Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Altitude loss in ludicrous mode

goferfan

Reaction score
Flew a bunch in ludicrous mode today and noticed that the Evo rapidly lost altitude when I was flying at full speed. Kept losing altitude even with left stick full up, I had to slow way down to regain altitude. Anyone else notice this?

That's not good. There is a YouTube video of someone losing their Evo in water due to this issue. I brought up a list of issues to Autel before buying, which I haven't done yet. One of them was drastic altitude loss in Ludicrous mode. While other issues are apparently being addressed, I don't think this Ludicrous issue is. When I inquired about it, I was told that you have to be careful and only turn on this mode if you have a lot of room beneath you. Not the answer I was looking for but my gut says it's not a priority of theirs, at least not for now. I doubt I would ever fly in this mode but your observations seem to coincide with what others are experiencing. I pilots best friend is altitude. I'd stay away from this mode. Video becomes noticeably jerky as well and you lose all obstacle avoidance.

Reactions: goferfan
That's not good. There is a YouTube video of someone losing their Evo in water due to this issue. I brought up a list of issues to Autel before buying, which I haven't done yet. One of them was drastic altitude loss in Ludicrous mode. While other issues are apparently being addressed, I don't think this Ludicrous issue is. When I inquired about it, I was told that you have to be careful and only turn on this mode if you have a lot of room beneath you. Not the answer I was looking for but my gut says it's not a priority of theirs, at least not for now. I doubt I would ever fly in this mode but your observations seem to coincide with what others are experiencing. I pilots best friend is altitude. I'd stay away from this mode. Video becomes noticeably jerky as well and you lose all obstacle avoidance.

I tried it again today and had no altitude loss... Held altitude just fine and video was steady. I'll keep trying and let you know what happens.

Reactions: Gfd1182
In this video, Alejandro form Autel says it's normal to lose altitude in ludicrous mode when flying into a headwind. At least I know it's not just me...

Drive down the road in your car at 45 and hold your hand out the window at that angle and you can understand how much downward pressure is being applied to the drone.

I don't buy that argument. My mavic pro is parameter modded to 60degrees AoA and it doesn't lose altitude. The FC should be backing off the power a little to maintain altitude, or at least autel give us the option to maintain altitude at the expense of some top end speed. If the pilot wants the extra speed, can simply lower the altitude to pickup if fighting a headwind.

This feature or condition can very easily catch new pilots out into a costly mistake, especially those who like to fly low.

I own a Bebop 2, Typhoon H, and Evo and when you kick them into a full tilt boogie you have to apply stick to keep it in level flight. Basic laws of flight.

I think many people who have no knowledge of lift & thrust assume the firmware allows the user to "drive" a drone instead of fly a drone. These are aircraft and respond as such.

It's the same state of mind I have to switch to after riding my sno-go and hopping back in the truck. Different type of vehicles - different rules. Not harping on anyone.

Reactions: bseasmd and macoman

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hakles