Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

amazing in wind.... how to setup the exponential

palo34

Reaction score
flew my autel evo lite plus the winds had guts of about 40 mph, and it handled it fine. Autel did a very good job with the drone, just the handling I can't find settings to make it more like DJI, the exponential, on gimbal and remote hard to setup.... if you have good settings let me know.

flew my autel evo lite plus the winds had guts of about 40 mph, and it handled it fine. Autel did a very good job with the drone, just the handling I can't find settings to make it more like DJI, the exponential, on gimbal and remote hard to setup.... if you have good settings let me know.

I recommend you just learn how it flies and fly it with its default settings. The only setting I ever change with drones is the gimbal tilt speed since the default speed is way too fast for smooth video. Instead of trying to get it to fly like something its not, just learn to control it the way it is. You might be surprised at how quickly muscle memory takes over with a little practice.

I have flown many different types of flying "things" sometimes even mulitple drones for the same job within the same day, never had a problem mentally adjusting to the flight characteristics of each and its far easier than tinkering with controller settings each time.

Reactions: Michael O
I recommend you just learn how it flies and fly it with its default settings. The only setting I ever change with drones is the gimbal tilt speed since the default speed is way too fast for smooth video. Instead of trying to get it to fly like something its not, just learn to control it the way it is. You might be surprised at how quickly muscle memory takes over with a little practice.

I have flown many different types of flying "things" sometimes even mulitple drones for the same job within the same day, never had a problem mentally adjusting to the flight characteristics of each and its far easier than tinkering with controller settings each time.
Good advice! I flew my Mavic Air and 2 Pro for a few years before getting the Lite+. I’ve been flying it without changing any of the settings the OP mentioned (except gimbal settings), and it was quite easy to learn to fly it smoothly. I mostly fly in smooth mode.

Reactions: herein2021
Good advice! I flew my Mavic Air and 2 Pro for a few years before getting the Lite+. I’ve been flying it without changing any of the settings the OP mentioned (except gimbal settings), and it was quite easy to learn to fly it smoothly. I mostly fly in smooth mode.

Another thing people don't realize is if they start turning down settings it will affect the drone's flight characteristics in all situations including when it is windy; if you turn them down too far you could lose the drone one day because its top speed/wind fighting capability has been diminished by one of the settings.

I do the same thing with my regular photography and video cameras. Online there's tons of YT videos on how to customize your cameras buttons and layouts for the best settings; to me its just extra work vs learning how that particular camera works and if the settings ever get reset you are starting all over again. The only things I set up are a few configuration parameters like resolution, framerate, etc. and the Favorites menu for the settings I need to change and thats it.

Reactions: ethelsnakes
Try flying AGAINST a 40mph wind and you won't make it home. I just flew with a 30mph wind a long way out but knew the drone would be up against that wind on the way back. Turned back at 70% battery and she never made it home. Had to walk about a half mile to grab it. She flew back no faster than about 12mph and the speeds really fluctuated. My mini 3 Pro is much better against the wind. I think the Lite+ is awful in any kind of wind

Try flying AGAINST a 40mph wind and you won't make it home. I just flew with a 30mph wind a long way out but knew the drone would be up against that wind on the way back. Turned back at 70% battery and she never made it home. Had to walk about a half mile to grab it. She flew back no faster than about 12mph and the speeds really fluctuated. My mini 3 Pro is much better against the wind. I think the Lite+ is awful in any kind of wind

Try flying against that same wind over open ocean, there's no coming back. I treat wind with the utmost respect, anything over 25mph constant wind and I keep my EVO II within a few hundred feet of me. The wind resistance ratings are very overrated, for one thing they don't specify if the rating is for a headwind, tailwind, or crosswind; even a crosswind can easily keep you from returning to the home point.

Another thing people do is get too confident in their drone's wind handling ability without paying attention to the difference between wind gusts and constant wind. In places like FL around open ocean the wind speeds are frequently constant, meaning you don't get slight breaks to make progress back to the home point; with gusts you can typically work your way through some pretty strong gusts because they don't last long.

My toughest job to date involving wind was a 7 mile round trip job over open ocean with a constant 20mph wind and gusts up to 30mph. Fortunately, it was a tailwind heading out and a headwind heading back but the EVO II did handle it quite well and I landed with around 40% battery remaining. A crosswind would have been worse since the battery would have been equally taxed in both directions.

Reactions: cturtle97
yeah, I tested the drone staying in the same position... the other day, about 30 mph, which my mini pro handles like nothing... It was doing about 10 km/h.... luckily I was not very far, still took couple of minutes.. Big disappointment there, just like the EVO 1 I had.... I was in colombia, the other day, and some days I could not even fly it, because, the altitudes, and my lack of confidence.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hippo35