Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Adding EVO accessories

Catweazle

Reaction score
Evening all.

Being that US drone flyers are registered by weight E.G more than 250 grams(.55 lbs) for instance. What happens when you start adding bells and whistles to an EVO ( elongated legs, recently released Xmas lights, flying out to sea with a hook line and sinker attached etc). As the EVO kicks in at 863 grams (1.90 lbs) what would be the cost of registering it ?. Would US drone flyers in the US need to report weight variations to their drone?

Federal law requires all drones operated under 14 CFR Part 107 to be registered. The limited statutory exception for recreation requires registration of all aircraft weighing more than .55 pound (250 grams). It must weight less then 55 pounds. You are not charged extra for any added weight. You could how ever void your warranty by adding 3rd party addon's If you are a Part 107 flyer you could get into trouble for adding anything that puts your UAV in danger. I guess that could also go for recreation flyers if it was found you did something to your UAV to cause damage or an injury.

Thanks Augustine. I,m reading some Aussie government speak that CASA registration weight may be set at up to 2kg. Doesn't give the EVO much leeway for additions, although I,m still interested in the elongated matching legs.
I also think it will be a very long time before night flying is allowed here.

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
Ya here in Canada before June 1st 2019 we could not fly at night. After the new rules came into effect we are now able to fly at night as long as we have lights. Personally I don't enjoy night flying. These small cameras don't do well in low light so whats the point.

Thanks Augustine. I,m reading some Aussie government speak that CASA registration weight may be set at up to 2kg. Doesn't give the EVO much leeway for additions, although I,m still interested in the elongated matching legs.
I also think it will be a very long time before night flying is allowed here.
Get your RePL, if you haven’t already got one, before it becomes harder to obtain. FYI, I have the ‘matching legs’ (only in case I want to hang a 360 camera) and a pair of Firehouse Tech Arc 2 lights to aid visibility in less than ideal conditions. Night flying is only allowed here by special waiver, but I don’t think you would get one without at least six rotors.

Thanks for the leg up Nightbat. Will order the legs and check out the lights. I won,t bother with the waiver unless I start delivering pizzas

Reactions: Nightbat2
Heck! It's a no no to the extender legs!.. Did all the the ordering stuff. Then the bubble burst at the shipping cost which was US14.00) economy. Only 3 bucks less than the legs cost.!!.
Then came the conversion. All up it was costing $AU45.00 for four bits of plastic. It is the cheapest material on the planet!!

Reactions: Nightbat2
Heck! It's a no no to the extender legs!.. Did all the the ordering stuff. Then the bubble burst at the shipping cost which was US14.00) economy. Only 3 bucks less than the legs cost.!!.
Then came the conversion. All up it was costing $AU45.00 for four bits of plastic. It is the cheapest material on the planet!!
If you know someone with 3D printer, there are “recipes” to be found on the net. The lFirehouse ztechnology strobe lights are a different story.

Being the type of guy that likes to be a DIY type of guy I would try to get some PVC pipe and use a heat gun to mold it to the shape of the legs. :D

Got me thinking now Augustine, Was cruising my local hardware hangout today for ideas. Penny just dropped. Might try something in the way of 19mm pop up garden sprinkler poly pipe as well as the end cap for landing feet:)

I’m going to try to teach myself to hand catch. The more I fly, the more I see how useful it is for many locations. It is a good alternative to low clearance situations, but depending on what you are loading it may not suffice in leu of keg extensions.

Practising hand catching could come in useful when you walk into a noisy bar and signal to the barman " 3 beers and 2 shorts" !!.

• Haha
Reactions: DanielC
Does anyone know what the lengths of the front and rear EVO leg extenders are? Cheers.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58