Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

2 Laptops- Which is better?

Editing video on a laptop will be a painful experience, they overheat easy and throttle down with non of the promised performance left.
Go for nvidia, due to their better encoding / decoding performance.

Editing video on a laptop will be a painful experience, they overheat easy and throttle down with non of the promised performance left.
Go for nvidia, due to their better encoding / decoding performance.

Well I thought about a desktop but then the ease of transport of a laptop sounds good.

I may try a desktop...wish I could make one portable.

I will nearly always recommend NVIDIA over AMD when it comes to video editing.
Well I thought about a desktop but then the ease of transport of a laptop sounds good.

I may try a desktop...wish I could make one portable.

I agree with @rcee I would never recommend a laptop for video editing. The screens are way too small to properly set up video editing software, they have subpar video cards no matter how much you spend, you will need to outfit them with monitors, mice, external storage, etc, and the video cards are not upgradeable so as new GPU features and capabilities are released you are stuck in that moment in time when you bought the laptop.

I don't know what your budget is or how serious you are about getting into video editing or what types of video footage you plan on editing (drone only, mirrorless, cinema, etc) or how important mobility is to you.

If you plan on living out of hotels and travelling the world then obviously a laptop is your only option. But if you are mostly stationary with a few trips here and there a desktop is a far better option. If you are very serious about video production and plan on shooting, editing, and delivering professionally, you will need a desktop and to properly set it up you are looking at easily over $3000.

Your video editor makes a big difference as well, if you plan on using Davinci Resolve then the GPU is more important, if you plan on using PP then the CPU and to a lesser extent the GPU is important, if you plan on using consumer grade software such as Corel VideoStudio or Cyberlink Director then you need to do a lot of research into what your chosen NLE needs to perform acceptably.

Regardless of your future editing plans, I would always pick NVIDIA over AMD for the GPU. So as you can see, only you can answer what exactly you will need. If you decide to go the desktop route, Puget Systems is an excellent resource for desktop HW build advice. Each time I am planning a new editing workstation, I go there to read up on the latest video editing HW and test results.

If you are very serious about video editing and about to launch a career in it, then I wouldn't buy anything now if you can afford to wait. NVIDIA is about to release their RTX 4xxx series GPUs and I am hoping NVIDIA's latest GPUs will finally be able to GPU accelerate 10bit H.265 4:2:2 footage. That will be a game changer for those of us with the latest mirrorless cameras.

I will nearly always recommend NVIDIA over AMD when it comes to video editing.

I agree with @rcee I would never recommend a laptop for video editing. The screens are way too small to properly set up video editing software, they have subpar video cards no matter how much you spend, you will need to outfit them with monitors, mice, external storage, etc, and the video cards are not upgradeable so as new GPU features and capabilities are released you are stuck in that moment in time when you bought the laptop.

I don't know what your budget is or how serious you are about getting into video editing or what types of video footage you plan on editing (drone only, mirrorless, cinema, etc) or how important mobility is to you.

If you plan on living out of hotels and travelling the world then obviously a laptop is your only option. But if you are mostly stationary with a few trips here and there a desktop is a far better option. If you are very serious about video production and plan on shooting, editing, and delivering professionally, you will need a desktop and to properly set it up you are looking at easily over $3000.

Your video editor makes a big difference as well, if you plan on using Davinci Resolve then the GPU is more important, if you plan on using PP then the CPU and to a lesser extent the GPU is important, if you plan on using consumer grade software such as Corel VideoStudio or Cyberlink Director then you need to do a lot of research into what your chosen NLE needs to perform acceptably.

Regardless of your future editing plans, I would always pick NVIDIA over AMD for the GPU. So as you can see, only you can answer what exactly you will need. If you decide to go the desktop route, Puget Systems is an excellent resource for desktop HW build advice. Each time I am planning a new editing workstation, I go there to read up on the latest video editing HW and test results.

If you are very serious about video editing and about to launch a career in it, then I wouldn't buy anything now if you can afford to wait. NVIDIA is about to release their RTX 4xxx series GPUs and I am hoping NVIDIA's latest GPUs will finally be able to GPU accelerate 10bit H.265 4:2:2 footage. That will be a game changer for those of us with the latest mirrorless cameras.
Thanks for the info. All I have now is an old Sony Viao. It doesn't even playback 4K. I'm still researching into proxies and learning about them.

Thanks for the info. All I have now is an old Sony Viao. It doesn't even playback 4K. I'm still researching into proxies and learning about them.

Proxies are very useful when the video footage cannot be edited any other way on a workstation or laptop that cannot edit the footage smoothly. I strongly dislike them because it could take hours before they are done being created and that's hours you are waiting to start editing. I much prefer having the HW needed to start editing right away.

In DR I prefer the optimized media option. With optimized media, you cut up the footage then if something is stuttering or not playing back properly after adding effects, color grading, etc. you can just create a proxy file for those few seconds which only takes a few seconds vs waiting hours to create proxies for all of the footage most of which you won't use. For this to work properly though, you still need a powerful enough editing system to at least cut up the footage.

Reactions: PoorMoney
Proxies are very useful when the video footage cannot be edited any other way on a workstation or laptop that cannot edit the footage smoothly. I strongly dislike them because it could take hours before they are done being created and that's hours you are waiting to start editing. I much prefer having the HW needed to start editing right away.

In DR I prefer the optimized media option. With optimized media, you cut up the footage then if something is stuttering or not playing back properly after adding effects, color grading, etc. you can just create a proxy file for those few seconds which only takes a few seconds vs waiting hours to create proxies for all of the footage most of which you won't use. For this to work properly though, you still need a powerful enough editing system to at least cut up the footage.
Yeah, I don't have a powerful laptop. This thing is from the earlier 2000s

Video editing is a financially endless bottomless pit. New cameras come out shooting with new codecs, bitrates, compression algorithms, resolutions, color spaces, etc, requiring you to upgrade the GPU and CPU to keep up and then the cycle starts all over again. If all you ever will do is edit drone footage the NVIDIA laptop will probably be fine; but usually once you get hooked you will want to start adding effects, color grades, key frames, speed ramps, titles, transitions, audio, etc. etc. and will quickly outgrow the laptop at which point buying a desktop where you can upgrade the GPU would have been more cost effective.

Well, I've just researched something. I have a Samsung Note 20 Ultra...it has Samsung Dex which can basically run like a laptop. I'm going to try that for now with editing. 🤔

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy