Even if the drone was virtually silent, the moving shadow could spook them too...

Just my 2 cents... I bet the turtles are just fine. Can't be any worse than a National Geographic camera being shoved up their rear as they're trying to lay eggs.

I didn't see anything that looked like they were bothering them any. I think they will be just fine.

Dang guys... No turtles were harmed in the making of the video. Mentally or physically. I'm no marine biologist by no means. I just repair PWCs and fly drones.
I'm an animal lover I reckon. I even find myself walking out of my way as to not disturb a sleeping cat or dog.
Laws have gotten crazy stupid in the past, I will agree. Just live with it and move on. I may break a law every once in a while, but I know when the limit is reached. :)
All is good!

Reactions: Apollo11capcom
Not wanting to piss anybody off, I completely disagree. Laws are crazy stupid because several kinds of sea turtles (like these) are endangered or species of concern. Poaching is rampant outisde the USA, turtle meat is in high demand. I’ve worked with pros in Hawaii shooting all-aspects of turtle life. I’ve done underwater turtle work myself. The precautions taken are extraordinary. The tiny Sony video camera is in my hand, no sticks or poles. I dress in black, no flippers, no sudden movements. Turtles are curious, and can get very close. At 50-60+lbs it’s spooky.

The cameras used to shoot egg-laying are incredibly small, the size of a pencil tip, and pre-placed before the turtles get there. Sometimes they’re carefully moved (from a distance, laying on your stomach in camo gear) since they’re long fiber-optics cables. State Wildlife folks supervise everything.

If spooked in any way, nesting sea turtles escape to the sea before laying eggs. They may not come back that season. If they had time to lay eggs they might not finish burying them properly — an easy meal for birds, rats & mongooses. If hatchlings get spooked, they often head inland and die. Sea Gulls love them, just making it into the sea is the trek of their life.

No one should fly drones over nesting anything — sea turtles, Nene’s (endangered Hawaiian duck), or the even rarer Hawaiian monk seal that gives live birth in shallow, calm inlets. This EVO flight was not a good thing to publicize even if “no turtle was harmed” (which is impossible to know). It will give others the idea it’s OK to do this... It isn’t...

A0990D51-21B2-4006-AF43-E0952C226AF1.jpeg

Last edited:
Laws are crazy stupid because there are crazy stupid people that don't give a crap. That is not directed to anyone here nor was that mentioned to offend anyone anywhere directly. Just a proven fact.

I like turtles and most every other mammal on earth and going by the video, I don't think the turtles paid any attention to the drone. For all we know, they could have been 300ft high and using 2 or 3X zoom.
That's all I'm saying about that.

It really was not necessary to have in the video. The rest of the video looked great so why add something that will piss people off?
What if the EVO had a hardware failure and crashed into one of them, cutting a fleshly part of the turtle. We all have seen what those blades can do to human skin. Is the promo so important that they have to fly over endangered turtles? I think not.

My thoughts exactly. Want a drone, have a drone, like drones or hate them...

I could have said it better. Dumb risky marketing move on Autels part. They should spend less time making these videos and instead have one of their reps live on this forum, asking US what we want to see in the next version if there is one.

Laws are crazy stupid because there are crazy stupid people that don't give a crap. That is not directed to anyone here nor was that mentioned to offend anyone anywhere directly. Just a proven fact.

I like turtles and most every other mammal on earth and going by the video, I don't think the turtles paid any attention to the drone. For all we know, they could have been 300ft high and using 2 or 3X zoom.
That's all I'm saying about that.

comedy-wildlife-photography-awards-winners-2017-9-5a33d73c56747__880_InPixio.jpg

Maybe start here,
What Would You Say If We Told You Sea Turtles Could Talk?
and don't stop there. There is a ton of information out there that makes your statements so wrong. Autel had no reason to be any where near there other then to make a profit from an Endangered species.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials